Hard Drive Cloning ( v Norton Ghost 14)

nismohks

Limp Gawd
i just formatted my laptop to do a fresh install of winxp SP3, and now i want to make a clone of it, so that in future i will be able to boot with a dvd, then just load windows back on automatically.

Now, i have norton Ghost 14, but have NO IDEA how to use it.

which option should i use?

- Run or Manage Backups
- One Time Backup <<--- What is this????

I want to create a bootable DVD, so that in future i can just boot it, and recover without ever getting into windows. It should have my whole windows and the applications and drivers ive installed on it.

Would this boot image only write to 1 partition? i have 2 partitions on my hard drive.

One more thing is that my laptop has no dvd burner. Is it possible to burn the bootable dvd on my desktop computer?

Thanks

The best way to use Ghost is to run it from a BartPE disc. Then you can send your image to a network drive or an external USB drive. Making a DVD bootable is easy as well. You can make the DVD DOS bootable using most burning utilities, and then just have the ghost.exe file and the image file on the DVD. Or, you could even burn it back to another BartPE disc, and run it from there. I keep a sysprepped image on a bootable DVD at work, so anytime I need to set up a new machine, I boot from the DVD, and reimage it from there. I've been using Ghost for almost 10 years now, and I have never EVER installed it.

sorry, but could you please provide more detailed information?

waht you have described seems to be pretty much exactly what i want, but i am kinda lost....:p

eg, what is sysprep, bartPE, and how come u r using ghost but never installed???

Thanks for your help. Muchly appreciated!

Regards

I don't like having my imaging software installed on the system I am trying to take an image of. I'd rather do it from outside the OS. BartPE is a customizable, bootable OS-like environment that let's you run tools on a system without actually booting the OS on the system. Sysprep is a way to set up Windows and the applications you want, and then create images to be pushed out to various computers....but that's not really relevent towhat you want to do. I use the ghost32.exe file that should be part of the Ghost package, and I stick that on the BartPE disc before I burn it.

BartPE looks hard to use....

i guess im looking for something simpler to use.

how is Acronis btw?

i use the Acronis Disk Director and find it quite handy to use

BartPE is very simple to use. You run the wizard, add-in any modules you want, and then burn the .iso file to a disc....which it all handles for you.

try ghost and bartpe and see what one you like better.
I've used a few but seem to use ghost. But I have pebuilder
on the desktop of this computer I'm on and just redid and will be using
pebuilder to back it up. It's been awhile so I have to use it again.

Back