HandBrake on Mac Malware from the Source

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
While this will likely not impact a tremendous amount of HardOCP readers, it is worthy of noting that if you have recently downloaded and installed HandBrake for Mac, directly from the HandBrake site, you might be at risk for having been infected with malware. Now, if you use a Mac, you are probably a risk for many other mental illness related afflictions, but you still need to be aware of this specific problem. Removal instructions are posted at the previous link as well. Worth noting is that primary download mirror and website were not affected and our friends at HandBrake have taken the tainted download mirror server offline and are completely rebuilding it, so your current downloads might be a bit slow....but that is probably something Mac users are used to anyway.

If you see a process called "Activity_agent" in the OSX Activity Monitor application. You are infected.

I wouldn’t go as far to compare using a Mac to being susceptible to mental illness, affliction, or disability. That mirrors continue to be targeted as vectors for malware injection is the issue, not a reason to trot out Mac users as a punching bag.

Mac-User.jpg

You know I used to be over and my dad and step moms all the time fixing something on their PC, I told them to get a iMac and I've not had to go over for a computer related issue since.

Finally. Some good news for the Apple camp. A legitimate complaint from something with the word 'hand' in it.

You know I used to be over and my dad and step moms all the time fixing something on their PC, I told them to get a iMac and I've not had to go over for a computer related issue since.

That is because when they had a PC they though they could do something and then when they got mac they realized making any changes was well above their pay grade and stopped while they were ahead.

Reactions: Meeho
like this
Back