Happy Birthday to the Digital Camera

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Digital cameras seem like they have been around forever now, but many of us remember the ‘old’ way of taking pictures and what a monumental pain in the aperture it was. Happy 20th Mr. Digital. :cool:

hah I remember these exact cameras in the digital arts department at Washburn University circa 94 or 95. Was told they very expensive. The dept had 3 of them

And yet, the best photo I ever took was on film.
I love my DSLR but...

i remember in high school 1998-2000 we had a digital camera that wrote to floppy disks. Probably 1MP images or something retarded like that.

its a same Kodak was so overly confident on its cheap throw away and send the film off to have your photos scrutinized by "bob" whoever and maybe turned in to the popo that they did not give the digital camera a second thought on how it would wipe their whole company out.

its a same Kodak was so overly confident on its cheap throw away and send the film off to have your photos scrutinized by "bob" whoever and maybe turned in to the popo that they did not give the digital camera a second thought on how it would wipe their whole company out.

SHAME*

Does anyone find it scary how the average person can't figure out how to take a photo on a real camera? I mean, the concept of simply selecting a focus point and hitting the shutter halfway became brain surgery at some point.

Also, it's hilarious how some people's minds are blown when you tell them that your lens can't zoom.

YOU MEAN I HAVE TO TAKE A STEP BACK?...

Does anyone find it scary how the average person can't figure out how to take a photo on a real camera? I mean, the concept of simply selecting a focus point and hitting the shutter halfway became brain surgery at some point.

Also, it's hilarious how some people's minds are blown when you tell them that your lens can't zoom.

YOU MEAN I HAVE TO TAKE A STEP BACK?...

Same thing happens when I bring my 70-200m to sporting events. I usually get comments like, "Wow, you probably can take a picture of the moon with that." When I try to tell them their tiny point-and-shoots have more zoom capability than mine they just look at me weird.

My first digital camera was in the mid-late 90's and was some really godawful low-res thing (I think it maxxed at 640x480). It wasn't even a good form factor, it was a long slender rectangular device but the way it was held was top/bottom. I remember I had to hold it like holding a magnifying glass up to my eye and then try to take a steady shot (no digital display!). Ugh. I don't know if I even have any pictures I took with it, they all came out pretty bad. It didn't help I am a lefty and it was designed for a right-handed person holding it up to their right eye.

My last digital camera I got for a trip last year, and it was the first camera I got with no optical viewfinder. That took a while to get used to, I tell ya.

Same thing happens when I bring my 70-200m to sporting events. I usually get comments like, "Wow, you probably can take a picture of the moon with that." When I try to tell them their tiny point-and-shoots have more zoom capability than mine they just look at me weird.

Same people that think their cell phone takes great pictures, don't understand the difference between digital and optical zoom, and leave their flash on when they are 30 feet away from the picture they are trying to take.

I had a decent SLR back in the film days, and took some great pictures, however I'd much rather use my current travel point & shoot. Much easier to carry around as it can fit in my pocket. 16x zoom, full 1080p 60fps video, great optical image stabilization, plus great low-light settings.
Really like the 10 fps burst mode when taking action pictures. People are amazed when they see pictures I've taken at Sea World with multiple killer whales all in the air at the same time.

I've own one digital camera, was a Olympus 10x zoom integrated camera don't remember the name, since then I use dslr, canon and Nikon.. Funny that you have to teach people how to use it, even my mother witch she's in her 60+ Lolllllllllll we had film camera before

Does anyone find it scary how the average person can't figure out how to take a photo on a real camera? .

Lol, I was embarrased once, I stood in a crowd with my hightech huge DSLR with a Canon 70-200 IS 2.8L, looking like a professional photographer, then some dude sitting on the ground, with his 8-10 friends, asks me if I could take a picture of them, with HIS camera, which was some Point&Shoot tiny camera with no viewfinder, only a screen, and I take his camera and take it all the way up to my right eye, trying to use the lcd screen as a viewfinder, untill I realize that I had to hold it away from my eye.

Everyone laughed at me.

But hey, I had never tried one of those cams before, only used to expensive pro equipment. :p

Back