Happy Pi Day

HardOCP News

[H] News
3.14 is Pi Day! Happy Pi Day! I tried to take the day off but for some odd reason, no one recognizes it as a real holiday yet. ;)

Pi, Greek letter, is the symbol for the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter. Pi Day is celebrated by math enthusiasts around the world on March 14th. Pi = 3.1415926535. With the use of computers, Pi has been calculated to over 1 trillion digits past the decimal. Pi is an irrational and transcendental number meaning it will continue infinitely without repeating.

You rounded off the number incorectly.
Pi = 3.14159265358979..., so you should have rounded it up to 3.1415926536

Co-workers and myself, we love eatting Pie on Pi Day, it's become a yearly tradition.

Pi is an irrational and transcendental number meaning it will continue infinitely without repeating

The way that sentence is phrased makes it sound like a number must be both irrational and transcendental to be a non-repeating decimal number. In fact, merely being irrational is sufficient for non-repeating, and transcendental means a lot more (there does not exists a polynomial with integer coefficients with Pi as a solution.) Square root of 2 is irrational, but it is a solution to x^2 - 2 = 0 and so not transcendental.

(waits for someone to call me a nerd on a computer forum.)

The way that sentence is phrased makes it sound like a number must be both irrational and transcendental to be a non-repeating decimal number. In fact, merely being irrational is sufficient for non-repeating, and transcendental means a lot more (there does not exists a polynomial with integer coefficients with Pi as a solution.) Square root of 2 is irrational, but it is a solution to x^2 - 2 = 0 and so not transcendental.

(waits for someone to call me a nerd on a computer forum.)

Nerd.

Didn't want to keep ya waiting. ;)

While not Pi Day, my science teacher used to take us out and buy everyone breakfast for Mole Day.

12:17, Restate my assumptions:
1. Mathematics is the language of nature.
2. Everything around us can be represented and understood through numbers.
3. If you graph these numbers, patterns emerge.
Therefore: There are patterns everywhere in nature.

12:18, Press Return.

Forget Pi Day, Tau Day is better.

Tau is 2pi.

Pi is 1/2tau.

None of us really care.

12:17, Restate my assumptions:
1. Mathematics is the language of nature.
2. Everything around us can be represented and understood through numbers.
3. If you graph these numbers, patterns emerge.
Therefore: There are patterns everywhere in nature.

12:18, Press Return.

Totally watching that tonight.

Its also Steak and BJ Day. Just sayin...

Isn't every day?

Tau is 2pi.

Pi is 1/2tau.

None of us really care.

You're missing some parentheses there, or at least a space. As written I've got to read it as:
Pi is .07957747154594766...

Normally I'd just let it go, but this is a Pi thread!

You're missing some parentheses there, or at least a space. As written I've got to read it as:
Pi is .07957747154594766...

Normally I'd just let it go, but this is a Pi thread!

How about this then?

π = (½) τ

pi-day-pie-550x366.jpg

Back