Halp! Obscure Setting Question for Note 3 Guys

madFive

metal[H]ead
Ok, really dumb question for Note 3 users. Google is failing me on this.

How do I change the duration/length of the haptic feedback vibration? This is the vibration you feel when you hit the back button or menu button at the bottom. It’s also used for a few keys in the keyboard and probably more stuff I haven’t noticed yet.

Backstory: I dropped my old Note3 last week and cracked the screen, had insurance, got new Note3, now I’m setting up the new one and getting all my settings back to how I like them. (I still have the old one currently for comparison)

On my old phone, hitting the back button etc, the haptic feedback is a nice pleasant short click feeling. On the new phone the haptic vibration is a long dull numbing reverberating pulse that is driving me nuts!!

I found the settings to turn the haptic feedback off/on and to adjust the volume/intensity of the vibration, but those aren’t the settings I’m looking for. Somewhere in there is a setting to adjust the LENGTH/DURATION/TYPE of the vibration, so you can have it a short click feeling (like typing on the on-screen keyboard) or the long pulse it’s using now.

So how do I adjust that? Is there still a way to adjust, or was that removed by an update at some point? My old phone still has it correct, but maybe I set it a while ago, then the option was removed so it’s just permanently that way?

BTW, these are both a stock Note3’s, 4.4.2. I’m not planning to root or mod the phone to fix this; just hoping to find the regular option in the stock settings. Yes, I know you all hate touch-wiz; don't start ranting about that now - just help me fix my button vibration! :p

Hmm... I turned on dev options, still haven't found it.

Any idea what the option might be called? I know it's possible 'cause I did it on my last Note3, just don't remember how...

Sound ---> vibration intensity

No, Intensity isn't the setting I'm looking for. Somewhere there's an option to set the haptic feedback style/length, like the vibration style setting under ringtones.

On my old Note3 I have it set how I want it; the Vibration-Intensity slider is at ~85%, but when I hit the back button there's just a short strong click feeling. On this new Note3 it's a much longer buzzing feeling - turning down the intensity really doesn't fix the problem.

I vaguely remember a setting with a slider to set the vibration length for that, but I can't remember how to get to it. I'm guessing a system update removed the option a while ago, but my older phone kept the setting from when I set it before...

Really hoping there's still a way to tweak that, 'cause the muddy buzzing feeling is really annoying. I may end up just turning off haptic feedback if I can't find it.

Edit - LOL - ok, I'm still searching Google for how to find this setting, and now this thread keeps popping up in my results. [H] is going up in the ranks! But that is not helping me...

Last edited:
No, Intensity isn't the setting I'm looking for. Somewhere there's an option to set the haptic feedback style/length, like the vibration style setting under ringtones.

On my old Note3 I have it set how I want it; the Vibration-Intensity slider is at ~85%, but when I hit the back button there's just a short strong click feeling. On this new Note3 it's a much longer buzzing feeling - turning down the intensity really doesn't fix the problem.

I vaguely remember a setting with a slider to set the vibration length for that, but I can't remember how to get to it. I'm guessing a system update removed the option a while ago, but my older phone kept the setting from when I set it before...

Really hoping there's still a way to tweak that, 'cause the muddy buzzing feeling is really annoying. I may end up just turning off haptic feedback if I can't find it.

Edit - LOL - ok, I'm still searching Google for how to find this setting, and now this thread keeps popping up in my results. [H] is going up in the ranks! But that is not helping me...
there is no such setting for what you describe.

there is no such setting for what you describe.

Well, there used to be, and not that long ago either. I am currently holding two Galaxy Note 3's, and my slightly older one (now with the broken screen) has a noticeably crisper feel to the touch-key haptic feedback than the new one. The new one has the nice short clicks when typing, and it even uses the short clicks when adjusting the intensity under sound settings, so I know it's capable of doing it, but the Back and Options buttons have that longer "bong" ringing feel on the new phone.

I've also been looking under keyboard settings, but nothing there either yet either... are there any settings in the menu that are just to set up the touch-keys?

Wish I could remember where that setting was.

sound --> vibrations --> xx

try that. I dont think it has anything to do with haptic feedback though.

i cant help but also add that unless you're a person with a specific disability, 99% of the world has haptic feedback off.

i cant help but also add that unless you're a person with a specific disability, 99% of the world has haptic feedback off.

I still have it on, I prefer it for some reason and I don't have any disability

I'd say it's the opposite since haptic feedback is enabled by default and 99% of people don't care enough to change it or prefer it to stay on anyways (as I do too).

OP, maybe factory reset it to see if fixes it, as I don't think there's any specific setting for haptic feedback just on the capacitive buttons. There's probably a root solution or hidden menu (like where it's an option on other variants of the phone but not your carrier's variant like blocking mode was initially missing on some US carrier Samsung phones) where you can change it too.

I think it's an issue with your Note 3. I just tested the feedback on mine at full intensity, and it's a very short and tight vibration.

Back