HandBrake 1.6.0 Debuts AV1 Transcoding Support for the Masses

kac77

2[H]4U
Last edited:

HandBrake 1.6.0 Debuts AV1 Transcoding Support for the Masses

This major point upgrade is notable for facilitating AV1 video encoding for the first time in a general release. Moreover, those with Intel Quick Sync Video (QSV) enabled processors, and those with Intel Arc GPUs will be able to encode AV1 video with hardware acceleration.
I think the wording here is a little muddy.

As far as I know----AV1 encoding is not possible on Alder Lake and Raptor Lake's iGPU via Quicksync.

Its likely that Handbrake has fully integrated their hardware decode. And when used in Intel's 'deep link' mode with an ARC dedicated GPU: The iGPU on the CPU probably handles decoding via QSV and the ARC dedicated GPU handles Encoding.

Still sticking with HEVC for 4k, it's the standard this gen, royalties or not

Nice to have options though 👍

Edit: I'll compare to HEVC encoding on my 5950x whenever I get around to it just cause

Just curious, what are most people using this for these days? It's just transitioning videos from one format to another isn't it?

Just curious, what are most people using this for these days? It's just transitioning videos from one format to another isn't it?
One potential big upside is for streamers (or the streaming platform, depending who u ask) who seem to rely heavily on h.264. This should offer a good bump in both quality and performance, requiring less bandwidth for better video quality, once it's become widely adopted and mainstream, that is.

One potential big upside is for streamers (or the streaming platform, depending who u ask) who seem to rely heavily on h.264. This should offer a good bump in both quality and performance, requiring less bandwidth for better video quality, once it's become widely adopted and mainstream, that is.

Good to know. I always see Handbrake being mentioned as a "standard" PC app, but I haven't needed to change a video format (without full-on editing the video) since the days of ripping DVD's and such.

Moreover, those with Intel Quick Sync Video (QSV) enabled processors, and those with Intel Arc GPUs will be able to encode AV1 video with hardware acceleration.
I've been using it for about a month now via nightly builds. My i7-6700 gets between 0.5 and 1.5 frames a second encoding AV1. Using my A750 I get up to roughly 390 depending on the quality and the source. I believe it's being limited by my CPU as explained below.

Its likely that Handbrake has fully integrated their hardware decode. And when used in Intel's 'deep link' mode with an ARC dedicated GPU: The iGPU on the CPU probably handles decoding via QSV and the ARC dedicated GPU handles Encoding.
I can't speak to all your points, but I do know that the iGPU will be able to help with the source. From what I can tell from Handbrake's documentation and the support forums, not everything is run on (any) of the hardware accelerated encoding platforms, CPU is still involved for various tasks, primarily what seems to be something to do with the source of the encoding. It seems like it might be a scenario where a stronger iGPU might help, like in my case above where my A750 seems limited by my CPU as my CPU is _PEGGED_ at 100% for a large part of the process while my HWMonitor shows that my GPU is also sitting at 100% utilisation.

Tasks where it's easier to process the source, like a DVD ISO, is much quicker to encode than tasks like converting H265 to AV1, despite supposedly having H265 decode available to me on both my 6800 XT and my A750, Handbrake seems to dump it onto the CPU.

I'm encoding my entire DVD collection to files so that the family can access it from whichever computer in the house.

1672354743742.png

1672354803318.png

And some music videos

Wow, ok. I didn't know that much 4K content existed TBH. What type of episode content is it mostly that is in 4K, anime?

Mostly Game of Thrones 4K UHD collection and Marvel/Star Wars D+ shows, with some other shows in-between. Oldest 4k show is House of Cards from 2014 I think that was the first 4k show I saw.

Mostly Game of Thrones 4K UHD collection and Marvel/Star Wars D+ shows, with some other shows in-between. Oldest 4k show is House of Cards from 2014 I think that was the first 4k show I saw.
My apologies for the stupid question, but what is your source for the shows? Was there a BD release of them? Or is the source material all stream-quality?

Among other shows, I need to re-watch Andor. I'd love to do that from a much higher bitrate source like BD if there were such a thing.

I prioritize IMAX 4K > Dolby Vision (edit: and then DV7 FEL > DV7 MEL/DV8 > DV5 within DV) > HDR10+ > UHD HDR10 over streaming HDR10 for bitrate - in that order, so wherever on the spectrum each titles falls based on what's been released is what I have

Games of Thrones is all all 4K UHD Dolby Vision 7 FEL

I encode all my 4K UHD to 45mbps HEVC though (unless DV7 FEL which can only be remuxed or below 45mbps just gets remuxed unless I need to burn in forced subs) to save some space digitally and physically in amount of HDDs

Last edited:
I haven't done encoding in a long time, so I am playing with this doing some h.265 encoding to see how well it reduces some old video files I have. What's odd is that in both h.265 QuickSync and NVEC encoding, I'm getting audio glitches in the exact same spot in the output file that do not appear on the source file. Any ideas? I did leave the audio at default values for MP4 container, I only changed the video and left everything default. I also notice the audio is quieter, any tips?

Thanks.

I haven't done encoding in a long time, so I am playing with this doing some h.265 encoding to see how well it reduces some old video files I have. What's odd is that in both h.265 QuickSync and NVEC encoding, I'm getting audio glitches in the exact same spot in the output file that do not appear on the source file. Any ideas? I did leave the audio at default values for MP4 container, I only changed the video and left everything default. I also notice the audio is quieter, any tips?

Thanks.

remux to see if it's the file/stream container and encode the remux, see if it still occurs - otherwise re-rip/re-acquire from source 1:1

ffmpeg can pipe a raw h265 stream in and mux it back out IIRC

audio streams i'm not the one to ask I do 2 channel aac with 5.1 upmix to save space and cause i care more about pq

Thanks.
Maybe a change in framerate is causing issues due to syncing audio and video? Setting the framerate to original would solve that. The quieter audio may be caused by not having every channel encoded, encoded to two channels only, or the playback software improperly handling the encoded channels.

On a side note, I always prefer to use passthrough for the audio channels as compressing those usually doesn't save that much space.

I started to encode Saw 2 with the highest quality AV1 preset, and after an hour it's estimating that it will take 29 days to finish the encode. I'm looking forward to seeing the final results of the encode next month. PC is left running 24/7 anyway and i'm almost never in a particular rush for my encodes to finish so this new AV1 format should be pretty interesting for me to use going forward.

I started to encode Saw 2 with the highest quality AV1 preset, and after an hour it's estimating that it will take 29 days to finish the encode. I'm looking forward to seeing the final results of the encode next month. PC is left running 24/7 anyway and i'm almost never in a particular rush for my encodes to finish so this new AV1 format should be pretty interesting for me to use going forward.

When I was around ready to make the switch to 4K/HEVC - my 3570k with Handbrake at the time told me it would take 3 days for an encode at my settings - how I knew it was time for a PC upgrade 😁

This is great in the sense of trying to push a format forward, but for most it won't move the needle anytime soon. The problem is processing time. AV1 is incredible, in terms of what it's able to do with compression. But that then comes with the compromise of either needing highly specialized decoders or brute force to decode. Most people don't have any hardware with even partial AV1 decoding support, and we're years off of full support.

It took Intel, as an example, the better part of 10 years to support the myriad of features h.265 has. I think it will be at least the same before AV1 really enters into the conversation. The way to push its relevance though is to get decoding (and perhaps encoding) support into cellphones/tablets. That will likely increase adoption faster than anything else. However the problem there is that it's semi-politicized. Google is majorly backing AV1 (to the point of even using it as an option on YouTube), but Apple wants to stick with h.265. Most of that all has to do with "money" and who controls what formats. Anyway, that's a digression from the main point that AV1 is years away at best from wide scale adoption.

This is great in the sense of trying to push a format forward, but for most it won't move the needle anytime soon. The problem is processing time. AV1 is incredible, in terms of what it's able to do with compression. But that then comes with the compromise of either needing highly specialized decoders or brute force to decode. Most people don't have any hardware with even partial AV1 decoding support, and we're years off of full support.

It took Intel, as an example, the better part of 10 years to support the myriad of features h.265 has. I think it will be at least the same before AV1 really enters into the conversation. The way to push its relevance though is to get decoding (and perhaps encoding) support into cellphones/tablets. That will likely increase adoption faster than anything else. However the problem there is that it's semi-politicized. Google is majorly backing AV1 (to the point of even using it as an option on YouTube), but Apple wants to stick with h.265. Most of that all has to do with "money" and who controls what formats. Anyway, that's a digression from the main point that AV1 is years away at best from wide scale adoption.

Yes but it's a chicken and egg problem, and after how long it took Handbrake to implement HDR encoding, even long after having both HEVC and 10bit encoding already in Handbrake - I like seeing the options available, even if not usable do to required compute/HW on the user end

It still has benefits to ender users who don't have AV1 decode. A source file in AV1 means a better looking transcode, for the users without the ability to decode AV1.

It still has benefits to ender users who don't have AV1 decode. A source file in AV1 means a better looking transcode, for the users without the ability to decode AV1.
While "technically true", it doesn't make sense to generate AV1 files, send those to people, and then have them go through a very lengthy transcoding process.
It could be stated as being "less bandwidth efficient" to send an h.265 file of comparable image quality. But, when considering time as a value: spending hours transcoding that to another format is very compute and time inefficient. That would only be compounded if instead of just 1 person downloading that file, it was a thousand or ten-thousand. The increased cost to bandwidth is more than offset vs hours and CPU cycles used by everyone else.

It also raises the question of why anyone would distribute a file that people can't immediately view in the first place, which I would argue is bad practice. And then the other issue of how many people would know that they "could" or "should" transcode to another format. The folks with the technical knowledge to do this well are vanishingly small. Most people don't know how to get a proper conceptual export out of a program like Davinci Resolve or Premiere. Even less using Handbrake. I've personally found all of the presets on Handbrake to "not be great". Getting a good result takes at least some level of knowledge to know what all these encoding options do and how to best utilize them.

Suffice to say, the .00001% of people that actually would benefit from "receiving an AV1 file in order to transcode it" to get a better image is vanishingly small. And while technically true, my time transcoding an AV1 file would be better spent by taking another 15 minutes to download an h.265 of comparable quality and doing anything else for 2+ hours. AV1 as a format will only make sense at scale and with everyone having decoding support (eg: a video platform like YouTube or Netflix saving millions a year on bandwidth because of how much video they serve and people's laptops having AV1 decoding support built into their processors and/or video cards). Before then, you're just attempting to build use cases rather than actually having one.

Last edited:
While "technically true", it doesn't make sense to generate AV1 files, send those to people, and then have them go through a very lengthy transcoding process.
It could be stated as being "less bandwidth efficient" to send an h.265 file of comparable image quality. But, when considering time as a value: spending 10-20+ hours transcoding that to another format is very compute and time inefficient. That would only be compounded if instead of just 1 person downloading that file, it was a thousand or ten-thousand. The increased cost to bandwidth is more than offset vs hours and CPU cycles used by everyone else.

It also raises the question of why anyone would distribute a file that people can't immediately view in the first place, which I would argue is bad practice. And then the other issue of how many people would know that they "could" or "should" transcode to another format. The folks with the technical knowledge to do this well are vanishingly small. Most people don't know how to get a proper conceptual export out of a program like Davinci Resolve or Premiere. Even less using Handbrake. I've personally found all of the presets on Handbrake to "not be great". Getting a good result takes at least some level of knowledge to know what all these encoding options do and how to best utilize them.

Suffice to say, the .00001% of people that actually would benefit from "receiving an AV1 file in order to transcode it" to get a better image is vanishingly small. And while technically true, my time transcoding an AV1 file would be better spent by taking another 15 minutes to download an h.265 of comparable quality and doing anything else for 10+ hours. AV1 as a format will only make sense at scale and with everyone having decoding support (eg: a video platform like YouTube or Netflix saving millions a year on bandwidth because of how much video they serve and people's laptops having AV1 decoding support built into their processors and/or video cards). Before then, you're just attempting to build use cases rather than actually having one.

The only practical use case I see happening for myself personally (in just having to deal with AV1 in general) is 4K music videos. Currently VP9 from Youtube - will be AV1 only now I assume 'shortly' - you encounter AV1 as an option randomly and infrequently now as Youtube tests, but along with VP9 still. I assume they'll make everything AVC/AV1 and get rid of VP9.

I encode the VP9 music videos to HEVC just for file consistency on my server, I don't care about any quality hit for just music videos and it's still good enough (but perceivable, to me at least, on such low bitrate files after encoding). I'll do the same to AV1.

Last edited:
It could be stated as being "less bandwidth efficient" to send an h.265 file of comparable image quality. But, when considering time as a value: spending hours transcoding that to another format is very compute and time inefficient. That would only be compounded if instead of just 1 person downloading that file, it was a thousand or ten-thousand. The increased cost to bandwidth is more than offset vs hours and CPU cycles used by everyone else.

Suffice to say, the .00001% of people that actually would benefit from "receiving an AV1 file in order to transcode it" to get a better image is vanishingly small. And while technically true, my time transcoding an AV1 file would be better spent by taking another 15 minutes to download an h.265 of comparable quality and doing anything else for 2+ hours. AV1 as a format will only make sense at scale and with everyone having decoding support (eg: a video platform like YouTube or Netflix saving millions a year on bandwidth because of how much video they serve and people's laptops having AV1 decoding support built into their processors and/or video cards). Before then, you're just attempting to build use cases rather than actually having one.
I mean for for video services like Youtube, Twitch, etc.

Youtube transcodes everything you send them. If you send them AV1, the quality of the transcodes to other video codecs will be better, for anyone whom can't view the original AV1 source. Or even an AV1 transcode to a lower bitrate.

Twitch doesn't receive AV1 yet. But, they have offered transcoding for a long time. The problem is that transcoding is only available to streamers whom have a consistent, decently sized audience. But the fact remains, stream transcodes will look better, if the original stream is AV1.
For it to really work on Twitch, they will need to offer transcodes to every streamer. Which probably means a much larger server base, for Twitch to handle.

**additionally, it could alleviate some inbound bandwidth, for these sites. AV1 looks much better than H.264 at lower bitrates. AV1 could practically halve the upload sizes for major youtube channels, streams, etc. Because the uploaders wouldn't need to overcompensate as much, with huge bitrates.

Last edited:
AV1 is future proofing. Right now it won't be that useful, but once mobile devices can hardware decode AV1 and Youtube, Twitch, etc. switch over, it'll become more and more mainstream.
I still expect it to be about 4 or 5 years before it really gains enough acceptance to become more common than .264 or .265

There's too many damn different HDR standards under .265 at the moment.

AV1 is future proofing. Right now it won't be that useful, but once mobile devices can hardware decode AV1 and Youtube, Twitch, etc. switch over, it'll become more and more mainstream.
Harddrives are pretty cheap. I wouldn't make these kinds of moves under the pretext of future proofing. The cases where it works out in your favor are minimal. What happens if AV1 dies like Betamax?

As someone who regularly works with ProRes, RAW, and h.265 files, I may not be the person to talk to about this though.
I still expect it to be about 4 or 5 years before it really gains enough acceptance to become more common than .264 or .265
Even with the ubiquity of h.265, h.264 still exists. I expect that this will continue here. There are so many encoding options in general. It's one of the major reasons why Handbrake is a nightmare if you don't know anything about video.

The other part of this is the encoding aspect. I doubt h.264 or h.265 will go anywhere simply because those are both incredibly common formats for cameras to record into. And I'm referring to both professional level and consumer level cameras. This is not to mention phones. I think it's highly unlikely that VP.9 will get put into cameras and even more unlikley that AV1 will. It's just too much decoding overhead when trying to edit, especially during multi-track (a constant recommendation is to transcode to ProRes). In places like Davinci Resolve forums (or Facebook groups), a common issue is people not having the computing power to decode h.265, even now in 2022(3). Though I expect that if YouTube allowed for AV1 uploads, that might change that aspect specifically for social, I doubt it will be delivery format to clients for a long, long time, because if clients have an issue with playback they'll lose their mind and generally don't have the technical sense to know that their hardware is the issue.

tl;dr, this reminds me of the XKCD comic about looking at 14 competing formats and saying: we should make a universal format, and then "some time later" now just having 15 competing formats.
There's too many damn different HDR standards under .265 at the moment.
That isn't the fault of h.265. If h.265 ceased to exist, that wouldn't prevent Rec.2020, Rec.2100, Dolby Vision, etc from existing. While talking about gammas is a separate topic, gammas are not encoding dependent.

Last edited:
Harddrives are pretty cheap. I wouldn't make these kinds of moves under the pretext of future proofing. The cases where it works out in your favor are minimal. What happens if AV1 dies like Betamax?

As someone who regularly works with ProRes, RAW, and h.265 files, I may not be the person to talk to about this though.

Even with the ubiquity of h.265, h.264 still exists. I expect that this will continue here. There are so many encoding options in general. It's one of the major reasons why Handbrake is a nightmare if you don't know anything about video.

The other part of this is the encoding aspect. I doubt h.264 or h.265 will go anywhere simply because those are both incredibly common formats for cameras to record into. And I'm referring to both professional level and consumer level cameras. This is not to mention phones. I think it's highly unlikely that VP.9 will get put into cameras and even more unlikley that AV1 will. It's just too much decoding overhead when trying to edit, especially during multi-track (a constant recommendation is to transcode to ProRes). In places like Davinci Resolve forums (or Facebook groups), a common issue is people not having the computing power to decode h.265, even now in 2022(3). Though I expect that if YouTube allowed for AV1 uploads, that might change that aspect specifically for social, I doubt it will be delivery format to clients for a long, long time, because if clients have an issue with playback they'll lose their mind and generally don't have the technical sense to know that their hardware is the issue.

tl;dr, this reminds me of the XKCD comic about looking at 15 competing formats and saying: we should make a universal format, and then "some time later" now just having 15 competing formats.

That isn't the fault of h.265. If h.265 ceased to exist, that wouldn't prevent Rec.2020, Rec.2100, Dolby Vision, etc from existing. While talking about gammas is a separate topic, gammas are not encoding dependent.
The thing which should help AV1 a lot----is the licensing fees to implement it are substantially lower.

AV1 decode hardware has been in Intel CPUs and Nvidia and AMD GPUs, for 2 years. That's already a lot of people with hardware decode, in their PCs. And that will drastically expand, in the next few years. As more people buy new hardware.

The fact its in Intel CPUs----shows AV1 decode can be done on a pretty low power budget----2 yearsa go. I suspect it won't be long, before decode is available for phone and tablet, if its not there already.
*I suppose AMD has it now, since Zen4 has iGPU.

Video servces should be tempted to adopt it. As it can enable them to very noticeably improve quality at lower bitrates. But, also lower the ceiling on bitrate needed for 'max' quality/4K. And there aren't nearly the fees involved, as H.265.

Intel is roadmapped to have AV1 encode in their CPUs, with Meteor Lake. I suspect it won't be long after that, we start seeing cameras and other low power devices with hardware encode.

The thing which should help AV1 a lot----is the licensing fees to implement it are substantially lower.
Right, this is the big driving factor, honestly.
AV1 decode hardware has been in Intel CPUs and Nvidia and AMD GPUs, for 2 years. That's already a lot of people with hardware decode, in their PCs. And that will drastically expand, in the next few years. As more people buy new hardware.

The fact its in Intel CPUs----shows AV1 decode can be done on a pretty low power budget----2 yearsa go. I suspect it won't be long, before decode is available for phone and tablet, if its not there already.
*I suppose AMD has it now, since Zen4 has iGPU.

Video servces should be tempted to adopt it. As it can enable them to very noticeably improve quality at lower bitrates. But, also lower the ceiling on bitrate needed for 'max' quality/4K. And there aren't nearly the fees involved, as H.265.

Intel is roadmapped to have AV1 encode in their CPUs, with Meteor Lake.
Right, I agree for the most part. To me it seems that AV1 is perhaps the file format of choice for streaming services that want to maximize their bandwidth to those that can decode it. Where having multiple versions of the same video is viable and which gets sent can be controlled. (h.265, AV1, SDR and HDR flavors of both, etc).

For general consumers though I see far less of a use case for a long long time.
I suspect it won't be long after that, we start seeing cameras and other low power devices with hardware encode.
This I have strong doubts about. ProRes is the standard in the video world precisely because it is only "lightly compressed" (IE: easy to decode even on a 10+ year old system), all-Intra, and doesn't suffer at all from generational loss. While it might come to phones (again, what with Google wanting to push the format), I find it really unlikely that any file that is getting encoded with the intention of editing it later would want to use this format, precisely because of the decoding overhead. While some would be okay with transcoding every file in their NLE of choice, it won't be what they will want to do or will be ideal. In other words like I said before: it would be a huge workflow problem. The video world for the most part is okay with big video files.

This I have strong doubts about. ProRes is the standard in the video world precisely because it is only "lightly compressed" (IE: easy to decode even on a 10+ year old system), all-Intra, and doesn't suffer at all from generational loss. While it might come to phones (again, what with Google wanting to push the format), I find it really unlikely that any file that is getting encoded with the intention of editing it later would want to use this format, precisely because of the decoding overhead. While some would be okay with transcoding every file in their NLE of choice, it won't be what they will want to do or will be ideal. In other words like I said before: it would be a huge workflow problem. The video world for the most part is okay with big video files.
I'm sure pro-res and things like it, will be around for a long time, For the original recording.
But, AV1 can maximize space. I would think that could be a big feature for something like a GoPro, phone, pocket camera, superzoom camera, etc.

And maximizing space will also be important for storing video. The overhead to use it later, may be larger. But the space savings can be significant. I guess it will be interesting to see how overhead/file size balances out, in various use cases. Something like a youtube channel, could probably massively reduce the size of their B-roll, for example.

but for most it won't move the needle anytime soon...It took Intel, as an example, the better part of 10 years to support the myriad of features h.265 has. I think it will be at least the same before AV1 really enters into the conversation.
14th gen.

Harddrives are pretty cheap.
Not in my country right now, unfortunately.

I think so. But then again, maybe the same applies to me. I am starting off with almost nothing in my personal movie and series library which I am now creating from my DVDs. But then again, I also had maybe 100GB of 1080p60 gameplay footage that I have converted from AMD's H264 to AV1 with a good size reduction, and 350GB of old training and conference videos with significant space savings.[/QUOTE]

Could this not also apply to just after H264 came out in... uh... looks at Wikipedia... geez, twenty years ago in a few hours.

14th gen.
Right. And it means that at least it will be another 5-6 years past that point for there to be around 80% adoption rate for people that have that processor or beyond. In third world countries adoption will take even longer.
Not in my country right now, unfortunately.
It’s all relative. However if you only have personal data and not client data, drive requirements are generally minimal.

If you feel like you need to rip your entire Blu-ray collection, you’re a different class of customer and you should expect to pay for drives.

Most people don’t even bother to have media anymore. Streaming services like Netflix and Spotify have eliminated most consumers want or desire to have digital collections. I would bet that Amazon and Apple make less from downloads and more from streaming these days.

I’m personally a weirdo. I still have my CDs and have ripped all my albums to lossless FLAC.
I think so. But then again, maybe the same applies to me. I am starting off with almost nothing in my personal movie and series library which I am now creating from my DVDs. But then again, I also had maybe 100GB of 1080p60 gameplay footage that I have converted from AMD's H264 to AV1 with a good size reduction, and 350GB of old training and conference videos with significant space savings.
It’s all relative. You’re a fairly unique user at this point.
Could this not also apply to just after H264 came out in... uh... looks at Wikipedia... geez, twenty years ago in a few hours.
Back 20 years ago, formats were the Wild West. A big reason why h.264 and mp3 have survived for so long is precisely because they were the first major formats to have wide scale adoption. MP3 honesty should die, there are far better audio encoders now. But h.264 is still valuable as a lightly compressed acquisition format for consumer level cameras.

Last edited:
I’m personally a weirdo. I still have my CDs and have ripped all my albums to lossless FLAC.
*High five * My duuuuuuuuuude!!!! I have a feeling that if one doesn't have one's own property, in the medium-term future one will regret it.

You’re a fairly unique user at this point.
I feel so very loved. <3 :) :heart with the two hands sign thingy-majig that the kids are using nowadays:

MP3 honesty should die, there are far better audio encoders now.
What do you mean by that please? Smaller? I can't tell the difference between the formats of MP3 and FLACC TBH, even when ripping from CDs.

Edit: Also, Happy New Year!!! :)

*High five * My duuuuuuuuuude!!!! I have a feeling that if one doesn't have one's own property, in the medium-term future one will regret it.
Tough to say. Because of things like piracy (which I'm not saying I recommend), people will have access to whatever they want. If "property holders" don't make music/movies easily accessible via paid for methods, then illegal ones will propagate again. Spotify is more popular than Napster ever was due to making a wide range of music easily accessible via ads and reasonable subscriptions.
I feel so very loved. <3 :) :heart with the two hands sign thingy-majig that the kids are using nowadays:
Lol. 😅
What do you mean by that please? Smaller? I can't tell the difference between the formats of MP3 and FLACC TBH, even when ripping from CDs.
There are better compression algorithms that preserve more of the original signal while having equal or better compression. AAC is better than MP3.
Edit: Also, Happy New Year!!! :)
5 more hours to go here in California (PST), but it's getting close! Happy New Year to you!

How long did it take the scene to transition from Xvid/AVI over to h264/mkv? H265 I'm starting to see more and more of.

How long did it take the scene to transition from Xvid/AVI over to h264/mkv? H265 I'm starting to see more and more of.
it moved SUPER Quick to mkv after divx/xvid/avi, they almost died overnight(not literally). We all collectively gave sighs of relief when we could rely on just mkvs and VLC back in the mid - late 2ks

.mp4 held a fairly tight grip with retail devices. It took quite awhile for smart TVs, cameras, phones, Playstations, etc----to natively recognize .mkv containers. mkv2vob is specifically made to take .mkv and with one click; remux it for PS3. Chunking it out into 4GB files, if needed. And even transcoding audio and video, if needed.

Back