Hanging Z-680 speakers on stone wall.. hELP!

Xandas

n00b
Is there any good and safe way to Mount Z-680 speakers on stone wall?! HELP I WOULD <3 You if you helped! (OFF TO COLLEGE but new dorm is stone ..ugh)

First, do the admins mind holes in their nice stone walls? If so, find some nice floor stands (aka cinder blocks :p ). If not, standard mounting hardware with drywall anchors put in the holes before screwing in should do it. The drywall anchor will likely come with a cement drill bit; however, the drill is a different matter. A good hammer drill is a) expensive and b) overkill. See if you can borrow one.

Wow, I just looked at what the Z-680 looks like, and you might not be able to. If you can't drill into the walls (which I bet you won't be able to), then your out of luck. I don't think double sided sticky tape will hold the weight of the speakers that far away from the wall (torque).

Are little speaker stands an option? That might be your best bet.
wall mounts
speaker stands

~Hope this helps, and good luck.

or get a hammer drill, that'll certainly put some holes into that stone wall of yours

velusip said:
High quality duct tape.

"Duct tape is like the force...There's the light side, the dark side, and it binds the universe together." Never underestimate duct tape. It works wonders.

Being a dorm room, I doubt they'll actually allow you to drill holes in their dorm walls (mine were brick). If you really wanted to look into it, you could consider the "fines" they'd charge and see if was worth it, but I think you'd be better off spending on money on stands that you can take with you when you leave.

How heavy are the satellites? You may be able to get away with using some doublesided-mounting tape, pretty strong stuff (1 sq. inch is supposed to hold 4lbs) - I used that for my cork and dry erase boards and they never fell though kinda a pain to take off. Since your speakers aren't flush though, you might need to improvise. Such as mouting your speakers into a flat piece of wood, and then using the mouting tape to stick the wood (with the speaker) to the wall. Just an idea.

1) get a drill.
2) get a carbide bit
3) drill the holes in the mortar,not the brick. The hole should be long enough to place a 21/2 or 3 inch bolt.(length not girth)
4) gently tap in the bolt,coated with Gorilla glue.
5) hang those babies.

At the end of the year, remove step 4. Fill the holes with toothpaste, white Colgate works best, allow to dry. Color the toothpaste to match the mortar...pencil works.
I was in college a long time ago....we hung bookshelf speakers that way. Pick a football weekend to drill the holes.(lots of cover noise) :D

I cannot drill in the wall or its BIG time fines.... They dont take kindly to it .. at all....... I'm starting to think it isnt going to happen maybe... I just wish i could mount 2 of them....
I could place 2 them on bookshelves....... UGH.. there has to be a good way.... Duct tape is looking good

A nice thin 5mm hole wont even be noticable. Youll be fine. :D

magoo said:
A nice thin 5mm hole wont even be noticable. Youll be fine. :D

yeh if you want to be sure, when you leave, just fill it up with filler and paint it grey/black or whatever the colour your stone wall is

stands really are the best solution here... cheap ones that will last a school year are available...

Back