Happiness on a budget.

Thunder888

Limp Gawd
I just got my Pixelview GeForce FX5900XT this weekend for a bargain price. Would've liked a X800 or GF6800, but they cost a @#$%load of money :p

Anyway - I install the card, gleeming with anticipation. The driver has an auto detect OC function and I give it a bash. Stock this baby is at 390/700MHz, a castrated 5900. Well - driver auto OC detect places the card @ 500/930MHz :D . Beautiful.

I added some ramsinks from the electronic store and the memory never goes above mild warmish to the touch - lovely.

The card performs wonderful, keeping in mind I upgraded from an MX440. Hell, it cost me less than the MX440 did just over a year ago. :D

Bringing me to my point - if you're on a tight budget, the 5900XT is just the thing. Anybody else just as happy?

I used one that BFG sent me as a warranty replacement for a Ti 4200. It was a really great card for it's price, but I only used it for a week or so since my 6800 Ultra showed up.

My 5900XT is on Ebay right now really cheap!

B

Rocksolid stability. To be honest, I was a bit surprised as well. This is with stock HSF (excapt the ramsinks, of course). I didn't even tweak any settings - I just auto detected the OC. :D

Seeing that it is still a brand new toy, I'm not going to bugger around with it too much. I'll wait till the novelty has worn off ;) . I'm playing Prince of Persia - the sands of time at the moment, and it looks absolutely breathtaking!

My previous card was a Leadtek and it OC'ed pretty well, but I'm very impressed with the Pixelview (my first). I have noticed that only the driver that shipped with the card (56.64) OC this high without problems. I've tried four other Forceware drivers and the OC was not that high (Autodetect). I'm speculating that it has something to do with the driver throttling of the FX5900 chip. I found this really informative article here: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/faq.html which tells you all about the FX5900XT. It's a great read if you're interested in this card.

I'll buy Farcry this weekend and give it a bash. The only problem now is, what other games to get? Isn't it always the case - you just get up to speed and now there are no cool games to play. :rolleyes:

Back