Harassment in VR Gaming Apparently a Problem

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
cNet is reporting on a survey released by the research firm, The Extended Mind, and social VR platform Pluto VR. The survey of 600 people who play VR games at least twice a month state that 49% of female respondents have experienced sexual harassment, as well as 35% of male respondents. One respondent even recalled being "crouched down to look at a texture ... and immediately experienced another avatar 'thrusting' in my face." The horror.

"Harassment and fear of harassment represent an obstacle to the growth of multi-user VR platforms." Oh dear! Some people in this world really need to eat some concrete and [H]arden up. Thanks to cageymaru for the story.

"If you're having a video call with someone and they lean into their camera, that's not something that's violating your personal bubble," Gibson said. In VR, it's a different story. "Your brain sees that something is too close to you."

>cNet
who lost their reputation years ago
>reporting on a survey
ok, so this is useless article
>by research firm the Extended mind
quick google finds nothing, therefore not a real group
>and social VR platform Pluto VR
quick google on the company finds that they are located in "shithole, seattle" ( 5245 Shilshole Ave NW Seattle WA 98107)
>survey of 600 people who play VR
So every person who bothered to install this Pluto VR crap?

Thanks for the useless advertisement for Pluto veiled as "news", Cagey.

oh ffs. does VR need a safe space too? What is that 'sport' where people play in giant bubbles? Is that how video games should be where you play multiplayer?

Unlike in real life there is an off button. But if you're sensitive to this (i.e. you can't laugh it off for whatever reason and there may be good reasons) well form your own safe zero tolerance community--is it really that hard? BTW, why are people doing the social stuff in VR just play the game? Isn't it bad enough in RL when you know the other people, but we've seen for a long time what happens when people have anonymity...one reason I don't Reddit, oh and yeah I'm WhoMe, glad to meet you all.

so do use aps where people are dicks? how is that so hard

Literally no one gives a crap about your outrage culture but the Social Jihadist Warriors who are addicted to crybullying.

As an aside, it is important to make it publicly heard that you do not care either for this manufactured outrage and safe space culture. The more people who mock this neo-Marxist, infantilizing nonsense, the faster the rest of the public feels comfortable publicly agreeing with and stating their distaste for the SJW busybodies infesting our society.

Last edited:
I feel like there's a lot of hate going on for what basically amounts to people don't like it when others grief in games. I don't play with cheaters, people who spam racist/dumb shit all game or any other people who are there just to grief, I just find another game. I expect plenty of you guys just move on to another lobby or game. People talk about toxic game communities and player bases and wish it was better. I guess everyone should just harden up and deal with everyone that causes trouble and never say you didn't enjoy their asshattery when asked or risk being a called a snowflake.

Also, I don't see how VR can be heralded as an immersive experience that's different than playing any other regular video game and think that someone getting in your face in VR isn't also different. When you see someone feel uneasy/scared/uncomfortable in VR because they're looking over a cliff that's not really there that's a different experience than any normal gaming. To then say that someone can't also feel more unsettled by other peoples actions in VR is laughable. If it's all the same, why do VR when you could just sit at your monitor, how's it any different right?

Everyone should go watch the show Black Mirror Season 2 Ep 4. Something like that will happen if PC crybaby culture wins.

The amount of people who have even tried VR is minuscule, let alone the people who play it a couple of times per month and are members of "VR platform Pluto VR" - this could not be more irrelevant. Sounds like their VR social platform is designed in such a way that people get easily annoyed and uncomfortable - publishing that is a great way to recruit new customers I'm sure.

I always figured that harassing other players was expected. I'd be a little offended if I didn't get teabagged at least once playing CS for an hour.

The VR world is going to be no different to the real world !! Same people, same issues. I wonder where to apply to be a VR cop ;)

Harassment is expected with most online gaming, VR is no exception. If they want to provide some solution, they should allow users to block / mute / report / ban etc. depending on the type of game. If the user still feels too uncomfortable they may just have to avoid the particular game or deal with it.

Harassment is expected with most online gaming, VR is no exception. If they want to provide some solution, they should allow users to block / mute / report / ban etc. depending on the type of game. If the user still feels too uncomfortable they may just have to avoid the particular game or deal with it.

In spite of how laughable this is, there's still a part of me that wonders why online gaming has to be a safe space for degenerates. Is it so difficult being a nasty little wad of wasted semen that these people just require the entire internet to be a place where they can display their mental sickness without fear of consequence?

I know the solution, real addresses attached to signing up for games and well-armed, well-regulated, and well-trained militias of men and women of higher standard that can go to the home of an online degenerate to administer real world consequences for improper behaviour, like they did back when men were men and the entire world was a "safe space" for normal people. Nothing too hideous, mind you! No mass shootings, these will be real militias. Just a vigorous mauling, nothing that requires a hospital stay but something that will allow the opportunity for the perpetrator to examine the thickness of his or her own blood. We could get back to the old days when acting like a complete waste of skin wasn't acceptable anywhere.

Literally no one gives a crap about your outrage culture but the Social Jihadist Warriors who are addicted to crybullying.

As an aside, it is important to make it publicly heard that you do not care either for this manufactured outrage and safe space culture. The more people who mock this neo-Marxist, infantilizing nonsense, the faster the rest of the public feels comfortable publicly agreeing with and stating their distaste for the SJW busybodies infesting our society.

I honestly can't fathom this mindset of yours.

Is it really too much to expect that people on the internet don't act like dipshits? What you're really suggesting is that immature, disrespectful behaviour ought to be considered normative and that those who don't like it need to suck it up.

Classic victim blaming that is; perhaps you're one of those immature dipshits who had a piss-poor upbringing and who doesn't like this particular finger pointed at you, is that it then?

As mocking as you might be about the seriousness of this is on a social media platform, it is a serious issue.

Vr platforms and social media platforms allow people to act out in ways that aren't socially acceptable in the real world. One has to wonder If you treat people as objects in VR how that carries forth in the real world. It's a scary idea if you think about it. You have to realize everyone deserves mutual respect.

While I enjoy a healthy debate on ideas and technology, I don't engage in social media platforms for a reason. It just got too ugly. There is too much disfunction there.

There are certain standards for behavior in civilized society, and these people are violating those standards. Don't think for one minute these people don't realize there is a real person they are acting lewdly towards. If this is supposed to be the expected behavior of the gaming society, then we have a problem.

So, we've made heckling against the law right?

anyways, seems like in the past we'd use mods to bump folks that were ruining the gameplay, or use some type of ignore function, or in the case of a game like CS:S with somebody cheating/being irritating to everybody... everybody would just focus on that one person until they disconnected. was pretty funny to help/watch TKing before a satisfying ragequit (or mod ban). We just continued the fun regardless of the situation :)

This is just to sell newspapers. Nearly ALL of these chat or social apps, as well as most games in general in VR, have a "personal space" bubble that fades out other people's avatars as they infringe on your personal space.

i-like-this-planet-you-get-off-futurama.png

Single player, or play with bots is pretty much the solution.

At worst, just play with people you know in real life who aren't douchebags. Problem solved.

A bit different, in VRChat I was talking with some guys and we saw this girl just walking on by with some dude trailing behind her shouting. "You're a cunt! You're a cunt!" You don't see how that might be a little annoying?

Sure i see your point and that sounds like legitimate harassment. I would imagine the chat has some sort of report function she and others like yourself could use in situations like that right? People in general can be assholes and idiots and if i saw someone doing that in real life or VR i would call them out / report them.

A bit different, in VRChat I was talking with some guys and we saw this girl just walking on by with some dude trailing behind her shouting. "You're a cunt! You're a cunt!" You don't see how that might be a little annoying?

/ignore <cunt sayer>

Problem solved.

Back