Hard Core Cooling Guru's... Need Some Help With Fan Design

CustomModAddict

Limp Gawd
First post, dropped out of the mod scene for a bit, and all my old forums seem to be dead. Hard Forums seems to be the hopping spot. So here I am....

So here I am building a ground up monster gaming rig for my 13 year old son. I am mocking up the water cooling system now, checking to see how it all lays out in the case. And I ran into a slight design issue, that I need some help with.

I am using my last Chyang Fun A320 Case, and I am installing a 350 rad into the bottom. But since my son lives 1000 miles away, I wanted the cooling system to be easy to maintain, and I was leaning more towards proper operation then looks. So I have the rad sitting at the bottom of the case on the outside, will put some custom CNC'd legs, and then the 80cfm 120mm fans will bolt up through the case bottom. But for function, I wanted the fans pulling into the case from the bottom. This allows for two important things, 1) pulls in the coolest air possible across the rad, and 2) makes cleaning the rad for dust and dirt a lot easier then opening the case, and moving fans.

Where my problem lies, is cosmetically it looks like crap because the fans crappy looking back end is exposed upwards. So I was wondering anyone run into this problem, and has any ideas or solutions, before I mount them ugly side up? See photos below for better picture of the issue.... looking for some feedback.

download

download

off hand I would think about finding a nice grill that would help hide that. Trouble is I dont keep track of rad model numbers and dont know what size a "350" grill is .

These guys have the biggest selection, something should fit.
http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g30..._Cooling_Radiators-Radiator_Grills-Page1.html

Sorry didnt notice i meant 360 grill. Basically a 3 120mm rad.

And thanks for the recommendation, I have been using frozen CPU since they open there doors. Yeah I was looking for some fan covers that would hide it, but not much out there. So as usual with a build gonna have to make them by hand.

Just ordered the fans and other parts to dry mount the rad and see what or how to mount the fans. I was thinking of maybe trying to do a vacuum formed cover for the rad and fans.Think that would be cool, it would look like it was molded. Any other ideas are welcome.

Gonna move ya down into the water cooling section, I have been letting the H50/70 post stay up top as they (arguably) are not full blown water cooling. The guys down "in the basement " will be more familiar and may come up with something.

BTW welcome !!!

And its a moral imperative to cut out those rear stamped into the case fan grills and install wire guards :D

Last edited:
Back