Hard Drive data recovering.

A15G

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a seagate hard drive that gave up on me. It no longer wants to spin, it has warranty until 2015 and i've contacted Seagate about a replacement and they said they will give me one.

I also asked about there data recovery service, and the fee was sky high. Has anyone been in this situation and have had successful data recovery with a different data recovery place? I do not want to spend over $599++ for my data, but however do really need them too. What are my options?

Data recovery isn't cheap. If you need to recover it, you'll have to pay the price. This is why it is suggested that everyone perform regular backups.

Data recovery isn't cheap. If you need to recover it, you'll have to pay the price. This is why it is suggested that everyone perform regular backups.

Man, that is just retarded. I guess I will just not buy from seagate again, this is the 4-5th drive from them that has died within 1-2 years.

Man, that is just retarded. I guess I will just not buy from seagate again, this is the 4-5th drive from them that has died within 1-2 years.

I'd think the fact that you've had 4 or 5 drive failures in a few years would have also been a sign that you should use some sort of backup solution.

599 is cheap for data recovery actually. I tend to trust DriveSavers most for recovery so you might want to get a quote from them.

Saying you won't buy from Seagate again will not solve your problem. All drives fail, it's just a matter of time. Some fail right away, some wait a few months, some go for years, others get a few bad sectors right off the bat and run for years. After going through 13 WD Green 2TBs in a year, I truly understand the meaning of backup. Seagate screwed me, cheap WD drives fail left and right, Samsung is under Seagate, Hitachi is under WD...the 2 companies I'd rather buy drives from really aren't themselves anymore. Just have a backup.

Turns out the controller board fried (the sata power connector port). I am going to buy an EXACT HDD and replace the board with my failed one. Hopefully it'll spark it back up to where I can get my files.

Then place back the fried controller, send in for RMA.

Your (newly-) failed drive is a pretty new model (given a warranty expiration of 2015--mfg >= 2010). Therefore, it is highly likely that the board swap you plan is not going to be sufficient. That is because there is (most likely) a separate memory chip containing servo and calibration data specific to that single (failed) drive. That chip must also be transplanted. Disk recovery pros do this routinely.

I don't know what the consequences of foregoing that transplant are, but I doubt it is good.

Just thought you should be made aware of this ...

As for backups ... in the words of John Connor Jr (T2): "Are we learning yet?" :)

4-5 drives in a year? Time to get a new PSU and UPS I'm thinking

More like not, my WD drives are doing fine.

Your (newly-) failed drive is a pretty new model (given a warranty expiration of 2015--mfg >= 2010). Therefore, it is highly likely that the board swap you plan is not going to be sufficient. That is because there is (most likely) a separate memory chip containing servo and calibration data specific to that single (failed) drive. That chip must also be transplanted. Disk recovery pros do this routinely.

I don't know what the consequences of foregoing that transplant are, but I doubt it is good.

Just thought you should be made aware of this ...

As for backups ... in the words of John Connor Jr (T2): "Are we learning yet?" :)

I've sent in my board to get it fixed, the cost was $49 with free return shipping. They are located in canada and it's not that bad actually. They will re-solder the new chip onto the new board, I don't think there are any consequences.

Back