Hard drive failure??

Notquiteanewbie

Limp Gawd
I came in this morning and I saw that our server was down. I found that the machine had rebooted and it could not start up because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/en-us

I followed the directions in that article up to step 5 in part one

now when i restart it gets to the windows server loading screen then forcefully restarts

when i try to start in safe mode it reaches a certain file and also forcefully restarts

i am running windows 2003 server enterprise edition w/sp1

it seems to be stopping at acpitabl.dat

what is the problem?

You could try running a repair install, assuming that file is corrupt. If this is a single drive, you could download and run the diag tools for it. If it's an array, is the array BIOS reporting any failures?

maybe bad ram? corrupting a file
but its weird it keeps rebooting on that specific file

problems with acpi*.* files point to BIOS problems. Have any settings in the BIOS been changed? Is the BIOS up to date? Is there any sort of corruption (MemTest, etc?)

I'm running a repair install right now but i'm getting a lot of file copy errors :(
no changes were made to the bios or registry, this was an exchange server

run a chkdsk on the drive from a command prompt that will tell you if the drive is failing.

Lowbatt said:
run a chkdsk on the drive from a command prompt that will tell you if the drive is failing.
I'd check the RAM first, don't want it corrupting anything else if it's the cause.

edit: and on that note, I'll beat Ice Czar to the punch.
Corruption 101

i didn't need to run any tests really, after about an hour or two of attempting to repair windows 2003, i decided to restart and boot from erd commander 2005 to salvage everything I could. Upon restart the bios smart monitor informed me that a hard drive failure was imminent :( So needless to say I had a late night last night

at least u nailed the problem and its solved. good luck with recovering that data, PM me if u need some more assistance ;)

Back