Hard Drive not recognized by XP CD

onetwenty8k

2[H]4U
I'm trying to fix my friends laptop. SMART has predicted a failure and he's getting BSODs with windows file errors so I want to do a Repair install but it won't recognize the HD. Any way I can force a windows repair install, maybe from within Windows? The computer still boots and functions, but it's having a lot of problems. Thanks.

It's an HP Laptop, fairly new.

a repair install wont fix the hard drive failure..I would back up all the files while the drive is still working..then replace the drive (or run some manufacturers tests on it)

I agree. If SMART errors are appearing, get everything important off that drive ASAP.

That's what I've been telling him but he wants to wait until he has the money to fix it. I got him to backup his important docs but that was it. Honestly, I'm just waiting for the drive to die.

S.M.A.R.T. ain't always reliable, no matter what "they" say, whoever "they" are.

Go to this page:

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

Locate the hard drive testing utility for the drive depending on who manufactured it. If one isn't listed, typically the Hitachi Drive Fitness Test will work on other brands just as well.

Run an advanced/thorough test on that drive and see what the results are, then proceed from there.

Back