Hard drive Failure ( Raptor! noes! ) Question

Jpitzo

Limp Gawd
So, my beloved 150gb raptor died/is in the process of dying on me. I came home last night to a blue screen and upon restarting I had a S.M.A.R.T. error saying my raptor is in need of replacement. Windows and ubuntu both are now unbootable. Windows goes nowhere, however I get to the nvidia splash screen in ubuntu.

Is there anyway to possibly recover some data off this drive? It seems incredibly odd that the raptor would fail, considering its only and year and a half old! Does the freezer trick actually do anything or is that just some myth...

thanks in advance

joey

If it can read anything off the drive (e.g. to attempt booting) then obviously it can read data off the drive.

Just boot off something else and try to start copying files. Hopefully it will be that simple.

Freezing works in some specific circumstances. Try the above first.

you can get a cable for like $20 that converts SATA (and SATA power) to USB, then you would be able to transfer the data to another HD on a system that doesn t have boot issues. good luck...

you can get a cable for like $20 that converts SATA (and SATA power) to USB, then you would be able to transfer the data to another HD on a system that doesn t have boot issues. good luck...

That's not really necessary, just boot off the drive you're going to copy to. I've never seen a single-device SATA controller.

yes the warrenty is 5 years, but i have important info on it... :-( ++

I tried accessing it from another computer, and interestingly enough, I was able to access my ubuntu partition but my windows ( where the stuff i need is ) is a no go. In fact, on the other computer i used, vista wouldnt boot at all when I had the drive even connected ( weird mounting issues i assume ). Also, chkdsk couldn't even complete...

soooo as of now its in the freezer as a last ditch effort, but man, I must be incredibly unlucky to have a raptor fail on me after a mere 1.5 years.

Back