Hard Drive Clicking (resetting?) and then Hard Lock

PCMonkey

Weaksauce
I dunno if this is the right Forums for a hardware problem, but i've been here before and have gotten help in various areas.

I recently repalced a hard drive ( have had it for 3 years) that had been experiencing the symptom in the subject heading. It got bad enough that one day i lost my partitions. Now i have a 120 GB HDD and today it just experienced this symptom only a few weeks after replacing the old one.

I was wondering what might cause a hard drive to recalibrate. I know it's not the typical "head crash" that you may all be thinking of because i can boot up fine after it happens and no data is missing.

Could it be a lack of power from the PSU? Vibration from fans?

Would your drive happen to be a WD SE? Mine has been doing that for years, and its annoying as hell. I've had no data loss and no errors anywhere, but it will just occasionally lock.

Its not your PSU, mine has done the same with an Antec, a TT 480W, and a PCP&C 510D.

actualy it is a Maxtor Diamondmax

I'm jsut wondering if it is something causing hte hard drive to do this rather than the drive going bad, because it's a brand new drive. like i say i've only had it a few weeks and it took 3 years for my 80GB Maxtor to experience this.

Is it a Diamondmax 16 by any chance? My friend had one of those die only the other week. Lost of alot of data and the drive is just too ropey to use again.

Back