Happy Windows 7! How'd your install go?

100% problem free. Love everything about it. installed most of my apps and games. Love it. also installed it on my netbook, love it even more

I've been having so many problems with it, not sure why.

For some reason its' not liking my hard drives or anything in my SATA ports.

I did an upgrade to my Vista install rather than a fresh install because I felt like all-or-nothinging it but didn't want to take the time to move all the crap on my main drive to another drive.

I have to say I was VERY pleasantly surprised by the result. The process took quite a while, maybe 90 minutes for the entire install process, so that sucked. However, once it was done I only had to install one thing, ATI drivers, and I am right back to where I was with Vista. Even Fences kicked right back in immediately.

Another nice thing is that it didn't leave an old windows folder (windows.old or whatever) on the drive. In fact, the free drive space ended up being exactly the same as it was before I did the upgrade.

I will do some games testing, to make sure they work properly, and then I will be back with an edit if there are any problems.

How do you guys think Windows 7 works with older games? Like SOF 2, Heroes of Might and Magic III, Baldur's Gate, to name some.

I've tried a couple of older games like Tron 2.0 and NOLF 2 and they worked fine.

All installations went smooth with me. I updated my Main Computer Workstation, Laptop, and still getting my HTPC setup with all the software/media center configurations.

This OS is definitely faster then Build 7100 was.

I haven't upgraded my desktop (Doing that Saturday morning) but on my laptop the install was smooth except for one thing. Shittastic Nvidia drivers. You figured they would have learned after their Vista debacle.

I have an Nvidia 8400m in my laptop. So I figured I'd grab the latest WHQL Windows 7 drivers from the NV webpage. 186.03 is the latest. On Build 7000 and Build 7100 I used 185.81. 185.81 was flawless during all that time.

186.03 hung my laptop after I logged in. As soon as I removed 186.03 I could log in again. So I went back to old faithful. 185.81 is running nice and smooth once again.

But I can't speak highly enough of this OS. So great. I loved Vista but there's just something about Windows 7 that makes it better. I know that sounds weird but it's true. Can't wait to get my desktop running this OS. :)

Well I tried to install Win 7 last night and it's not working. I am trying to do the "upgrade" from Vista x64 Ultimate to Win7 x64 Ultimate. I let it go overnight and now about 7 hours later it's still stuck at the transferring files, settings and programs stage. So it looks like it's stuck so I'll have to do a full clean install after all. But I am probably going to reset the machine let it restore vista and uninstall some stuff then try it one more time. I hope there is a log file on where it was stuck so I can figure it out. Otherwise I'll trial and error it one or two more times cause I hate clean installing.

I finished downloading around 10:00 last night. I'll play with it after work, I needed my beauty sleep last night.

Not working like I would like it to... MediaBrowser is extremely sluggish and my HDHomeRun is not working. This is on two seperate htpc's. I may try to install x64 tonight, but was trying not to for the htpc's. Will now wait to make sure everything is working great before I remove Vista from my laptop or desktop.

On a new install, how much space did it take up?
Just asking so I can partition smaller for quicker and smaller ghost.

How do you guys think Windows 7 works with older games? Like SOF 2, Heroes of Might and Magic III, Baldur's Gate, to name some.

Not sure about those games, but I do know that I can run Railroad Tycoon 3 now, which Vista was entirely incapable of doing.

...Well after a successful desktop install 2 weeks ago, I finally installed Win7 on my notebook, but ran into a rather bothersome issue. I can't use my media keys for minimized programs, anyone come up with a solution. I'm using both iTunes and WMP, both don't seem to pick up the media keys.

Also does someone know of a media key program for Gateway notebooks that might work?

EDIT, fixed itself in the last half hour...

Last edited:
I had a problem with the first DVD I burned so I had to lower the speed. No problems with the install itself. It is now just a slow process to get everything back to the way I want it.

I successfully upgraded from Vista x64 Ultimate to Win7 x64 Ultimate. After uninstalling 3 things, all my Logitech QuickCam stuff and both Acronis Disk Director Suite and True Image Home 2009. The upgrade went through. Win 7 installer did not recommend uninstalling the QuickCam drivers but I did so anyway since it wanted to remove the application, and it also didn't mention Acronis but while checking the net I read some people had issues with the utilities under the beta so I removed them.

So far so good :).

BG works fine, though you may want to google BGTUTU (BG in BG2 engine).

Basically any windows-era game works though some need tweaking. Any DOS-era games requires DOSBOX (or XP mode?).

Copied the hidden AppData and ProgramData folders
Installed Windows 7
Copied over the AppData and ProgramData
Installed Certian Programs(i accidentally installed them on the C: partition on Vista :/ )
PRESTOOO
ITS LIKE I DIDN'T LEAVE ANYTHING BEHIND! coming from Vista

applications work flawlessly without so much as a reinstall (from my app partition of course)

4 sucessful installs down, 1 to go, my tx2z tablet!

I've been doing a little stress testing on the RTM and so far so good. No BSOD's yet!

Nvidia CP doesnt save any of my settings/changes
Jmicron drivers fail to install

CreativeSucks.jpg

Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Last edited:
I installed Ultimate last night on my new Thinkpad T400 and everything works great. To mention just one cool thing, the boot time improvement is amazing over Vista. For any vendor specific drivers I needed I just went to Lenovo's Windows 7 Beta Drivers page.

I'm going to install another copy of Ultimate on my main PC tonight.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64

As has been noted and will continue to be noted pretty much every single day here and at forums all across the Internet, Windows 7 isn't officially available yet, and until it is, you're not going to see production drivers from any manufacturer specifically for Windows 7 that are worth a damn.

Especially not from Creative... ;)

As has been noted and will continue to be noted pretty much every single day here and at forums all across the Internet, Windows 7 isn't officially available yet, and until it is, you're not going to see production drivers from any manufacturer specifically for Windows 7 that are worth a damn.

The nVidia 190.38 drivers on their site ARE 7 WHQL CERTIFIED! Been testing games, even TRI-SLI seems to be working with no sweat. The nVidia CP is working fine for me.

Anybody having any issues trying to enable VT once installed? Just seems to give me a stop error, didn't bothered to catch it, tried a couple repair installs, but that didn't work either. Finally just disabled it again. Ultimate x64 on a Dell m1330, CPU is a T7500. Is this something that's not supported once installed?

by far one of the fastest, easiest MS OS installs ever.

Installed again tonight dual booting with XP and I had the same problem the first time I tried Win 7. After the install finishes and it reboots it goes to a blank black desktop. I see the mouse, can move it around and everything, but it's just a blank black desktop aside from the "evaluation copy yada yada yada" in the bottom right corner. Tried Cntrl-Alt-Del, hitting the windows key, and nothing seems to function. It's really damn weird. Anyone know what's up with that?

If you're meaning you installed the actual RTM build acquired from MSDN/TechNet and it's showing the evaluation info in the bottom right hand corner, man... your machine is, to put it bluntly, FUBAR... that's Fucked Up Beyond All Repair for those not quite in the lingo-know... ;)

Not sure what to tell ya except get rid of XP and get on with it... :D

Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Try manually downloading the driver and run the installer with Vista compatibility mode.

With the 7 RC I had to install the Creative driver in Vista compatibility mode or it would throw that error. They released a driver later on that fixed the issue.

That's the Release Candidate and yes it'll have an evaluation build on the desktop.

You don't have the RTM final build that everyone has been raving about the past few days since it was released on MSDN and TechNet on Thursday... but you probably already realize that.

(at least I sure as hell hope you do...) :D

This thread was created (at least that's how I understand it) to ask people to comment on their freshly acquired final Windows 7 acquisitions from MSDN and TechNet as of Thursday's release, not to continue discussion about the Release Candidate (which I'm sure is still welcome, anyway).

I had one hell of a time with RTM and my XS71DDL, regular C-Media drivers worked flawless under RC, but not with RTM, had to remove the mixer and use only the driver to make Windows function properly...had to reinstall/reimage/retest several times until got it sorted, but its peachy now :D

Awesome. Everything installed okay except for my Matlab for school. Had to get an update from them to install it

That's the Release Candidate and yes it'll have an evaluation build on the desktop.

You don't have the RTM final build that everyone has been raving about the past few days since it was released on MSDN and TechNet on Thursday... but you probably already realize that.

(at least I sure as hell hope you do...) :D

This thread was created (at least that's how I understand it) to ask people to comment on their freshly acquired final Windows 7 acquisitions from MSDN and TechNet as of Thursday's release, not to continue discussion about the Release Candidate (which I'm sure is still welcome, anyway).

Didn't realize it was two separate things. I'll have to see about getting a copy of the MSDN/Technet version, which incidentally is the link I posted (being on Technet I mean).

I can't believe how great the Win7 OS is. I'm one of the WinXP holdouts (both WinXP x64 and WinXP 32) I went from the beta to the RC1 in both the 64 bit and 32 bit versions. (for a Q6600 w/ 8 GIGs of PC6400 RAM and a nc6000 wireless laptop w/ only 768 MB's of PC2700 RAM) :)

One of the things I especially liked was for the "golden oldie" HP nc6000 lappy the Win7 OS recognized everything "outa' the box". I had WinXP 32 on it to start and it recognized everything except the sound. I got a sound driver from HP and fixed it. I always get my updated drivers from the manufacturer, but that wasn't neccessary with, IMO, WinXP's replacement, the Win7 OS (I have 2x copies of Win7 comin' in the mail when it goes public, 1x 64 bit and 1x 32 bit) :p

Back