Haptic Feedback Gloves for Passive Learning and Rehabilitation

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
Several years ago researchers at the Georgia Institute of Technology created a mind bending bit of technology, a haptic learning glove. The original study showed that wearing the glove, which gives slight vibrations on each finger, allowed beginners to learn to play piano melodies in 45 minutes.

10 years later, and the researchers have advanced that technology to incorporate passive haptic learning, allowing people to acquire motor skills through vibrations, without even paying attention to their hands. Georgia Tech professor Thad Starner, and Ph.D student Caitlyn Seim examined the effectiveness of the gloves in teaching Braille. In a controlled study, wearers of the gloves were on average a third more accurate than the control group at writing Braille, and the knowledge even transferred into being able to read Braille for the glove group.

Absolutely amazing. And in addition to all the things above, the video as well as this article, go into how passive haptic learning can help improve sensation and mobility for people with spinal cord injuries. While some wearables are mind bendingly stupid, this goes to show that there is also some really incredible stuff going on. You can also check out the full research paper here. Huge thanks to Guarana [BAWLS] for the story.

"Equipment used for hand rehabilitation may seem monotonous and boring to some, and doesn’t provide any feedback or incentive," said Starner, who oversees the Contextual Computing Group. "Mobile Music Touch overcomes each of those challenges and provides surprising benefits for people with weakness and sensory loss due to SCI. It’s a great example of how wearable computing can change people’s lives."

So cool! I'm employed by a company that provides supportive services for people with disabilities from childhood thru adulthood. Anyone whose read my posts can see I provide a supportive IT segment to the organization. As a fan of Led Zeppelin, and a number of British bands, I'm aware of a festival called Knebworth that provides funding to groups who discovered a connection of music and rehabilitation. These people have started there and reached other levels of language and that's truly amazing! rgMekanic Thanks for posting this, hadn't heard of it and plan on sharing it with those I work with.

o7

That is damn awesome....I wonder how much it would/will cost and where/when it will be available to the mass market
I so want to use these for something like possibly learning to play advanced guitar styles or piano cause that would be epic O.O

If it can help teach me how to play guitar better/faster, then I want one.

Back