hard disk question....show hidden files in vista?

surfbug

Limp Gawd
hey!

I ahve an 80 gb hard drive

it is clean , when I look at it under explorer....

vista home premium, x32---SP1

but, when I look under "properties"--it says I am using 4gb of the 80gb

but I cant see it!

are these files hidden, and how do I view them?

thanks, Al

its either page file or hidden system files..

look in your page file settings and see if vista is using that drive for page file storage..

To view hidden files: open computer, press the alt key to show the old menu bar, click Tools, then Folder Options. Under the View tab select "Show Hidden Files and Folders."

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, I don't have a Vista/7 system in front of me.

To view hidden files: open computer, press the alt key to show the old menu bar, click Tools, then Folder Options. Under the View tab select "Show Hidden Files and Folders."

Yeah there's that and you'll probably want to show Protected O/S Files too. Its just a check box down from the hidden folders option.

"Folder options" is also available under Organize in the command bar.

yah---thanks, this lets me click "show hidden folders"

but I still see "used space" and cant see the folders---

70.3 gb free of 74.4 gb

any other thoughts>? it isnt hidden files.....

its either page file or hidden system files..

look in your page file settings and see if vista is using that drive for page file storage..

how do I see the page file settings? where do I see that stuff? thanks for the help so far

how do I see the page file settings? where do I see that stuff? thanks for the help so far

Start -> right click on Computer -> Properties -> Advanced System Settings -> Settings (under Performance) -> Advanced tab

Click change under the virtual memory section and see if there's anything listed next to the drive letter for the 80 GB drive.

Most any 3rd party defrag will show you the used space. O&O will show you what and where.

Back