Handmade down-facing motherboard case (wip)

Grimace

n00b
Here's some pics of my work in progress for my liquid cooled down facing motherboard case. I mounted my old system into this.

I started with a Thermaltake Core P3 (originally an open air case) and oriented it downward with 4 L bars in aluminum to secure it. After that I custom made two side panels to house the 5 radiators. (3 Nexxos Monsta 280s for the GPUs and 2 corsair H110s for the CPUs). The idea is to keep all water beneath all electronics, with the exception of the very top of the radiators, which are kept slightly above the water blocks. The design is meant to ensure that if there is a leak, it does not leak onto any electronics.

The 2 R9-390X GPUs + waterblocks are held in place by two aluminum L-bars, and some trick braces I got in Akihabara, which are made for securing GPUs! The blocks are hooked up in a parallel config to maximize flow.

Motherboard is an Asus Z9-PED8-WS. Had to drill and tap holes to mount the EEB form factor. Its actually mounted one
slot down so that I can have both GPUs use the 16 lane PCIe slots and lanes from CPU1.

10 Gelid 140mm fans at 900RPM help keep dual GPU temps at ~8deg above ambient and dual CPU (Xeon E5-2687W v2) temps at ~20deg above ambient.

(6) 3.5" and (8) 5.25" bay mounts were made out of acrylic. (only 1 side mounted.)

Pump is a Thermaltake PR-22 D5, does a great job of collecting the air out of the system.

Right now I'm running distilled water + Mayhems UV sky blue XT Nuke.
(I was half-considering using Gin and diet Tonic since it also glows under blacklight and is anti-microbial. :) :) )

Fan controller is an Aerocool Touch 2100. The Monsta280 input (Rad1) and output (Rad3) have temp probes on them, connected to the fan controller.

The case bottom is mirrored in order to see any leaks if they occur, and to see the LED digit readout on the Motherboard.

Case is UV lighted to help detect leaks and also better see the fans rotating.

To original back of the Thermaltake Core P3 fits nicely on the top.

Still a bit of work to go with cabling and building the top part of the case.. I have a semi mirrored front panel, and mirrored back son to be installed (infinity mirror.)

test_run.jpg

Here is the case with the bottom mirror assembly removed looking upwards.

top_view.jpg

parallel gpu.jpg
Water_cooling_system + 10 fans + UV.jpg
GPU_Rads_outside.jpg
cpu_rads_outside.jpg
mirrored_bottom_for_case.jpg

Back