Happy Quakiversary!

scojer

[H]F Junkie
25 years ago yesterday, Quake was released.
Quake, one of the most formative FPS games on PC, is now 25 years old, and id's John Romero takes a look back at the shooter's development

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/80142/quake-turns-25-was-tough-game-to-make-romero-says/index.html

My first Quake experience was Quake 2 - I remember killing the Strogg and gibbing them, and that game barely ran on my 333Mhz processor, but it did somehow. I eventually got a hold of Quake and had a blast with that, but I'll always fondly remember Quake 2 the most, especially multiplayer LAN parties.

What's your first Quake gaming experience! Do you feel old yet?

I remember modding Quake to play the original Team Fortress with a clan back in the day back when I was in college, and I was a "LPB" (low-ping bastard).

I also remember seeing GL Quake for the first time and thinking to myself that there really was something to these fancy graphics cards.

I have a vague memory of some quake1 alpha/beta that had the flying monster (scrag) with a different attack. It would develop some ball of energy if front of it and then shoot it at you after a few seconds. I haven't been able to find a reference to this since. I'm starting to wonder if it's just a memory that my young mind created.

Reactions: Youn
like this
Paintball mod was my goto for so long. Only clan group I actually enjoyed playing with in a competitive way.

I was pretty darn good at DM as well even with 56k modem for so long.

My first experience with Quake 1 was *not* being able to run it well (or really at all) on my 486.

I wouldn't play it again until the Sega Saturn version (which wasn't too bad tbh), and I finally played through the campaign on PC when I got back into PC gaming at 16.

My first experience was with the very first game... before it released, even.

I first started with the late betas downloaded from a BBS (I had to go to my dad's office for internet access, so the BBS was as good as it got at home) and quickly moved to 1.0. I even ordered it directly from id Software through the mail! I was fortunate enough to have a reasonably fast system at the time (Pentium 90, I believe) and it was an absolute game-changer. Real 3D! Nine Inch Nails for the soundtrack! My online play was limited to BBSes at first (ever try to play on a dial-up modem with a virtual IPX network?), but it was still a treat.

I also remember being one of the cool kids who used VQuake, the earliest 3D-accelerated version of the game — yeah, all you GLQuake people were latecomers. You didn't get the fancy water effects, but getting to play Quake smoother at 640x480 than it was at 320x240? Bliss!

I was a huge fan of Quake 3 Arena & Sonic Mayhem's amazing soundtrack (still listen to it!). Quake 4's tank sections are awesome. Quake 1 & 2 are dark, dreary, & fun to explore.

Definitely nostalgic thinking about it.

I was a little young for Quake at launch (in like 5th grade at the time lol) but I got into it along with Quake II a few years later. It's been one of my faves since then, love the spooky atmosphere and the level design.

Celebrated yesterday by logging onto the ridiculous 100+ player server that YouTuber decino spun up for the occasion. Sadly I missed the utter mayhem of the co-op but I played a few rounds of deathmatch... and was reminded how bad I am at deathmatch

Quake 1. I was there for the Duke 3D vs Quake 1 "wars".
My first experience with FPS' in general was the original Wolfenstein 3D, right around when it was released. 3D Realms really did a good job making a parody and lampooning what id had made and done in both W3D and Doom I/II. So in 6th grade I thought that D3D was "the game".

I honestly didn't appreciate Quake I as much until a few years after its release when I got my first "real" 3d accelerator: a second hand Creative Labs Voodoo 2 8MB. Before then I was on software graphics - a Matrox Mystique 4MB. As a result, playing Quake I or later II on that card was painful. The Voodoo2 blew my mind when I got it in HS - it was a totally different gaming experience as to what I had experienced before. You'd better believe I had a lot of nights staying up playing these games over and over just to look at the graphics and enjoy the game play. Back then, that's what got me into gaming. A hobby that lasted for about a decade. I don't really game that much anymore, or certainly not at all like I did when I was younger.

Edit: spelling/grammar

Last edited:
Quake was the first game that I ever saw hardware rendered on a 3D Accelerator.
A coworker friend had a 3Dfx V1 and fired up the game using the GLQuake Glide wrapper...the rest is history.

My first Quake experience was Quake 2 - I remember killing the Strogg and gibbing them, and that game barely ran on my 333Mhz processor, but it did somehow. I eventually got a hold of Quake and had a blast with that, but I'll always fondly remember Quake 2 the most, especially multiplayer LAN parties.

Quake 3 was my first introduction to Quake anything. I MAY have played Quake 1 or 2 before, but my memory is remembering Quake 3 more vividly and clearly than any of the others.

Not sure if spending all this time keeping up on digital trends like videogames is worth it in the end. I used to play Quake Shareware on Multiplayer software. I talked to this one guy who said he was up for 4 days straight doing meth I'm sure he's not around anymore but it was interesting talking to the guy. He said that society feeds off youth or something to that extent.

Quake, UT, C&C and Doom, or the era there of, was the pinnacle of PC gaming. Yeah games today are very pretty, has ease of multiplayer without having to fight modems, but they don't have the depth or engagement like the "originals".

Maybe I'm just old and I miss the days of my youth. Get off my lawn.

Not sure if spending all this time keeping up on digital trends like videogames is worth it in the end. I used to play Quake Shareware on Multiplayer software. I talked to this one guy who said he was up for 4 days straight doing meth I'm sure he's not around anymore but it was interesting talking to the guy. He said that society feeds off youth or something to that extent.
Wut?

Quake, UT, C&C and Doom, or the era there of, was the pinnacle of PC gaming. Yeah games today are very pretty, has ease of multiplayer without having to fight modems, but they don't have the depth or engagement like the "originals".

100% agree.

A couple of months ago I bought all of 2004's PC Gamer magazines and the games that were out that year between Doom 3, Half Life 2, and others was just crazy. I mean FEAR, Far Cry, Doom 3, Half Life 2, Unreal Tournament 2004... these games are still incredible to this day and 2004 particular is the year I fell in love with PC gaming. The year I bought my first video card too. In fact Doom 3 was the first game I bought a video card for specifically to play a game... and I bought it to put it into a HP pre-built that had the latest Athlon 64 in it. That was my year of falling in love with PC gaming... what a year. It's not a coincidence that you can pop in a game like UT2K4 and it still be insanely fun to play to this day even with the bots.

Last edited:

Youngster...

I wish id would make another Quake in the style of the original. Not many games captured me like that did. I loved the Lovecraftian-inspired themes and pseudo-medieval settings. I honestly had my interest start to wane when the Strogg were introduced to the second game. Quake Wars was the last great Quake experience I had. I had never played the original mod based on RTCW, but it was still some of the most fun I ever had in a multiplayer game.
im old. 486 DX2 playing Q1 test in what was probably 15fps.
I had a 60 MHz Pentium and I remember it playing rather well in software originally. This and Doom really showcase the leap in CPU performance at the time.
My first experience was with the very first game... before it released, even.

I first started with the late betas downloaded from a BBS (I had to go to my dad's office for internet access, so the BBS was as good as it got at home) and quickly moved to 1.0. I even ordered it directly from id Software through the mail! I was fortunate enough to have a reasonably fast system at the time (Pentium 90, I believe) and it was an absolute game-changer. Real 3D! Nine Inch Nails for the soundtrack! My online play was limited to BBSes at first (ever try to play on a dial-up modem with a virtual IPX network?), but it was still a treat.

I also remember being one of the cool kids who used VQuake, the earliest 3D-accelerated version of the game — yeah, all you GLQuake people were latecomers. You didn't get the fancy water effects, but getting to play Quake smoother at 640x480 than it was at 320x240? Bliss!
This was my experience, but I never had a Rendition card. I did get GLQuake when the first beta released and it was one of those times as a kid when I couldn't stop giggling at how smooth and sharp the graphics were my first time playing it.

I bought the shareware CD at a gas station I think, was BLOWN AWAY as I heard the title screen come up and NIN pumping loud, maybe 10FPS but that was soon remedied. a week later found out the crack (maybe on astalavista?) to get the entire game and other ID games from that shareware CD. I do also have a legit full copy

I hadn't seen machinima before, but I did make a Quake C mod that let me plan camera movements, cuts, fade-in-out, etc.... and I put together a short video based on Alien 3 (that continues the story with Morse being experimented on, waking up in a deserted hospital, etc...) I dumped it on VHS, used as part of my film school application

then at film school, played the hell out of Quake 2 multiplayer with other students/faculty... really one of my fondest FPS memories, getting trained by more experienced students, annoying the hell out of the old teachers, ALMOST beating the most experienced guy after some months, then having the VP send carefully worded emails to everyone asking to please be mindful of students actually doing school work. in hindsight they were all very cool letting us play after hours, long into the night.

I had a Pentium 120 (HP desktop) at the time Quake launched. I was at an Electronics Boutique and the manager, who was a friend of mine, let me have a copy earlier than launch to try it out. I played it, and thought it was good, but Duke Nukem was better. LOL

The last time I played Quake 1 was a month ago on my retro P200MMX build. I used the original install CD that I got from EB. 😝

I had a Pentium 120 (HP desktop) at the time Quake launched. I was at an Electronics Boutique and the manager, who was a friend of mine, let me have a copy earlier than launch to try it out. I played it, and thought it was good, but Duke Nukem was better. LOL

The last time I played Quake 1 was a month ago on my retro P200MMX build. I used the original install CD that I got from EB. 😝
And when was the last time you played Duke 3D? 😇

And when was the last time you played Duke 3D? 😇

Same day I played Quake LOL. I tossed an AWE 32 Gold in that rig and it sounds great with Duke. Now Doom on the other hand, well I actually really like the PS4 port due to them using direct capture forms a Roland MT-32 for the music. Hmmm…. I think I’ll play some Mech Warrior 2 today….

Quake 2 - Voodoo 2 CTF goodness.

Definitely played Quake when it came out, but I can't recall if I had the full game or just the shareware.

Pretty revolutionary for the time, sadly the gameplay does not hold up. Even the original DOOM is still good, but something about Quake just didn't age as well.

Quake was the game which got me into the voodoo1 card - used to play three player DM at my friends house over coax... We all had voodoo1's and p90s... I liked quake but didn't get super into it like I did Quake 2 (on a Riva 128 back in 97 but was still playing when I had a Celery 450 and TNT2..) which was my life for like two years... Lithium mod and CTF... god I would play CTF from the time I got home from work until 2am m-f and probably one of the weekend days... I feel like I should feel old but I don't.. just been around for a while hah.. but I digress....

Happy Quakiversary!!

Last edited:
Good 'ol Quake 1. I didn't care for the game initially. It lacked the colorfulness from Duke 3D and even Doom. Plus, it simply didn't look all that great running in normal software mode. I never thought it sucked or anything, but I was disappointed.
Then one day I was lucky enough to see it running on a Voodoo card at my local PC shop. That was one of the biggest graphical jumps I can ever remember seeing. It was akin to Atari 2600 going to the NES kind of moment...and it was only 480p running at 25'ish FPS too. I ended up cashing in a semester's worth of paychecks on one after that.
One of the neat things about Quake is just how many crazy mods and free spinoffs came out of it. All of the zany CTF mods, Team Fortress, Rocket Arena, etc. Everything worked fine with the 3DFX mod, too.

Yeah Quake1's drab color scheme - didn't care for it.. with the voodoo card though it brightened up a lot more but was still very brown/dark green..

Quake and Quake II especially (Action! Quake II mod) are what really got me into PC gaming and online multiplayer gaming. Truly a revolutionary series.

I was definitely in the duke 3d vs quake, but man, Tribes was when I started getting into Non peer-peer stuff or strategy games heavily. Well, not counting mechwarrior 2 goodness.,

Quake was the game which got me into the voodoo1 card - used to play three player DM at my friends house over coax... We all had voodoo1's and p90s... I liked quake but didn't get super into it like I did Quake 2 (on a Riva 128 back in 97 but was still playing when I had a Celery 450 and TNT2..) which was my life for like two years... Lithium mod and CTF... god I would play CTF from the time I got home from work until 2am m-f and probably one of the weekend days... I feel like I should feel old but I don't.. just been around for a while hah.. but I digress....

Happy Quakiversary!!

The Riva 128. I had one with a P2-300. That was a funky card for it’s day. I never did get Quake running on it though. Had a V2 by then.

Back