Hard Drive Recommendations? - Long Life

Accursed

Gawd
Hello, Building a simple mail server for about 60 users. Using a Dell PowerEdge R210 with no on board RAID. Any Recommendations for a Hard drive that's reliable and has a long life. Speed and such aren't important.

Any recommendations? 250GB or greater SATA drive...

Thank you in Advance.

Any Recommendations for a Hard drive that's reliable and has a long life.

Look for SAS drives if you want longer life than the 5 year expectancy of SATA drives. Although even SAS drives will die.

Look for SAS drives if you want longer life than the 5 year expectancy of SATA drives. Although even SAS drives will die.

Hmm, So maybe I should just bite the bullet and get an add on RAID card?

Thank you for the tip.

Any recommendations for a simple SAS Raid 1 card then? I'm guessing not much difference from one card or another...

Edit: No looks like their is a bunch of differences in SAS cards...

Last edited:
If you want to keep it cheap go WD Black.

5 Year Warranty.

You can send them in at 4yr 3/4 for all fresh drives if you need.

2TB should last you a while I`d imagine... then you can step up to raid down the road, etc.. I'd run RAID/Mirroring from the start if it were me.

5 Year Warranty.

You can send them in at 4yr 3/4 for all fresh drives if you need.

2TB should last you a while I`d imagine... then you can step up to raid down the road, etc.. I'd run RAID/Mirroring from the start if it were me.

I have had a really good track record with WD too.

5 Year Warranty.

Those die however just like any other SATA drive. At work where I have 200+ drives, I have 1 WDC black drive and 2 Seagates going out for RMA this week which puts the total to 8 drives RMA'd this year all of which were less than 3 years old. Lets see 4 seagates, 2 WDC blacks ,1 samsung and 1 hitachi. Hmm. I think we will break last years 7% failure rate..

Last edited:
I have an older 500GB Seagate running 24/7 for 4yrs. Awesome disk if you ask me. Not sure if SAS drives are worth it, though, but I wouldn't buy them.

Those die however just like any other SATA drive. At work where I have 200+ drives, I have 1 WDC black drive and 2 Seagates going out for RMA this week which puts the total to 8 drives RMA'd this year all of which were less than 3 years old. Lets see 4 seagates, 2 WDC blacks ,1 samsung and 1 hitachi. Hmm. I think we will break last years 7% failure rate..
How much more reliable are your SAS drives?

I just decommissioned a web server from 2003 that had been running 10+ websites 24/7 and doing 10-15gigs of backups per-night in a controlled data-center with 2 WD SATA Drives, and RAID1.

1 drive was replaced in 2004, and since then no replacements.
Running 24/7

Back