Hands on with the ASUS ROG Smartphone

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Hardware Canucks has hands on with ASUS' new ROG smartphone that has its sights set on gaming. Have you ever seen a smartphone with an attachable active cooler? The cooler comes with the phone, but no pricing has been announced. There is a full line of accessories aimed at gaming as well. Seems to be more of a portable console with a phone built in.

Check out the video.

That's actually more interesting than I ever thought it could be. Accessories galore. Best Buy will love these guys.

With games like Fortnite and PUBG, it makes sense we are seeing a phone like this. One thing is for sure, I will never play a "serious" phone game with onscreen controls. So the option for mouse and keyboard/controller support is pretty cool.

Ideally I would just want a Nintendo Switch that wasn't locked down. Battlefield on the go? Fully modded Fallout and Skyrim? Turn based strategy games without bonkers scaling issues? If only...

Wow guess Mobile PUBG and Fortnite are more popular than i thought ( i don`t play any of them)

Headphone jack, check.
128-512GB storage, nice.
MicroSD slot, none-ish. at least they have nice minimum. Still be nice to have one.
Duo screen dock should have full controls.

IDK, might as well get a GPD Win 2.

Who the hell is an enthusiast phone gamer?

people that think cell phones can replace all their real pc's and gamers who think it can replace their
console?

Adding the RGB: like a moth to a flame... :p

[addressable] RGB condoms are next, I'm calling it here first folks! :LOL:

Don't forget about the SD slot on the RGB condom to help you drop off your code to the host system!

Wow! I usually look at the specs & features to decide if a phone is worth buying but I didn't even get that far. This looks like the designers of the ugliest PC cases got together to make a phone.

This looks like the designers of the ugliest PC cases got together to make a phone.
On one hand, the front of the phone looks nice, and since I would never not have a case on my phone, the back doesn't matter. But then, why am I paying for RGB that's going to be hidden, and how well is my case going to fit around all that topographical bullshit? This thing is dumb.

Let's NOT slam this phone! 4000mAh battery on a TRUE flagship. FINALLY!
I mean which flagship phone has this much battery? Samsung S9? Nope. LG G7? Nope. Xiaomi Mi 8? Nope. HTC U12+? Nope. Huawei P20? Nope. P20 Pro? Yes! But it has a shitty Chinese CPU which has a subpar GPU compared to Snapdragon 845.
With that being said, mobile games are mostly P2W shit and accessories for this phone are a gimmick. But yeah, I'd get a top of the line CPU/GPU with a 4000mAh battery. I do like RoG design on things, even this phone.
Also, is that a dual front facing speaker setup?
Edit:
Yes it is!

Last edited:
Let's NOT slam this phone! 4000mAh battery on a TRUE flagship. FINALLY!
I mean which flagship phone has this much battery? Samsung S9? Nope. LG G7? Nope. Xiaomi Mi 8? Nope. HTC U12+? Nope. Huawei P20? Nope. P20 Pro? Yes! But it has a shitty Chinese CPU which has a subpar GPU compared to Snapdragon 845.
With that being said, mobile games are mostly P2W shit and accessories for this phone are a gimmick. But yeah, I'd get a top of the line CPU/GPU with a 4000mAh battery. I do like RoG design on things, even this phone.
Also, is that a dual front facing speaker setup?
Edit:
Yes it is!

My thoughts as well. I have a 4000 mAH battery in my phone and won't settle for less my next upgrade unless it's for a Purism phone.

I know people who would buy something like this if it's advertised as rugged or whatever.

2.96 GHz in a smartphone, though? This is so over the top, it's like their trying to beat Razer, and man, they're succeeding.

It doesn't make a lot of sense NOW, but in few years it's going to make sense and at that point they'll have their n-th generation. Android, though. Ugh...

Wow! I usually look at the specs & features to decide if a phone is worth buying but I didn't even get that far. This looks like the designers of the ugliest PC cases got together to make a phone.

This has actually happened once...
Nokia-NGage-LL.jpg

I predict this will fall just as hard.

I like it. Hell Android minecraft + Chrome can over heat my S9+

Sadly, I wont get it for a ton of reasons.......

1. Still paying off my S7 and S8+
2. My provider is Apple-Samsung only
3. See #1

I watched the video and I'm impressed. The docking station and controller attachments bring it to a whole new level.

I mean I like the idea. A high end phone with controller attachment is something I could see getting. I like tech toys and it would be convenient for gaming on airplanes and such. However I just can't do the "OMG L33T R0XX0R GAMERZ!!!!" look. What an obnoxious looking device.

Back