Happy Windows 7! How'd your install go?

For those that have installed Windows 7 RTM, has the 70 item (program icons) limitation been fixed?

Problem is mentioned here:
http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/4354-program-icons-missing-all-programs-menu.html

It happened to me too when I upgraded from Vista x64 to Windows 7 x64 RC1 7100. I hope it's fixed in RTM build. It got on my nerves that I had to uninstall several programs I needed/deleted icons just to make the program icons reappear again.

(Oh, pre-ordered Windows 7 Ultimate from NewEgg.com. I can't wait to get it come October. It'll make a nice birthday present for me.)

Not to diminish the bug, assuming the bug still exists and the limitation is 70 items under programs and not 70 total (e.g. 10 folders with 7 programs in each), I can't imagine ever hitting this limit.
Although i try to avoid clicking through the menu, I would go crazy if I had to scroll through 70 menu items (before opening a folder).

With that said, I would hope that this beta bug was long ago fixed.

I'm playing with 64-bit Enterprise on a secondary system. Other than having to wait for a new version of Alcohol 52% everything is going swimmingly.

Finally got a chance to install the RTM copy I got for being in the beta. Install was super smooth. Ran the install from a usb stick as described in the sticky. Installed Microsoft security essentials, office 07, home server connector and a few other minor apps. no issues at all.

Installed Windows 7 RTM no issues at all.
All Drivers Installed just fine.
So far all my apps have been fine.

It's been very smooth install

I installed it via bootcamp. Had some driver issues to work out and it detected my keyboard as french canadian for some reason (I do live in Canada, but not the french part). After downloading the latest mobile Nvidia driver things seem to be working well, although the touchpad feels a little wonky.

Haven't really done much with it though, I'll have to see how it handles games.

7 has run all the games I've tried this far with no issues, things seem to run just a tab smoother but that could just be my 7 bias!

I've got 7 running on my desktop and my laptop, and besides a hitch on getting it installed on my desktop, I'm good.

I have run into a weird thing though, when ever tf2 loads a map, it sets my sound for tf2, and just tf2 under the sound mixed, to 20% instead of the normal 90%. I have to go into the mixer, move the slider, and its good till the next map change. Anyone else run across this?

On my 2nd Win7 Install on my Laptop and it is not going well at all. Out of the box Win7 x86 Pro didn't have drivers for my Netgear WAG511 card. So I hooked up via a wire and got connected to Windows update it found the drivers for all the missing equipment but I still can't connect wireless to my network. I have tried pretty much everything I can think of now but I am stuck. It's kind of amusing really, it use to be windows on my laptop was the best cause I never had any issues with it but now Ubuntu runs out of the box better than Windows 7.

Given the age of the nvidia graphics card in my laptop I know that will probably be another issue once I get to it. I just don't want to deal with it till wireless works cause honestly if that doesn't work there is no point to having win7 on my laptop without wireless.

Out of the box Win7 x86 Pro didn't have drivers for my Netgear WAG511 card. So I hooked up via a wire and got connected to Windows update it found the drivers for all the missing equipment but I still can't connect wireless to my network.

In my experience Windows Update sucks for wifi drivers. Manually download the Vista/7 driver from Netgear and try that. If all they have is a Vista driver run the installer in Vista compatibility mode.

I've been having a LOT of issues.

Every time I boot from the DVD it spends about 20 minutes at the Starting Windows screen. Then the initial screen comes up, I choose English, then click Install Now. After that it spends another 20 minutes or so thinking hard about... something.

The first time this happened, after the second 20 minute wait, it came up with a message saying it needed a driver for my CD/DVD drive. This seems silly, seeing as it was booting from the drive with no problem. My DVD drive was a SATA drive, and when I switched to a EIDE drive the message went away.

However, now it doesn't see my SATA hard drive. I extracted the latest NForce drivers to an external drive and pointed the Windows installer to those drivers, but even after loading them it still doesn't see my hard drive. I've tried switching the SATA port the hard drive is plugged into, but no luck.

I redownloaded the image and burned it again at a slower speed to see if maybe the original image or burn was corrupted and I'll try that tonight. I have an Asus P5N32-E SLI motherboard with an NForce 680 chipset. Vista has always installed on this machine without a single problem. Really at a loss here if the reburned DVD still doesn't work.

Last edited:
In my experience Windows Update sucks for wifi drivers. Manually download the Vista/7 driver from Netgear and try that. If all they have is a Vista driver run the installer in Vista compatibility mode.

Yeah that's another problem no win7 drivers, there are Vista ones though. The netgear software is an installer type and not just a zip file of the files necessary. The thing installs partially then says put the card into the slot, but the installer can't detect that it was inserted. So it just sits there. Until I can get the drivers from that I think I am stuck. In the install directory there is a driver dir but win 7 won't accept the drivers that are in there.

I've got 7 running on my desktop and my laptop, and besides a hitch on getting it installed on my desktop, I'm good.

I have run into a weird thing though, when ever tf2 loads a map, it sets my sound for tf2, and just tf2 under the sound mixed, to 20% instead of the normal 90%. I have to go into the mixer, move the slider, and its good till the next map change. Anyone else run across this?

http://www.askvg.com/fix-windows-7-automatically-reduces-system-volume-for-games-pc-calls/

Well my wireless issues were solved with modified Atheros chipset drivers :) Now I have to figure out which Nvidia drivers will still work in win 7 with a Geforce 460 go chipset. In case anyone else is having issues with Win7 and drivers laptopvideo2go.com has a lot of good drivers for your older laptops

Just finished another Win7 Pro 32bit on our relatively new Lenovo Y530 Ideapad laptop, went extremely smooth, and am currently installing Win7 Pro 32bit on an older Sony laptop, P4 with 1GB of ram.

I just got my work computer bootcamp install. Popped in the 10.5 disk and installed the drivers off there. Works flawlessly.

The boot files got splashed on the wrong drive and Windows couldn't find them to boot (installed off a USB drive). It put the boot files on one of the 750GB drives, and for some reason when it went to boot it only chose to look at the 150GB Raptor. Used a few tools in the pre-install environment (BCDEDIT, BOOTREC) and fixed everything.

Laptop = easy.

Well it seems you can use XP Drivers in Win7 Professional (run it in Compatibility Mode). I had to use them with this old Sony as there are no Vista or Win 7 drivers available for the laptop.

It got a performance rating of 1.0 since the onboard video is very weak.

Upgrade From Windows Vista Ultimate x64 to Windows 7 Ultimate x64 went perfectly, all my software appears to be working fine.

Only issue I had was with VMWare and networking. Some reconfiguration in the Virtual Network Editor fixed it though.

Hmm, just got all my parts for my new build. What are your opinions on installing Windows 7 instead of Vista? I'm torn right now between installing Vista X86 or going with the 64 bit version, or is W7 worth a shot? Also, if I install the RC version, I will basically have to do a clean install of another version when it expires in March?

Last edited:
I loooove windows 7. Strongly recommend jumping straight to it over Vista. You can still get the Win 7 RC for free if you want to test it out before buying and you can get the real deal (rtm) through a technet sub for evaluation.

I loooove windows 7. Strongly recommend jumping straight to it over Vista. You can still get the Win 7 RC for free if you want to test it out before buying and you can get the real deal (rtm) through a technet sub for evaluation.
So I'd have to become a subscriber to get the rtm version?

The RC will work clear through March of next year before the bi-hourly shutdowns begin. It's worth acquiring to get some experience with Windows 7. It's not a filled out and "fixed" as the RTM build is, but hey, it's free, it works, most people are still using it without any major issues, so give it a shot... can't hurt.

You have till August 20th to acquire it because they'll stop the downloads of the ISO on that day, but keys will still be available so, grab the ISOs while you can (x86 and x64 for safe keeping) and roll with it.

Ran into a an anomaly with my main PC vista. Every now and then when coming out of sleep mode some of the HDs are not present. I have to reboot the PC to get them back. I think it's a Win7 issue since in all the years that I had this machine on Vista x64 it never happened once. Any one else have this problem?

Also my laptop is working but I cannot get any of the various Win7 compatible Nvidia drivers to work with the old Geforce 460go card that is in the machine. Does anyone know if there is a way to install the really old drivers (talking about maybe 6x.xx to 8x.xx IIRC) to install in Win7? I think those were the last that I know of that worked with the 460go. I know under Linux I would have to use the "Legacy" nvidia drivers since the new ones won't work with the 460go. Right now I can get the 19x.xx and 18x.xx drivers to install but Win7 always disables the driver cause it detects a problem with the 460go, I am sure that is a missing feature that never was in the 460go ;).

You'll need to install the XP drivers for that old video chip, there's not much else you can do. They'll enable resolution and color depth changing ability, and provide some level of 2D acceleration (nothing like WDDM 1.1 hardware and drivers, however), and no Aero isn't going to work at all, but the XP drivers do work.

You'll need to do a manual install meaning don't use the setup.exe file or whatever, and Compatibility Mode (for XP) won't help much either. You've got to do it by pointing Device Manager to the folder with the .inf file for the drivers; it'll take care of the rest.

I've used the XP drivers on many old GeForce GO products in a variety of old laptops recently, never had issues getting them up and running. Those old GPUs just can't handle a lot anymore, most certainly not full Aero support (and it has nothing to do with the amount of video RAM either). I've had Aero working on video cards with 64MB of RAM - well under the so-called requirement of 128MB; the requirement is full DX9 support which the particular card(s) had.

I've used the XP drivers on many old GeForce GO products in a variety of old laptops recently, never had issues getting them up and running. Those old GPUs just can't handle a lot anymore, most certainly not full Aero support (and it has nothing to do with the amount of video RAM either).

Thanks for the info I was going to try it tonight, but I was kind of concerned that the XP drivers wouldn't be accepted at all under Win7 given the age that's why I kept trying various Win7 and Vista drivers. I really wasn't interested in aero for the laptop but the higher resolution is something I want back.

Jumped from a skt 939 x2 4200+ to system in sig and from XP x64.

Not one glitch so far.

Major stall towards the end where it was finalizing the installation. It got stuck for a good half-hour, eventually I had to just reboot and start the installation fresh.

Worked fine after that though.

After that, no issues with the OS.

Installed RTM on my main pc and the media center. No issues. Love the OS.

The OS works great on my laptop now that I got the nvidia drivers going (I had to go to 77.xx for the geforce 460go).

On my main rig it works great except I can't seem to wake up one of the hard drives when coming out of sleep mode. Not sure how to fix this it is always the same drive that doesn't wake up so I have to reboot for the system to see it which makes sleep mode useless.

The OS works great on my laptop now that I got the nvidia drivers going (I had to go to 77.xx for the geforce 460go).

On my main rig it works great except I can't seem to wake up one of the hard drives when coming out of sleep mode. Not sure how to fix this it is always the same drive that doesn't wake up so I have to reboot for the system to see it which makes sleep mode useless.

Dual hard drives in the machine? Sounds like a BIOS issue.

Installed the Win 7 on my gaming rig. It's usually a battle to actually play any games of the games I currently own.

Overall however, I am really enjoying the OS so far.

Dual hard drives in the machine? Sounds like a BIOS issue.

I am pretty sure it's a Win7 or Win7 driver problem. I had no issues with Vista x64 Ultimate before with the same setup so I doubt it's bios related. It's one of the 8 HDs in the machine. It might be related to some ICHR9 chipset/driver problems that some people had with the Win7 Beta and sleep mode I read somewhere but IIRC the RC release fixed it for them.

Hmm, just got all my parts for my new build. What are your opinions on installing Windows 7 instead of Vista? I'm torn right now between installing Vista X86 or going with the 64 bit version, or is W7 worth a shot? Also, if I install the RC version, I will basically have to do a clean install of another version when it expires in March?

Regarding the question of the upgrade path from RC to RTM. Of course it is always recommended to do a clean install rather than upgrading. However, you can use this kludge fix to make the Windows 7 RTM agree to let you upgrade from RC without a complete reinstall.

However, you do open a pandora's box of unknown future situations by maybe leaving bits of the RC lying around. I did do this upgrade path for a test computer and it seemed to work fine, but I am not sure I would leave it running long term in this state. I don't like unknowns.

This has got to be the most pointless question asked on the [H] yet, but does Windows 7 RTM have a new default startup sound (as opposed to Vista's startup sound)? Yes, I already know about the new sound themes, I'm just inquiring about the default sound.

Win 7 RTM showed up on my school's MSDNAA on Friday. Got it installed fairly quickly on my laptop. It took about 20 minutes to get the first prompt from Windows 7 on my desktop. I believe it was something to do with my DVD drives as I had the exact same issue with the vista install. I installed the Intel AHCI drivers and everything is going okay. I'm having some problems with a few games I bought on steam that worked with Vista (namely GTA: Vice City, which simply won't start). Aside from that, everything seems to be working well.

Back