HandBrake 1.6.0 Debuts AV1 Transcoding Support for the Masses

I use iTunes server and AppleTV to consume our media in the house. Handbrake and Subler are about all I need for making video files for iTunes. I have iTunes running on Windows which has an Intel A380. Not using AV1 since Apple doesn't support it yet. But the A380 handles h264 and quicksync really well for a dirt cheap GPU (paid $130 for mine at Microcenter).

I use handbrake for other video needs since I am used to it, but for iTunes libraries its a pretty standard tool.

I caught onto a really useful trick that significantly reduced my Handbrake encode times and improved system responsiveness for me. If you're still using a quad core CPU or lower, try turning core isolation off in the Handbrake advanced settings to get a respectable performance boost.

I haven't done encoding in a long time, so I am playing with this doing some h.265 encoding to see how well it reduces some old video files I have. What's odd is that in both h.265 QuickSync and NVEC encoding, I'm getting audio glitches in the exact same spot in the output file that do not appear on the source file. Any ideas? I did leave the audio at default values for MP4 container, I only changed the video and left everything default. I also notice the audio is quieter, any tips?

Thanks.
quicksync encoding is awful, just don't use it. If you want a decent h265 file, you have to CPU it.

quicksync encoding is awful, just don't use it. If you want a decent h265 file, you to CPU it.
it also doesn't compress as well so a "like for like" encode, the quicksync/nvenc output will be larger than the cpu one

We still produce H.264 video AAC audio educational videos as it's almost impossible to find a browser that doesn't support it. If you want to almost guarantee any client being able to stream what they buy and don't want to use a streaming server, H.264 is still the way to go (up to 720p).

We still produce H.264 video AAC audio educational videos as it's almost impossible to find a browser that doesn't support it. If you want to almost guarantee any client being able to stream what they buy and don't want to use a streaming server, H.264 is still the way to go (up to 720p).
in many instances, h.264 will look better than HEVC if you ask me.

Depends on how the compression is done. H.265 has a huge amount of options. It can be visually lossless, all intra. All the way to macro-blocking and long-GOP.
IHMO it excels in lower bandwidth applications, but for decent quality with grain, 264 is better for a certain file size.

I check alot with this https://github.com/pixop/video-compare and the results were very unexpected for me.

Back