Handwriting notes on a Touchpad

visionviper

[H]ard|Gawd
I want to use my Touchpad to take hand written notes. Can this even be done well on the it? What software is recommended? What should I use to provide the pen input?

Hp touchpad?

Yes. So far the only thing I have found is an as yet unreleased program called NuttyPad. The guy seemed to be frustrated that he couldn't find anything for taking handwritten notes so he decided to make his own.

Here's a video of an early version of NuttyPad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H_2wGmVkbI

30 minutes work it says in the video and it shows.

I understand that the Touchpad was a $100 and that this app is side work so I'm not knocking for what it is. It's just that I'm a BIG time Windows Tablet PC note taker and I live in OneNote and it's just amazing how much better that platform is for ink than EVERYTHING else currently in existence, be it iOS, Android or webOS. Of course good Windows tablets are a lot more expensive but it definitely shows when it comes to inking.

Here's a video of an early version of NuttyPad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H_2wGmVkbI

30 minutes work it says in the video and it shows.

I understand that the Touchpad was a $100 and that this app is side work so I'm not knocking for what it is. It's just that I'm a BIG time Windows Tablet PC note taker and I live in OneNote and it's just amazing how much better that platform is for ink than EVERYTHING else currently in existence, be it iOS, Android or webOS. Of course good Windows tablets are a lot more expensive but it definitely shows when it comes to inking.

Yeah, if I was really into tablet note taking I would have bought a X220T or something similar when I bought a laptop this last summer (I have a T420s). Note taking on the Touchpad was just going to be icing on a great deal.

Hey I understand, for the price you can't beat it and if you can get some additional functionality out the device all the better. I just feel it's kind of a shame that media slates which are the perfect form factor for digital inking overall just aren't very good at it. I know that a lot of people think that pens are obsolete and that touch rules all things but digital ink still has a LOT of use. Hopefully some inexpensive Windows 8 ARM devices will come out with some solid inking capabilities.

I'm assuming we could just BUY a decent stylus pen for $10 or so, correct? Hopefully this app is further developed. I agree that this touch-tablet medium is convenient for note-taking, but I'm not opposed to buying a real tablet if/when I'm serious about it.

I'm new to touchscreens, so I can't decide whether or not I want a screen protector on my HP Touchpad, but I do know that I eventually want to be able to use a stylus for note-taking.

I want a screen protector IF it can protect, reduce glare (w/o appearing fuzzy), and have little or no impact upon touch/stylus responsiveness.

Oh well... I'm not confident that any screen protector can offer those characteristics...maybe if I sacrifice the AG-requirement.

There are a bunch of capacitive styli for the iPad that have different types of points, I don't know how well those would work on a Touchpad, I've seen tips like the one in that NuttyPad video for the iPad but I think that was a custom built stylus in that video.

Don't know if you've ever used a real electromagnetic pen on a tablet before. Android is now supporting them, one's made by a company call N-Trig. Those are ok, but the ones that are made by Wacom are considered the best by most and you only see those in Windows devices as those digitizers cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $200 for a 12" screen, so you're not going to find them in $500 tablets anytime soon. It's one reason why the top end Windows tablets are $1000+ dollars.

Back