Hanns-G HH-281HPB

This ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254043 ) just appeared on newegg (and other places). This is also right after the HG-281DPB ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254026 ) went on sale over the weekend for 300$ w/free shipping. The sale was probably to try and clear out inventory of the older version of the monitor.

I was wondering if anyone has or is getting the newer version or has any opinions.

I bought the older version over the weekend on sale and now I'm wondering if I shouldve got the newer one, especially since its a TN panel I am worried about the contrast ratio (and the new one apparently has dynamic contrast) for when I watch movies etc. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Seems to me on first glance that they've made the design look glossier to appeal to more people, I suppose.

At least they didn't shrink the resolution to 16:9 1080p, which seems to be the norm nowadays. :rolleyes:

Does anyone else have this? I'm considering buying. Price is too good to pass up.

W00T was hoping for a new release of this! can anyone confirm if it has 1:1 scaling?

thank you

HannsG emailed me back saying it has 1:1 mapping over HDMI gonna order this

HannsG emailed me back saying it has 1:1 mapping over HDMI gonna order this

Just put in the order for one today from newegg. It was a bit more costly then the Hanns·G HG-281DPB in both price and shipping but the 1:1 mapping and extra HMDI sold me. I'm upgrading from a Hanns·G HG-216D 21.5" so it will be interesting to see the size difference. :D

Just put in the order for one today from newegg. It was a bit more costly then the Hanns·G HG-281DPB in both price and shipping but the 1:1 mapping and extra HMDI sold me. I'm upgrading from a Hanns·G HG-216D 21.5" so it will be interesting to see the size difference. :D

Hanns·G HG-281DPB just arrived today from Newegg and I gotta say HOLY SHIT!. I was not expecting the size difference to be so massive. :D

The viewing angle is pretty good when looking at it straight on but turns a bit yellowish at side angles (almost like a coating on the screen of some sort is the culprit). So far I've noticed ZERO stuck/dead pixels which is always a huge plus (and this being my 3rd Hanns G monitor I think Hanns G has found a long term customer). Had to lower the brightness by 50% using the controls on the monitor because it was killing my eyes. And of course PC gaming at 1920x1200 is very nice plus the 360 looks great.

Really for less then $400 shipped this bad boy was worth it for my gaming needs.

Is there a big difference between rev 1 and rev 2 in term of image quality? I don't really care about 1:1 scaling

Cause I prefer the stand of rev 1

Since you have bought the product, may I ask the actual screen size of the monitor? Not the diagonal length, Rather, I'd like to know the height.

The reason for this is that I still have a 20.1 inch monitor (BenQ) that I'd like to use along side with this Hanns monitor. I will set this BenQ as portrait along side this big monitor. I"d like to know if they would have the same height or will my monitor be higher if in portrait mode.

thanks

Since you have bought the product, may I ask the actual screen size of the monitor? Not the diagonal length, Rather, I'd like to know the height.

The reason for this is that I still have a 20.1 inch monitor (BenQ) that I'd like to use along side with this Hanns monitor. I will set this BenQ as portrait along side this big monitor. I"d like to know if they would have the same height or will my monitor be higher if in portrait mode.

thanks
This may help: http://www.tvcalculator.com/

Remember to plug in "27.5" diagonal" "16:10" and "1920x1200" to get a more accurate number.

I scored a killer deal on the I-inc 281DPB version of this monitor, can't wait to get it. I hear the powersupply runs noticeably warmer on this model, so i already have a silent / active cooling solution for it during extended viewing sessions (filtered 5v usb fan in the back).

Not taking any chances ;)

Thanks for the link to the calculator. It doesn't really give me the exact measurement of my monitor. The height was a little bit off. However, given with your link, I was able to google it quickly. You solved my dilemma.

Monitor Calculator Unlimited

With a price like that for a 28" monitor, it's a great deal imo. That's why I got my eyes on that monitor. Was it really that hot behind the monitor? Also, have you tried to use it on other components that are hdcp compliant (PS3, Xbox, Blue ray players etc)? How was your experience?

Was it really that hot behind the monitor? Also, have you tried to use it on other components that are hdcp compliant (PS3, Xbox, Blue ray players etc)? How was your experience?
Haven't received it yet, but from what i've read the I-Inc may have a warmer, less efficient powersupply onboard (cheaper?), of course i found this out after i'd already purchased it.

I'll give you an honest PC user assesment in a day or two if you want, I'll also try out a few blu-ray rips 720p, 1080p, viewing angles, color, etc.

Tiger has this model cheap right now, around $264 shipped including 6.5% bing cashback. I'd doublecheck but I hear they have a good monitor return policy to boot.

Last edited:
Sure, I'm interested in your personal review of the product. Btw that's a good deal that you link there. Hopefully the deal will still be there until I have extra money to buy the monitor.

Sure, I'm interested in your personal review of the product. Btw that's a good deal that you link there. Hopefully the deal will still be there until I have extra money to buy the monitor.
Been on my new I-inc monitor for about two hours now, and so far i'm impressed. I purposely wasn't expecting the best picture quality so you can say i'm pleasantly surprised. It's big, sharp, clear, decent black levels, very uniform backlighting (yes !), one stuck blue pixel near the top left corner. Vertical viewing angles are not an issue if your eyes are on level with the top of the screen, your head doesn't have to be locked into place either. Horizontal viewing angles are even more forgiving, and there's a swivel base to assist with that if necessary.

It does seem a little warm up at the top vents, doesn't seem too bad though. It probably wasn't necessary but my rigged USB fan blowing from underneath makes a noticeable difference, i'll probably only use it for extended sessions.

Haven't tested any 1080P content yet, but high bit rate 720P film content looks nice so far from 3 1/2 to 4ft away. Using media player classic home cinema the video's are capable of 1:1, and when full-screened it doesn't have that stretched distorted look.

Going to exercise that stuck blue pixel later tonight just for shits and giggles, doesn't really bother me otherwise.

thanks

Actually height of the monitor is 17.5 inches.

Heavily considering one of these as an upgrade to my current Hanns-G 19" that I have had for 3 years now with no problems/issues.

I'd be very curious to hear any more input on it and some opinions that current owners have on it.

With a 19" Hanns G next to it. A 20" should work well.

Overall, I love this monitor. Super big, super cheap. No dead pixels, ghosting, input lag. It's a TN panel, so if you need perfect colors, stay away, but for a TN panel, it has great colors and better than average viewing angle. Better blacks and less backlight bleed than my 19" monitor as well.

That picture is totally sealing the deal for me!! That's an absolute monstrous monitor!

I'm not sure exactly what a "TN panel" is, but i use my computer mostly for gaming and some web browsing.. nothing as far as graphics production or anything that requires 100% accurate colors. Judging from what I use my monitor for and what I have been using for a year... I don't think im going to notice any differences between this one and a monitor that costs twice as much.

That picture is totally sealing the deal for me!! That's an absolute monstrous monitor!

I'm not sure exactly what a "TN panel" is, but i use my computer mostly for gaming and some web browsing.. nothing as far as graphics production or anything that requires 100% accurate colors. Judging from what I use my monitor for and what I have been using for a year... I don't think im going to notice any differences between this one and a monitor that costs twice as much.

TN stands for "twisted nematic" and it is a type of panel. Generally speaking, they are cheap and fast, but lack the color quality of the other types. They tend to have some color shifting, especially blacks, from the top to the bottom of the screen. Also, they do not have the best viewing angles.

That being said, this is a really nice monitor for a TN panel. It is not something I'd launch a print company with, but for gaming and web browsing, you will be more than happy with its performance. The color shift on mine is not bad at all. The blacks stay nice throughout. I can tell a difference if I set my macbook pro up next to it, but it doesn't bother me at all.

I always tell people: if you expect this to be as nice as a top of the line dell or apple cinema display, you will be disappointed. If you just want a nice looking gaming monitor at a cheap price, you will be blown away.

WARNING: It is huge. Prepare to ask for permission or forgiveness from significant others.

Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like i'll be thoroughly impressed then.

I realized there is a more expensive variant of the same monitor, but i cant seem to find any differences outside of a wider viewing angle and a different stand. Anyone know the exact difference? There must be something that justifies the extra $50

281HPB
281DPB

I wonder if they did some trivial change just so it can't be compared to costco.

I realized there is a more expensive variant of the same monitor, but i cant seem to find any differences outside of a wider viewing angle and a different stand. Anyone know the exact difference? There must be something that justifies the extra $50

281HPB
281DPB
The newer, more expensive HPB is supposedly capable of 1:1 pixel mapping, which can come in real handy when you want to run something below 1920x1200 resolution and avoid that slightly stretched look (you would have the black bars instead). Not having 1:1 isn't a deal breaker for everyone though, some people are the opposite and can't stand having black bars and would rather have things slightly stretched to fill the screen, which i think the HPB can be set to stretch mode anyways so...

Besides 1:1 pixel mapping i'd be curious about how the image quality compares on the two panels. It would not be impossible for the older monitor to actually "look better". You may want to look up reviews on it to see if anyone has owned both, and see what they have to say.

I recently purchased the I-inc rebrand of the 281DPB monitor and haven't found the lack of 1:1 too limiting for my uses.

I'm not getting it. My HannsG monitor does 1:1 pixel mapping, its the older model. When do you not have 1:1 pixel mapping?

I'm not getting it. My HannsG monitor does 1:1 pixel mapping, its the older model. When do you not have 1:1 pixel mapping?
Are you using yours strictly with a PC?

Someone correct me if i'm wrong but it looks like we can force 1:1 on the PC thru the video control panel. Pretty sure blu-ray players and gaming consoles would stretch a little bit vertically, there may be some variation between the analog and digital ports though.

Mine is strictly for PC use which is probably why i (or we?) haven't noticed it yet.

Edit: more 1:1 info and linkage in this thread: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1289361

Just tested out an old game @ 1280x1024 and it mapped perfectly (5:4 ratio), black borders top and bottom of course, everything was razor sharp including fonts.

hmmm, confusing, and plenty of conflicting info has been posted...

Last edited:
I have the I-INC version of this monitor, and I love it. The colors are terrific, almost no backlight bleeding, and I have had it for over a year with no issues.

Mine is on it's way as I type. I'm pretty excited because I remember what a huge upgrade it was going from a 17" CRT to a 19" widescreen lcd. 19" to 28" should be phenomenal! I just hope my system doesnt fall to it's knees trying to game at 1920x1200.

So how do you guys who own this monitor like it so far? I been looking at it for a bit now and it looks pretty good for the price.

So how do you guys who own this monitor like it so far? I been looking at it for a bit now and it looks pretty good for the price.

I love mine. Had it for four months or so. For a TN panel, it's outstanding.

Typing on mine as I speak. Im at a loss for words! It absolutely blows the 19" widescreen i've had away.

Not trying to jump on the bandwagon, but if you have the cash and your looking at monitors... buy it. You won't regret it a bit.

281HPB
281DPB

As mentioned above, the older one (DPB) lacks scaling so it does not support video that is unacceptable. Distorted video: a scene from a blu-ray movie.

The second one has 2 HDMIs in specs. Also we can expect that 1:1 problem has been fixed.

Can anybody confirm that the Hanns-G HH-281HPB (or the I-Inc iH-282HPB re-brand) monitor can do 1:1 proper pixel mapping? It seems there are a lot of people reporting that their xbox 360 or ps3 will scale (stretching to fit vertically from 1920x1080 to 1920x1200) when hooked up via HDMI to the monitor. I am considering buy the monitor but only if 1:1 works properly, i.e. leaving black bars on top and bottom when running 16:9 content.

People happy with this monitor for gaming (FPS/MMOs)? Debating just biting the bullet and getting two of them.

Back