Hard drive backup program

BoyBlunder

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm looking for a program that will let me set a certain time of day to backup all the new files in the folder(s) I select.

Anyone know of anything?

well, you could use a cron-type program to initiate a backup.

For Windows, this could be pycron (check Google) calling xcopy (in your dos window)
Not a formal software backup app, but it would do the trick.

There is a program called Dantz Retrospect. It's the program that comes bundled with those Maxtor OneTouch external drives, but you can buy it seperatly. I haven't used it personally, but I heard it does what you are asking. It creates a backup of your whole drive, then you set a schedule for it, and it will backup the files that were recently created or added. That way it only backs up what is new. So it'll save you time by not having to backup the whole drive again. It's website is http://www.dantz.com/ .

I'll repeat again that xcopy, a command already in WinXP, can do just that for free, instead of the $130 price tag of Retrospect

xcopy c: d:/backup /D /E /H /C /Y /Q

copies c: to d:/backup, including all files/subdirectories with modification dates newer than those at target (or non-existant files), including system/hidden files. Continues past errors, assumes "Yes" to overwrite, quiet mode.

Schedule it via windows scheduler.

//edit: various criteria of xcopy ordered according to command parameter order

Back