Hangs durning booting w/ additional serial port card

videobruce

Limp Gawd
I wasn't sure where to put this.

The MB (Foxconn N570SM2AA0) already has a serial port built in. I was having issues with the XP driver (nothing else available), so I purchased a PCIe serial port card and installed it. I did disable the on board port first.

I have two bootable drives and this happens with the orginal drive and the 2nd drive that I reloaded the O/S after I added the card. The O/S hangs 45 seconds, then continues to boot. I'm sure it's this serial card. Again this is with or w/o the driver installed running XP Pro w/sp2

The other possible related issue is com ports 1 & 2 are not available with the on board port disabled. Where in the registry can I regain these port numbers?

Hope this made sense.

Ok, I uninstalled the drivers, removed the card then rebooted. No change.
I disabled the 2nd SATA channels and the ethernet and firewire ports and still no change.

It still hangs on the "Windows is starting up" screen for 45 seconds.

Any ideas

Do this:

1)Press [Windows][Break] to open the System Properties dialog box.

2)On the Advanced tab, click the Settings button in the Startup And Recovery section.

3)In the Startup And Recovery dialog box, select the Edit button in the System Startup section.

4)The Boot.ini file will open in Notepad; locate the line that ends with the /fastdetect switch.

5)Position your cursor right after the parameter, press the spacebar, and add the /SOS switch.

6)Save the Boot.ini file, and close Notepad.

7)Click Cancel to close both the Startup And Recovery dialog box and the System Properties dialog box.

8)Restart the system.

When the system restarts, the splash screen will no longer appear. You can observe some of the operations that Windows XP performs during the startup stage.

To revive the splash screen, simply repeat the above steps to edit the Boot.ini file and remove the /SOS switch.

Or just go to 'C' drive and right clck on the 'boot.ini' file. ;)

Anyway, here is the command line as it stands now;
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /TUTag=R3ABV5 /Kernel=TUKernel.exe
The "TU" is TuneUp Utilities. I would add that after the .exe?

I don't know.

I had tons of problems back in the day when I fiddled with Tune Up Utilities and it's kernal. I think the TU Kernal is part of a feature for modifying the boot screen.

I added the /sos, but all that does is subsistute one splash screen for another. It showed my four drive letters being checked by chk disk. That was about all that I could see.

The hanging is well after that period, after the video drivers load durning the Windows is starting up screen.

You could try to make a additional boot option without the Tune Up stuff:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /SOS

Right, but the SOS switch turns off the graphical XP Boot screen and displays the steps during the boot process (just like during safe-mode) and just maybe you will be lucky and be able to determine which driver or which file the system is pausing on and with a little additional research you might be able to find a solution.

It's didn't scroll through all the drivers loading during XP booting?

Hmm, something must have changed with one of the service packs then.

/sos
The /sos switch displays the device driver names while they are being loaded. By default, the Windows Loader screen only echoes progress dots. Use this switch with the /basevideo switch to determine the driver that is triggering a failure.

Back