Hard Drive Prices Soar 28 Percent After Thai Floods

Why do you think that every HDD on the planet is bought through places like newegg? A vast and significant majority of HDD's are sold to OEM's. They have nice contracts in place which guarantee a certain amount at certain price. These contracts are more important that a small business or the home user.
Who the hell mentioned newegg? Certainly not I.

Would it have made you feel better if I said Dell computer cost $349.99 before the floods, now costs $399.99 after the floods? Then try to argue why the same hard drive preflood cost $180 due to said 28% logic?

Besides, using Newegg as a reference point to see how much HD prices have risen is actually a better way of doing it than using an OEM manufacturer who already agreed upon a set price before the increase.

My guess is people here want a law which forces supply to exceed demand so price is always minimized to the consumer. :p
People don't want to be screwed, supply and demand is one thing, however collusion between companies to artificially keep prices high people don't like. And yeah there are laws against that sort of thing.

Can't buy the 28% increase... especially when my 3-year old 640GB hard drive is worth more now than when it was new. More like 228%...

Amazon's prices on the WD 1TB drives I bought a while ago are still up by almost 100%. 28% my ass.

Prices on 2TB drives are still more than double the deals I got last year ($69 to $79)

I'd like to buy another one, but I guess I'll be waiting for a while longer.

I started looking for hard drive deals like a hawk once the shortage started, and tracked down a 1TB WD Passport SE from Costco, and a 2TB Caviar Green from Best Buy, both for $80. I didn't need the capacity at the time (even with the new drive, I have 1.67TB free, and a lot of that stuff (like my music, I mean pr0n, no, I mean movies) could have stayed on their media, but I didn't want to be pushing up on the limit when prices stayed high.

I haven't seen prices like that recently, though. I really wouldn't mind having another (non-black glossy, this time) WD Passport SE.

Needed to buy a new 2TB the other day. Price was up 35% for the same model a few months ago. ouch.

BTW, that was the cheapest i can find. Probably from old stock.

Geez all HDD are product in Thailand? "Don't Put All Your Ducks In A Row" Time to move plants?

28% my ass. I saw a 2TB Hitachi 64M cache 7200 RPM drive for $89 at CompUSA last year. Went back to buy it the next weekend...post flood, and it was marked at $198. Same drive, same package, same spot on the same shelf.

It's price gouging plain and simple.

Geez all HDD are product in Thailand? "Don't Put All Your Ducks In A Row" Time to move plants?

Thats what I've been thinking... What would happen if civil war erruppted or some more long term effect? I know the total loss of HDDs wouldn't be as bad as the war, but sticking everything in one place seems kind of stupid. I know samsung HDDs were made in china and korea, but it looks like WD and shitgate are just in Thailand, the two companies that own all the HDD plants now. Maybe its time to diversify production, or switch to SDDs.

Where was the report from WD I think it was, that showed a 31% profit increase? Prices doubled almost across the board. There is no way there was only a 28% increase.

Where was the report from WD I think it was, that showed a 31% profit increase? Prices doubled almost across the board. There is no way there was only a 28% increase.

A bit of misleading with the numbers? Profit per unit went up. But how much will they earn annually with supplies down?

You probably mean Seagate, which wasn't affected by floods at all. Western Digital had a bad quarter - in their financial Q2 gone down from $225 million to $145 million (revenue down from $2.5 billion to $2 billion), number of hard drives shipped down from 52.2 million to 28.5 million.

hoping for an end of year return to normalcy. I think I can hold out until then.

I can't justify to myself buying new 2TB drives for twice the price.

Remember when RAM prices went skyrocketing and they came back down after a year, now they're cheaper than ever. Just have to wait, and buy RAM now while I'm thinking about it. :D

You guys just like to complain. Hard drives are dirt cheap. Compared to the Intel 520 SSD... ^-^

Price/performance wise I think most people would rather have the SSD if they dont need loads of storage space.

Back