Hanns-G HH-281HPB

Just put in the order for one today from newegg. It was a bit more costly then the Hanns·G HG-281DPB in both price and shipping but the 1:1 mapping and extra HMDI sold me. I'm upgrading from a Hanns·G HG-216D 21.5" so it will be interesting to see the size difference. :D

The older one has 1:1 mapping too. I bought one from newegg.ca when it was on sale and am happy with it. Only thing that bugs me, once again, is light bleed on the edges but even my Samsung 226bw has that. It's more noticeable on such a large screen though. Why can't these companies do something about light bleeding on the edges? Surely a better seal can fix that issue. I read of one person who took their LCD apart and made a better seal with electrical tape to fix his.

The older one has 1:1 mapping too. I bought one from newegg.ca when it was on sale and am happy with it. Only thing that bugs me, once again, is light bleed on the edges but even my Samsung 226bw has that. It's more noticeable on such a large screen though. Why can't these companies do something about light bleeding on the edges? Surely a better seal can fix that issue. I read of one person who took their LCD apart and made a better seal with electrical tape to fix his.
I'm not so sure it's the actual seal. People on the AVS forums take their LCD's apart and slightly loosen certain fastening screws, claiming that them clamping down to tight is what causes the effect. I'm inclined to believe it because i did the opposite once, i put a monitor back together, tightened certain screws pretty tight, and ended up with crazy backlight bleed. It was a cheap old monitor so i didn't bother with trying to take it apart again, i should have though, because it would have been interesting to know for sure.

I got lucky with my I-inc 28", very little backlight bleed, just three faint narrow strips of bleed across the top and left + right sides, i do have a stuck blue pixel but it's tucked away in the top left corner.

Did you try massaging it? I had a stuck (red) pixel on my Ben Q. Gently pushing some pressure on the area couple of inches around the suck pixel made it work again. Be careful though.

Just a thought.

Did you try massaging it? I had a stuck (red) pixel on my Ben Q. Gently pushing some pressure on the area couple of inches around the suck pixel made it work again. Be careful though.

Just a thought.
Barely, didn't rub it as much as i have with other monitors in the past. I've barely ran any pixel exerciser programs either, not more than 15 minutes or so, i got it to where it "twinkles" on and off.

Like i said, it's near the top left corner so i hardly ever notice it, but i may give it a good workout soon just for the hell of it.

So there's no stretching to fit 1080 into 1200 pixels? Reason I'm asking is some users have been complaining connecting their PS3 via HDMI to the HH-281HPB will stretch the image, rather than having 1:1 pixel mapping.

Not sure but I am going to Costco today at lunch to see if they have one up on display. Seriously considering at just getting two of them for my two machines and mounting them on the wall.

So this screen has a glossy finish instead of a matte finish?
all of the 28" variants have a matte finish.

Not sure but I am going to Costco today at lunch to see if they have one up on display. Seriously considering at just getting two of them for my two machines and mounting them on the wall.
If you're going to mount it on a wall, make sure you use a mount that allows tilt + swivel since the up/down viewing angles are fairly limited, just the nature of TN panels i guess. It's pretty easy to get it "just right" when it's on a desk imho.

Buying it from Costco is probably a good idea though since they offer 90 day hassle free returns.

Yeah, tilt is definitely the way to go. And Costco's return policy rocks even if it cost me $30 more to buy it there. def worth it!

What have been the rough settings to get this thing looking good?

I have only seen brightness at 50. What about contrast, colors, etc?

I should be getting mine in the next few days.

Well they didn't have any at my local Costco. I did however order two of them tonight from Costco.com. I figure if it doesn't work out I can always take them back.

I am planning mount them on the wall and mount my TV above them. I will post more about them once they are in. Especially about the transition from a BenQ G2400W to two of these puppies.

So there's no stretching to fit 1080 into 1200 pixels? Reason I'm asking is some users have been complaining connecting their PS3 via HDMI to the HH-281HPB will stretch the image, rather than having 1:1 pixel mapping.

Nope, no stretching. There is an option in the monitor OSD that says fit or full. Fit will make it use 1:1 mapping. The Hanns-G even has a sticker on the front bezel that says Full HD 1080P compatibility.

My Hanns-G has no stuck or dead pixels either - bonus.

What have been the rough settings to get this thing looking good?

I have only seen brightness at 50. What about contrast, colors, etc?

I should be getting mine in the next few days.

The colours on mine were good out of the box and all I set was brightness at 14, contrast at 40 and adjusted gamma with the ATI CCC. I don't like bright whites as it does a number on my eyes so you may find my settings not to your liking.

Thanks for the settings bud. I am hoping mine ship today so I can have them prior to xmass. I will post an in depth review/opinions of the monitors once I get them.

Thanks for the settings bud. I am hoping mine ship today so I can have them prior to xmass. I will post an in depth review/opinions of the monitors once I get them.

Mine should be on the way. I will also post my impression (from a gamer/net/movies guy).

Actually, I just checked my ATI CCC settings and didn't adjust gamma at all. It's all at default. It was on another computer I adjusted gamma that is connected to a CRT and confused which one I had done that on. I hgave 4 computers here so it does a get a bit much maintaining them all sometimes. Only thing I can say about my Hanns-G setting is that you might find brightness at 14 a bit too low but I like dark blacks and is why I use that setting. I do use a grayscale with lots of steps to set it though so do know what I am doing. I see some grayscale sites have only 4 steps which is useless. I use the below site and it works well for me.

http://www.photofriday.com/calibrate.php

Using this grayscale and with my settings I can see all the steps but the two darkest are very close to each other and is hard to see the dif but I can see it. One thing about monitor calibration, the ambient lighting in your room has an effect on what you see on the screen so my settings might not be good for you at all because I keep my computer area quite dark so colors and the greyscale punch out more than in a brighter room. Just use the greyscale above and set contrast to the far white step and brightness to the low black steps and then you should have no problem seeing all the steps and when you can then the monitor is set up pretty good. White should be white but not so white it burns your eye balls out as that just causes fatigue and black should be very black but you want to be able to see the slight dif in the first step to the right. LCD is poor with blacks though and on some it is virtually impossible to get the last two dark steps to show a dif. On a CRT that is never an issue.

Last edited:
So guys how is the color quality and the quality of response (input lag,ghosting...) on this monitor?

Thanks!!!

Puter.jpg

So guys how is the color quality and the quality of response (input lag,ghosting...) on this monitor?

Thanks!!!

Color quality is good and I have noticed no lag or ghosting yet but I haven't played many games on it yet either. Considering that I was coming from the Samsung 226bw to this I should notice any of those issues because the 226bw is a 2ms LCD and was designed for gaming and is known to have very low lag. The Hanns-G is designed for gamers too.

Thanks!!!
It scores well on most points for a jumbo TN monitor, the biggest thing to watch out for is excessive backlight bleed. If you get one with too much backlight bleed then def return/exchange it, some backlight bleed will always be present though.

And most of all, try to buy it from a place that offers hassle free exchanges (costco or tiger direct). If you purchase it from tiger direct, be sure to take advantage of the current 12.8% Bing cashback offer.

Tigerdirect Bing cashback instructions:
Go to Bing.com and search for "TigerDirect" and click the 12.8% Tiger banner ad. Then shop for the monitor using that same page

Tiger carries a few revisions of the 28" Hanns-G and I-inc.

Last edited:
I'm in Canada and it would be too costly for me to return to Newegg due to backlight bleed, which it does have some of but not an amount that I can't live with. Even my 226bw had that. Don't think I have ever seen an LCD yet with no backlight bleed.

I'm in Canada and it would be too costly for me to return to Newegg due to backlight bleed, which it does have some of but not an amount that I can't live with. Even my 226bw had that. Don't think I have ever seen an LCD yet with no backlight bleed.
I meant to say portray it as excessive light bleed, instead i used the term "too much lightbleed" :eek:, corrected my post btw to prevent confusion.

You are right, there'll always be some backlight bleed.

Looks like you and i both got better units :)

Last edited:
I'm not exactly happy with the backlight bleed on mine but living with it is preferable to paying to ship it back to newegg. I was at Staples two days ago and was impressed by an HP LCD with one of those glass screen layers. Those have nicer blacks (probably due to an optic coating in the glass) and noticed no backlight bleed but it was in a brighter environment than I am used to so it wouldn't be as noticeable. Still, it had impressive image quality from what I could see and wouldn't mind owning that one if I didn't already buy the Hanns-G. It was 24" and not 27.5" though.

I'm not so sure it's the actual seal. People on the AVS forums take their LCD's apart and slightly loosen certain fastening screws, claiming that them clamping down to tight is what causes the effect.

Hey, they are right. On a dark screen where the bleed is easy to see I pinched the back and front of my monitor together real hard just with my fingers and it made the bleed worse. Time to pull out the screw driver and do some adjusting. Thanks for cluing me into what this issue is caused by.

Hey, they are right. On a dark screen where the bleed is easy to see I pinched the back and front of my monitor together real hard just with my fingers and it made the bleed worse. Time to pull out the screw driver and do some adjusting. Thanks for cluing me into what this issue is caused by.

No problem,

Any chance you can take pictures as you go along? If it works then i'm sure plenty of owners would love to see how you did it, and i doubt you'd want to open it a second time just to take some pictures.

Just an idea anyways, but I am curious to hear how it turns out.

Good luck.

OK, but first I need to go do some reading up at that AVS forum to make sure I do it right the first time.

While checking out the specs for the 281hpb and the 281dpb on the Hanns-G site, I noticed that the physical dimensions of the unit are different:

281dpb: 26.1 x 18.9 x 8.2; 23.9 lbs
281hpb: 25.7 x 20.7 x 10.2; 16.3 lbs

Are the dimensions different due to the casing? What accounts for the 7.6 lb difference?

Can anyone post a picture of the new revision? All of the pictures look like the old version.

I had a 22" Hanns G monitor... it had THE WORST backlight bleed I've ever seen. Seems reviewers are complaining about this one too... I'd have serious reservations about this monitor.

My model number says HG281D on the front bezel and has no 'pb' in it.

Dell have had issues with excessive bleed in the past too and people still bought those so it's not like Hanns-G is the only one with the issue and going by what is posted here in this thread it looks like bleed is caused when the factory workers screw the panel on too tight and not because it is a bad panel. It is not even noticeable in most situations, unless you set your Windows themes to pitch black. Only time it bothers me a bit is in games that are in very dark areas.

Can anyone post a picture of the new revision? All of the pictures look like the old version.
I thought the older ones had rectangular bases + thicker bezels, and the newest ones usually have oval bases and thinner bezels?

Pretty sure Tiger direct and newegg posted the correct pictures (?)

Here are just four 28" variants or rebrands i found, i know "hannspree" has one or two more:

Hanns-G HH-281HPB http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5554767

I-Inc iF-281DPB http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3326540

I-Inc iH-282HPB http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4938558

Hanns·G HG-281DPB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254026

I thought the older ones had rectangular bases + thicker bezels, and the newest ones usually have oval bases and thinner bezels?

Pretty sure Tiger direct and newegg posted the correct pictures (?)

Here are just four 28" variants or rebrands i found, i know "hannspree" has one or two more:

Hanns-G HH-281HPB http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5554767

I-Inc iF-281DPB http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3326540

I-Inc iH-282HPB http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4938558

Hanns·G HG-281DPB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254026

Thanks for the links, but I had seen those. I wanted to see how it looked on someone's desk if they had the new revision.

Thanks for the links, but I had seen those. I wanted to see how it looked on someone's desk if they had the new revision.

I just ordered one from costco. I'll post a pic when it arrives on Tuesday.

Ok, so my two monitors came in on 12/24 and I had some time to mess with them over the holiday weekend. I ordered two of the HH-281HPB models. They have an oval base & piano black bezel (spl).

***Disclaimer Warning - I am NOT an objective professional reviewer of LCD monitors and other technology items. My review is subjective and purely based on my perceptions and not on any other scientific methods.***

First Impressions:
- The monitors are quite large. The pictures do not do them justice as they are significantly bigger than my 24 inch Ben Q. The monitors, two side by side, span almost the length of my desk (about 70 inches).

- No dead/stuck pixels thus far on either monitor.

- It took a while to get used to the placement of the screens due to size. I had to adjust where I sit and how high my chair is positioned to maintain a comfortable sitting position.

- I dislike the piano black finish as it is impossible to maintain smudge free.

- The monitor tends to wobble (spl) just a tiny amount. I assume this is due to the where the stand connects to the monitor (bottom vs middle back). Honestly, I would not have noticed it if I didn't have the two of them almost touching and making a minor noise as they make contact. A couple of pieces of scotch tape solved the problem and they wobble together now! (Not a major issue since they are going to get mounted on the wall... eventually)

- The first thing I noticed (noted by others) how bright the monitor is on the out of the box setting. (I think I got a tan during the first 10 minutes of using it) It almost felt like you needed one of those goggles from the tanning salon to look directly at it. After some fidgeting, I settled on the 10 (out of 100) setting for brightness on the monitor and around 66 for contrast. I also played with my gamma setting on the two computers. The interesting thing was that, I have two machines running nvidia cards (8800GTS & 9800GTX) and that picture brightness looked quite different on the same card/monitor settings. The picture on the monitor that was being fed from the 9800 was significantly darker. So I had to play with the card settings to get a "personally acceptable" equal picture. Granted there are a ton of other factors in there (diff OS, cables, gfx cards, drivers...).

- The monitor suffers from button placement. They are located on the bottom side of the monitor and are quite difficult to get used to.

- The colors appear on par with what my Ben Q put out. Although they don't appear as "vibrant" as my 22 Viewsonic. I am however realistic with my expectations for a TN panel and this is acceptable for the price/size/other aspects. It's a trade off that I am willing to live with it.

- Ghosting. I ran a couple of hours of MW2 on the monitor. I didn't notice any significant ghosting. I will say however that I tend to sit back now a bit further away from the screen than when I used to play on my 24inch. Just so I can capture the whole screen without having to move my eyes/head (however sniping enemies is easier due to same resolution/larger screen size combination).

- Viewing angle is ok, nothing to write about. I have the two monitors in a V setup and I am not bothered by changes in color due to change in viewing angle.

- Backlight bleed. Honestly, I didn't test for it or didn't go looking for it. I might check it out when I get home.

- Last thing to mention is that I tried connecting one of the monitors via VGA cable (could not locate my HDMI cable) and the picture would flicker a bit. I ended up finding a HDMI - HDMI cable and the picture is fine now. Not sure if that is due to the refresh rate or poor cable. It is a bit annoying how you only get DVI to HDMI cable in the box but for 300 a pop I can't complain.

Conclusion:
Pretty happy with the purchase. So far so good. Not sure if I would have purchased this thing from Newegg or some other non B&M retailer. I hope this helps guys. Again this is my subjective review and please feel free to agree/disagree.

Last edited:
I'm planning to buy the I-Inc iH-282HPB 28" model in a week or two. Will post my comments when I try it out. I'm very anxious to try this one out and replace my very old but reliable 21 inch NEC MultiSync 6FG tube :p

I had a 22" Hanns G monitor... it had THE WORST backlight bleed I've ever seen. Seems reviewers are complaining about this one too... I'd have serious reservations about this monitor.

Same, mine was pretty awful.

Same, mine was pretty awful.
Different model, different panel, different electronics inside thankfully than the monitor being discussed.

maybe it's just me, but If i had a bad 22" samsung, i would NOT scratch the 26" samsungs off my list come upgrade time.

I can understand a person's reservations but each model deserves it's own consideration and research imho.

Yep the backlight bleed is def there. I've seen worse. I guess since I ordered from Costco I have 90 days to decide if I still want them. TBH until I went looking for it I didn't notice. Just my 2 cents.

I just ordered one from costco. I'll post a pic when it arrives on Tuesday.

The thing is friggin HUGE.

The stand is a little wobbly. If my cat wanted to, she could probably knock the monitor over. This will NEED a wall mount.

Here it is on my desk (fresh out of the box, I haven't even removed the protective film) compared to my puny 19".

IMG_2739.jpg

Back