Hard drive corrupted, what to do?

Eric1285

[H]ard|Gawd
My secondary hard drive is corrupted. I can't read any data off the drive, and attempting to modify its contents, such as emptying the recycle bin, causes my computer to restart. When I open up the drive in My Computer, everything is jargon and it says the drive is like 189mb, when it's really 120GB. I can't run check disk on it from windows, and when it tries to run check disk at startup, it crashes the computer. There was never any clicking, it's a brand new drive that I installed only about 3 months ago just to hold my music files. I rarely use it for anything else, so it's never undergone intense use. Any suggestions or ideas on what might be wrong or how to fix it would be appreciated.

I'm running Windows XP SP2 on an Athlon 3200+ with an Asus A7N8X Deluxe mobo. Drive is a Maxtor 120GB drive, 7200 RPM with 8mb cache. It's hooked up as the primary slave. Primary harddrive is the master. I have two optical drives on the secondary channel. BIOS detects drive correctly, jumper pins on the drives are set correctly and the cable is connected correctly. I think the hard drive may be formatted under FAT32...I guess I forgot to change it to NTFS when I installed it.

The corruption could well be caused by your overclocking. I'd run the manufacturers diagnostics on the drive, and if they pass then set your system back to all default speeds, reformat the drive in NTFS and see what happens.

Most likely there is no recovering the data since it is all ready jumbled.

tdg said:
The corruption could well be caused by your overclocking. I'd run the manufacturers diagnostics on the drive, and if they pass then set your system back to all default speeds, reformat the drive in NTFS and see what happens.

Most likely there is no recovering the data since it is all ready jumbled.

Damn...that's all my music...including like 35 ripped CD's at alt preset extreme...gonna have to spend a whole day re-ripping music I guess.

The overclocking never caused any trouble on my main drive, or on any of my other IDE drives....I doubt it's that.

I just ran Maxtor's quick diagonostic...it said everything was fine, strangely enough. I'm running the thorough diagnostic now, but it's taking forever. I'm hoping that I won't have to resort to reformatting it and losing all my info.

Well, it just completed the thorough test and said it was error free. I'm stumped as to what the problem is now.

Overclocking can certainly corrupt data on your HD..

Go back to stock speeds just to test, see if that will let you run chkdsk or not.

Also virus scan, and spyware scan..

==>Lazn

I guess I'll try it. Still seems strange to me that overclocking did nothing to my primary hard drive for over a year and a half, and then would just corrupt my brand new one after 3 months.

Back