Happy birthday to QUAKE

zakter2003

Limp Gawd
Happy birthday to QUAKE, as id Software kicked off Operation Counterstrike on this date in 1996 with the release of the debut game in the first-person shooter series. 13 years!

I saw this statement on Bluesnews this morning and suddenly felt really old! :eek:

You felt old? Hell, I still remember being in awe when I built a K6-2 rig and watched Quake World run like butter. I stayed up all night playing 2fort. Oh those were the days :) I'm not sure if it was because I was younger that it seemed like huge technological feats, or that we just aren't making impressive technology jumps like we use to (probably the latter).

Wow...I feel old, too. I remember downloading early screenshots of Quake from bulletin boards.
I still liked the atmosphere of the first Quake more than the others. Give me a nightmare realm over a mechanoid planet any day.

yeah nothing beats the sound of that guy in lava or acid. crack open your pak files, the sounds are lburn1.wav, and lburn2.wav

If there's one game that deserves a birthday party, it's quake. Thanks for revolutionazing the industry id and happy birthday Quake!

Does anyone remember Qtest? I think that was the name of the beta Id put out. I remember dropping $200 on a Diamond Monster 3D then building my K6-3 with 3D now at like 300mhz and playing GL Quake for the first time. My mind was blown.

I remember watching quake in a store when I was a kid.

That was the first pc game I witnessed.

But yeah, Happy Birthday Quake :)

In my dreams, I can still hear the sound of bouncing pineapples from many late nights of quake death match.

I remember when I first got Quake...man that was a long time ago.

I still to this day play Quakeworld online. :D

i was also 17 when that game hit the stores. we didnt have internets at my home yet back then so i pretty much missed out on its multiplayer but it did get me started in the hardcore 3d fps's and for that i am truly thankful (and i bet my wife is too)

Jumping in the water with 15 guys in there and firing the lightning gun...

The lightning bolt death sentence..."Brother Love accepts Everyones shaft..."

Man the pineappleswere awesome get a load of them things and just don't stop until you run out ... good times!

The rocket launcher was way overpowered though lol.

Wow flash back.

I remember going to Fry's Electronics with my friend to buy this game.
He'd just bought a brand new P166 with 16mb of ram and a 2gb hard drive. :D

One of the coolest things about the game were the mod packs. I'm sure such things were around before Quake, but all of the CTF, Team Fortress, etc. mods really brought about a sea change within the gaming community. Since the internet was starting to really blossom at the same time, it was amazing to see these complete game overhauls really catching on.
Plus, who can forget seeing GLQuake for the first time. I remember getting the Orchid 3dfx card for my birthday and just being blown away by the visuals...and 28 fps :)

that was my first love...I remember getting the quake demo on floppies and couldn't wait to install it.. Then came Quake Team Fortress..back then gamespy didn't suck like it does today..anyone else here from clan BFG?

long live quake. the best then and the best now(choose your flavor...1,2,3,4,ql)

I got Quake working on XP last week and have been having a great time with it...yes, long live Quake :)

Man this was the first game that had that chaotic deathmatch feel to it with 20-30 people on a server grenades raining down all around you and rockets coming from every direction. Long Live Quake!

Oh man and I just remembered typing +mlook into the console for the first time and trying the mouse to look around. It took a few minutes to get used to controlling the game that way, but once I did it was such greatness.

If there's one game that deserves a birthday party, it's quake. Thanks for revolutionazing the industry id and happy birthday Quake!

I would say Doom more so, but that's just me.

13 years, seriously where the hell did the time go? I'll be signing on for my free pensioner bus pass before I know it!

Quake 1 was the best game i've ever played online.

Nothing beat team fortress, or some of those other modifications. I must say I wish the community was bigger, i played it last a few years ago.

What needs to happen is Quake needs to be re-released with better graphics, all the mods, and absolutely no messing with the game play.

Oh wow, Quake. Is it already so long ago? I loved that game, especially for the first time on my Voodoo card. Quake and later Unreal really made my jaw drop when running on the 3d card.

Quake also had one of the best and satisfying expansion packs for me personally, Scourge of Armagon.

I wish a new Quake game would come out one day with the newest graphics. I always liked the medieval themed world in Quake more than the techonology based levels in Quake 2, Quake 3 or Doom 3 for example. Probably why I loved the excavation levels in Doom 3 a lot more than the metal ones.

Great times. :)

I would say Doom more so, but that's just me.

While Doom was a milestone Quake was the first <edit>FPS<edit> that truely was a 3d environment where you could look up and down and go up and down.

I played the hell out of it in software mode then one day the heavens parted and the sun shined down on me and I picked up the 3dFX Voodoo...oh my god. Pure unadulterated sex gliding across the screen.

Last edited:
While Doom was a milestone Quake was the first one that truely was a 3d environment where you could look up and down and go up and down.

I played the hell out of it in software mode then one day the heavens parted and the sun shined down on me and I picked up the 3dFX Voodoo...oh my god. Pure unadulterated sex gliding across the screen.

Descent :p Anyway, yeah I felt the same way with Quake. Seeing it for the first time in software THEN seeing it for the first time with a 3DFX Voodoo. I was in awe.

Seeing glquake for the first time = my eyeballs getting fucked.

This was very true for me as well. I was looking Quake shit up and found Zanshin's dojo. Grabbed the GLQuake executable and watched it destroy my Matrox Millenium at .5 FPS. After a couple of frames I was sold. I sped to the local computer store and bought my first 3DFX card. The one hardware upgrade that was a complete revolution to my gaming experience.

Fuck, it was truly jaw-dropping. Nothing computer-related has topped it so far.

I am actually playing through Quake II the last few days. The Quake series is a good one, my favorites being II and IV (I like the offline better than the speedy online play).

I can't wait until 20, 25, maybe 30 years from now when we can look back at the 13th annv of the release of DNF...

While Doom was a milestone Quake was the first one that truely was a 3d environment where you could look up and down and go up and down.

I'm sorry but that's wrong. The correct answer was Descent.

Descent :p Anyway, yeah I felt the same way with Quake. Seeing it for the first time in software THEN seeing it for the first time with a 3DFX Voodoo. I was in awe.

Agreed.

I'm sorry but that's wrong. The correct answer was Descent.

It's splitting hairs but one could say Quake was the first FPS to have full 3D. Descent was a flight sim game right (I haven't played it) ?

This was very true for me as well. I was looking Quake shit up and found Zanshin's dojo. Grabbed the GLQuake executable and watched it destroy my Matrox Millenium at .5 FPS. After a couple of frames I was sold. I sped to the local computer store and bought my first 3DFX card. The one hardware upgrade that was a complete revolution to my gaming experience.

Fuck, it was truly jaw-dropping. Nothing computer-related has topped it so far.

I never saw Quake 1 with hardware acceleration. I got to college in '97 and the Michigan Tech computer lab had quake 2 running with OpenGL and headphones and it was mindblowingly awesome. I spent my weekends for quite a while on alternating nights of Quake 2 on the LAN and drinking beer on the offnights.

Build my first rig the next year: K6-2 350 + Vodoo3 2000 to play Quake 2 :D

I remember the first time I installed the Quake II demo, on my old ass K6-2 450 and a brand new Voodoo2 16mb... I never got SO hooked up to a game like I did with Quake II back then :p

3dFX was such a revolutionary step forward for the graphics ... nothing since has had the same dramatic effect, at least to my eyes.

I have very fond memories of firing up quake on my brand new Canopus Pure3D, graphics card, with 6MB of ram.

3dFX was such a revolutionary step forward for the graphics ... nothing since has had the same dramatic effect, at least to my eyes.

I'd actually agree. I don't think there has ever been a jump like that before or since.

Back