Hard Drive dying? Computer "freezes" for 1-2 seconds while gaming / Windows 7

Prose

Weaksauce
Not really sure what the issue is here... re-installed vid drivers and did a bunch of cleaning / driversweeper / registry cleanup... ran the disk check utility and it came back OK - drive isn't fragmented... I'm really stumped...

Any thoughts? Should I be backing up my HD and preparing for the sadness?

so everything is blue except for "Reallocated Sectors Count" which is yellow... there is a "health status" caution warning with regards to that.

I've noticed that video playback freezes up as well. The audio seems to almost sit behind the video.

so everything is blue except for "Reallocated Sectors Count" which is yellow... there is a "health status" caution warning with regards to that.

Yup, the drive is on its way to the grave

jeez really? the thing is hardly a couple of years old.

so this would be wholey the cause for the stuttering and other problems I've been running into?

so this would be wholey the cause for the stuttering and other problems I've been running into?

When it stutters it's probably finding a bad sector and trying to remap it. I would back up the data as soon as possible and contact the manufacturer for warranty service if applicable.

Age / Usage is not always the reason why drives die. You can have a drive that is DOA or one that lasts 10 years.

while we're on the topic - anyone have any hard drive recommendations for a replacement? I didn't think three years ago I'd be replacing one so fast and I have to say I'm a little pissed. I doubt I still qualify for warranty unfortunately.

What model is your drive? And how do you use it (how long is it on during the day, what do you do on the computer)?

Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB - ST31500341AS - the computer is on for most of the day (i work from it, trading). I also play games - BF3 / etc - was playing Diablo 3 (when servers were cooperating) and it almost seemed like the effect you used to get back when you had to load some content from a CD and the CD would have to start spinning up. I actually started noticing it when playing some nostalgic Diablo 2 a couple of weeks ago. The funny thing is that when i was playing D3 open BETA the problem wasn't there at all, but I guess it's really just only starting now?

That should have had either a 3 or 5 year warranty.

Yep. Go over to Seagates site and punch in your model and serial number on the warranty check page. It might still be covered. I would recommend either a Hitachi 5k or 7k drive as a replacement.

Ok thanks guys. I actually partitioned another chunk of the drive and threw on a new copy of Windows etc and was still noticing the same problems - so that pretty much settles it.

Thanks for the assistance as always. I'll look into the Warranty, thanks.

Back