Halo - The most overrated game ever?

zA.Gosu

Limp Gawd
K, a long rant.

I dug out Halo for PC last week, and played through it. Let me say, it was interesting.

I do NOT have an Xbox, and do not plan to get one. Maybe XBox 2, but not now.

Okay, so i played through Halo, and all of the time i was thinking of all of the reviews that came out when it was on Xbox. "9.9 out of 10" "Flawless" "Masterpiece" ad infinitum.

What A Joke​

So, i played through the campaign. First of all, i set my graphics. Now, the interesting part. I don't make any claims about my rig, but here it is: p4 2.4B, 1gb ddr266, 9600 xt @590/330 (4 pipes). Now, this can play Farcry @medium to high at 10x7. And Farcry looks one Hell of a lot better. Yes, my graphics settings. I could get >30 fps @high on 8x6? That is the most poorly coded graphics solution I have seen.

So, the intro, nothing new. A ship, an AI, and some marines. You play in a generic FPS environment, and with generic weapons. A pistol, a rifle, a Plasma pistol, a plasma rifle. Did I mention the animations? Jerky, ugly, unrealistic.

So, after solidiering through the first mission, you attempt “HALO” For me, this was the best mission, cause I wasn’t so bored with Halo then. Rescue marines, rescue some more, then finally, you rescue marines! Inventive gameplay at it’s greatest.

One then attempts a mission with generic corridors, and after it’s completion, you get to face the best SINGLE part of the game. Pity it lasts for <30 seconds. The beach landing. In this level, you AGAIN go inside into some corridors, and continue an unecentful, GENERIC storyline.

The 2 worst levels in gaming history come next, yes, Assult on the Control Room and The Library. 343 Guilty Spark is excused, because of it’s attempt to advance the storyline.

In the aforementioned levels, one travels through corridors, that are so copy and pasted that the devs put arrows to direct the player, so they do not go the wrong way. The Library is a mission where you go along a corridor, go up an elevator, then go along ANOTHER corridor.

The rest of the game continues in this vein, until an anti-climatic driving sequence.

I tried some multiplayer, just a bunch of laggy noobs running round blood gulch. I could own them all with just a pistol. Crappy networking code BTW.

ENEMIES – I faced a total of 3 DIFFERENT Covenant enemies, and 2 DIFFERENT Flood, and 1 Sentinal.

No variety, and easy disposal of all enemies. I played the game through on heroic no probs. Just simple things like Dual Pistol, which brings me to weapons.

WEAPONS – WOW. I don’t think I have ever played a game where I only needed 3 weapons to win. A plasma pistol, a human pistol, and SOMETIMES a shotty.

Overall – Halo is an overrated, overhyped generic FPS that does not deserve it’s rankings in halls of fame etc.

Im sure many of you will disagree with me, this is my view on it all. Responses such as “HA7O ROXXORS YOUR BOXXORS N00B” will be ignored.

-Gosu

I've been saying that since the Xbox version came out.

It's a fact that the masses tend to appreciate the minimum common denominator in everything, music, films, arts in general. Games can't escape that.

It really isn't all impressive.

But it's like GoldenEye was back on the N64 with superfun multiplayer/co-op.

1. The PC version was a bad port. Come on, it went to Gearbox. Gearbox is where games go to die.

2. It's a console game. While it's fine to compare it to PC games, it really should be judged in context of other console games. And it's excellent compared to other FPS games on consoles.

3. It's been pointed out that Halo finally brought the LAN experience to the masses. Halo2 does this even better.

:eek: At least the purple corridors in dx9 were cool and shiney!!!

On my gf 2 gts they were.. well dx8.1 and no shininess anywhere in the game. I found the game trudgery as well. Good thing I didn't buy it, borrowed it. Fuck Microshit.

~Adam

zA.Gosu said:
K, a long rant.

I dug out Halo for PC last week, and played through it. Let me say, it was interesting.

I do NOT have an Xbox, and do not plan to get one. Maybe XBox 2, but not now.

Okay, so i played through Halo, and all of the time i was thinking of all of the reviews that came out when it was on Xbox. "9.9 out of 10" "Flawless" "Masterpiece" ad infinitum.

What A Joke​

So, i played through the campaign. First of all, i set my graphics. Now, the interesting part. I don't make any claims about my rig, but here it is: p4 2.4B, 1gb ddr266, 9600 xt @590/330 (4 pipes). Now, this can play Farcry @medium to high at 10x7. And Farcry looks one Hell of a lot better. Yes, my graphics settings. I could get >30 fps @high on 8x6? That is the most poorly coded graphics solution I have seen.

So, the intro, nothing new. A ship, an AI, and some marines. You play in a generic FPS environment, and with generic weapons. A pistol, a rifle, a Plasma pistol, a plasma rifle. Did I mention the animations? Jerky, ugly, unrealistic.

So, after solidiering through the first mission, you attempt “HALO” For me, this was the best mission, cause I wasn’t so bored with Halo then. Rescue marines, rescue some more, then finally, you rescue marines! Inventive gameplay at it’s greatest.

One then attempts a mission with generic corridors, and after it’s completion, you get to face the best SINGLE part of the game. Pity it lasts for <30 seconds. The beach landing. In this level, you AGAIN go inside into some corridors, and continue an unecentful, GENERIC storyline.

The 2 worst levels in gaming history come next, yes, Assult on the Control Room and The Library. 343 Guilty Spark is excused, because of it’s attempt to advance the storyline.

In the aforementioned levels, one travels through corridors, that are so copy and pasted that the devs put arrows to direct the player, so they do not go the wrong way. The Library is a mission where you go along a corridor, go up an elevator, then go along ANOTHER corridor.

The rest of the game continues in this vein, until an anti-climatic driving sequence.

I tried some multiplayer, just a bunch of laggy noobs running round blood gulch. I could own them all with just a pistol. Crappy networking code BTW.

ENEMIES – I faced a total of 3 DIFFERENT Covenant enemies, and 2 DIFFERENT Flood, and 1 Sentinal.

No variety, and easy disposal of all enemies. I played the game through on heroic no probs. Just simple things like Dual Pistol, which brings me to weapons.

WEAPONS – WOW. I don’t think I have ever played a game where I only needed 3 weapons to win. A plasma pistol, a human pistol, and SOMETIMES a shotty.

Overall – Halo is an overrated, overhyped generic FPS that does not deserve it’s rankings in halls of fame etc.

Im sure many of you will disagree with me, this is my view on it all. Responses such as “HA7O ROXXORS YOUR BOXXORS N00B” will be ignored.

-Gosu

OMFG, AMEN!
I couldn't agree more. The only reason it is so popular is the console doesn't have any good fps games. That and all the stoners and kiddies who play consoles need simple gameplay to keep them interested. :p
...damned ADHD

It´s overrated as hell sure. But as fps for XBOX or consoles may very well be the best ever but very average on PC.

the reason it is so liked is because all the kids and people who arent good w/ computers can take 4 xboxs and 4 tv's and have a great time. i used to love the game, then i played part 2 and was severly disapointed. now i look back and dont understand why i liked it so much, then i remembered the 16player deatmatchs we would have at my house. lots of shit talking and mouthing plus some alcohol made it fun. and it was pretty much the first game on console u could do that with. thats why everyone likes it

game was ok ..but , as stated, those corridor after corridor after corridor after corridor after ... *SLAP* ....errr ..yeah, they got a little monotonous (sp?)

Had it been released on the PC to begin with it would have just been another mediocre fps. It is only hyped for the console players since there really arn't any good fps, if you want one, it's the only one to get. This is probably the cause of all the hype. I think it's over-rated.

One of my biggest gripes about the game (only having played it multiplayer) is the pistol - it's way too powerful and accurate, add in the zoom & a skilled player can snipe you from across most multiplayer maps with a faster rate of fire than the sniper rifle, no con-trail on the rount to let you know where it's coming from and kill you with 3 shots.

For XBox yes. I ended it in about a week after picking it up at launch and sold it. I didnt care for it all. I however bought the PC version when it was released and liked it a whole lot more than the XBox version. For those that had a system that could run it even it being a old game it was great. I was also surprised at how a 2 year old game looked so much better than many out at the time. Halo 1 on the PC has some of the best textures/surfaces once maxed out.

This game was released SO many years ago. It was a good game THEN, and that's why the game got such good reviews. Also, Halo was the best shooter at the time of its release. Name one shooter that was out back when Halo was released, that was so much better than it. I happened to like Halo, maybe it was because back then I wasn't such a critic and I played the game for what is (a game), or maybe the game was just good.

I am going to start out by just saying it. I like to play halo and is one of the only FPS games that I will play. (UT2k3 and UT2k4 being the other 2 I play) I played it extensively on the Xbox and then tried to play it on the PC. I say tried to play it, because the PC version of Halo was horrible. IMHO I think that calling Halo the most overrated game ever is going a little far. It was overrated, but it was still a fun game to play. Think back to when it was released, what was its competition on the other consoles? There are still not that many good pure FPS games for the consoles. I think that before you state it as the most overrated game, you should first play it on the xbox, and then remember it was released on Xbox long before on the pc and the pc version was a bad port.

Now a side rant:

Almost everytime there is a thread that talks about FPS on a console someone always makes the comment or something very close:
any FPS ona gamepad = gay! nuff said!
Halo was made to be used with a gamepad, so it works really well with the Xbox. There are many console games out there that use a dual analog setup on a gamepad. As long as the game is designed to be used with gamepad, this is an excellent way to control it. I would like to think that people can come up with a more intelligent reason why they don't like using gamepads then "its gay." Maybe that is all they can come up with, because they don't have any good reasons.

zA.Gosu said:

Dont feel like responding to this fully baised "review" if I can even call it that but I think you should at least get your numbers down correctly. First off there were 4 Different types of Covenant 3 of which had variations of themselves. There were 4 Different type of Flood and yes at least you got the part right were there was only 1 type of Sentinal. Congrats on showing you dont know how to count.

Oh and just to piss you off if I havent already...HA7O ROXXORS YOUR BOXXORS N00B!!!!!! yea put me on ignore not my loss

I never managed to play through the game alone cause it was always too boring. BUT and this is a big BUT... Playing on Coop was one of the most entertaining gaming experiences I've ever had.

the only reason why its so entertanining on muliplayer is becuz most xbox users has never eva played games like counter strilke, quake, unreal, medal of honour etc etc on a pc, if they had experienced thsoe type of game son pc, they wud not get soo excited about hal.. halo is rubbish, nothing unique about it! at dat time it came out i believe soldier of fortune 2 was out on pc, compare dat wid alo and i will chosoe sof2 any day mate.. uniquness is what makes a fps game realy good...

it was big b/c it was the only semi-decent FPS for consoles, and it was 2001. it appears the same thing has happend with halo 2.

I got this game for Christmas the year it came out for XBox. I had fun with it till that floating robot showed up...then I got bored. I finished it, but wasn't really having fun. However, I played some of it again on coop with my brother, and that was pretty fun. The game itself doesn't change, but almost any game with coop is just plain fun. Also, multi is pretty fun, but again because of the people, not the game. Even so, I got bored with it entirely after awhile and now I can't touch it.

As for the PC version...I tried it a little. I played some multi with some friends for 15 minutes or so. We decided it sucked and moved on. The Xbox version was fun because of the people. The PC version just isn't fun (plus it's a crappy port).

I liked halo alot, found it to be entertaining and multiplayer was top notch. The PC version sucked, but what do you expect form a port. As for it getting boring, its alot less boring than almost every pc fps I've played.

Alien vs Predator 2 was an exceptional games that was released in 2001.
Deus Ex was released in 2001.
Theif 2 was released in 2001.
RTCW was also released in 2001.
Serious Sam was released in 2001.

The Serious Sam cannon owns EVERY fps weapon!!

Graphically Halo dominates all of these titles (except RTCW and Serious Sam of course).

I seriously doubt that any FPS can be more fun and action packed than Serious Sam or Doom 2.

As far as game play goes, Halo leaves a lot to desire when compared to the graphically lacking fps games mentioned above. I really dont understand the excuse "Halo was better than other fps games released around the same period". It was an extrmely overhyped game. Ill buy it when it hits the $10 bin....after it's sold in a package with another game lol.

jonneymendoza said:
the only reason why its so entertanining on muliplayer is becuz most xbox users has never eva played games like counter strilke, quake, unreal, medal of honour etc etc on a pc, if they had experienced thsoe type of game son pc, they wud not get soo excited about hal.. halo is rubbish, nothing unique about it! at dat time it came out i believe soldier of fortune 2 was out on pc, compare dat wid alo and i will chosoe sof2 any day mate.. uniquness is what makes a fps game realy good...

Wow, simply wow. I'm an Xbox user, and guess what, I also have a killer PC gaming rig. I've played all the popular PC games as well. I loved Halo. The story was decent, especially if you get into the expanded universe. But, I guess that would involve reading, and it appears your command over the English language is negligable at best...

My biggest issue with Halo wasn't so much the game itself--I mean, it was an okay game and everything--but just the way the controls work. I guess I kind of feel this way about any FPS on a console, but I always feel like I'm playing against the controller, and not actually playing the game because I'm so used to a keyboard/mouse.

I thought multiplayer on the PC version was a blast. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Running people over with vehicles, or blowing them out of their warthog with a hand thrown grenade (not some stupid grenade gun), and those sticky grenades that would stick to a guy...the sniper rifle rocked. Lot's of fun.

The main problem I had with the muliplayer was the lack of the ability to dodge from the rockets and such. If you were shot at by a rocket you were pretty screwed.

I do agree the Pc version sucks but nothing beats the xbox version except of course Halo 2.

CleanSlate said:
:eek: At least the purple corridors in dx9 were cool and shiney!!!

On my gf 2 gts they were.. well dx8.1 and no shininess anywhere in the game. I found the game trudgery as well. Good thing I didn't buy it, borrowed it. Fuck Microshit.

~Adam
I hate to burst your bubble, but the GF2 is not capable of DX8.1. At best, it can render in DX7 with T&L. First DX 8.0 cards were the GF3 cards.

As far as Halo, the game was boring. The levels seemed like real long cut and paste levels. The same level seemed to repeat itself over and over.... It was definately coded less then perfect. I remember when it came out, how it brought my 9700-pro to it's knees and that was the best card at the time. Then came along Far Cry with way better graphics and it ran better than Halo. I played Halo once thru and haven't touched it since. The online code really sucked in comparison to Q3 based games.

LMAO what a flame fest.

Its funny, every "Halo sucks" post I read also has in it "I dont have an Xbox but I played Halo on my friends and...".

perhaps we is a bit jealous? Just quit crying, give in and buy an Xbox.

i will agree its one of the best if not the best shooters ON A CONSOLE

first of all...anyone who plays shooting games on a console beyond nintendo 64 is a moron...consoles SUCK for shooters...SUCK HARD...if you are a serious game and serious fps fan and dont play them on the computer i pity you for you are most likely mentally challenged in some way

by computer fps standards halo is pure cheese...it tries to get away with having 3 useful/fun weapons, 4 enemies, and 1 player model in multiplayer...absolute bullshit...take a look at any good multiplayer game for the computer and it absolutely shits on halos multiplayer

halo is for the average run of the mill console gamer...to them it is amazing...just like rap music and the fast and the furious movies...pure mindless crap sells well in america...i hate to say it and im as big a patriot as the next, but we have the most low-brow consumers EVER

halo < any decent pc shooter : halo > most/all console shooters end of story

M$ makes a shooter and they cant even use their graphics language to make halo look good/run @ high FPS :rolleyes:

anyways....the halo demo pretty much give you all what you are going to see

being a PC FPS gamer for a few years, i wont give in to the hype surrounding halo, and i wont declare it "the best game ever", but i will give halo and halo 2 credit for what it tries to do. the halo series attempted to translate the keyboard/mouse formula for PC FPS games into the xbox controller, and again, while i wont say its the greatest game ever, i think it did what it tried to do pretty damn well.

of course, comparing halo to the PC FPS games is going to be an unfair comparison - the FPS originated on the PC, and its had far more room for innovation for the genre to develop itself (most obviously, the freedom of keyboard/mouse). therefore, we tend to expect more from a PC FPS game than we would for, say, a console FPS game, where the genre is relatively undeveloped. console FPS games have indeed been out for a while (snes wolfenstein or doom?), but they dont make up enough of the market share for FPS games on consoles. halo, a console FPS, is one of those games - trying to further develop a console game market that is nowhere near as developed as its PC cousin - therefore, us PC FPS gamers shouldnt expect ANY console FPS game, played on a console, to be up to par with other PC FPS games.

halo simply bought the FPS experience to a market that ordinarly doesn't play FPS games, and i think it did that pretty damn well. its not the greatest game ever, but it is a damn good one. its provided me and my friends with countless hours of entertainment, much like halo 2 will continue to do, and thats all that matters. dont deny yourselves of a great game, for what it tries to do, by making unfair comparisons. an xbox may consist of predominantly PC architecture, but 99% of xbox owners are going to use it like a console. everyones entitled to their opinions, but if youre going to judge any game, 99% is too much of a majority to account for the 1%

CLIFFS
halo is fun for what it tries to do

Halo and Halo2 are not the greatest games ever, but what game is? Halo and Halo2 are kick ass games, and I can sit for hours in front of my big screen going from 16 player session to 16 player session talking trash and running bombs and flags. Its a fun freaking game. So you can't turn as fast with a stick as you can with a mouse. So what?

I really think most of these posts are just from people upset that they never got an XBox. Halo 2 sold bazilions of copies because its an awesome game, not because it sucks, people.

Anf ug_rulz_all, I think Halo is successful in what it tries to do. It is not supposed to replace the PC.

tacomaboy said:
LMAO what a flame fest.

Its funny, every "Halo sucks" post I read also has in it "I dont have an Xbox but I played Halo on my friends and...".

perhaps we is a bit jealous? Just quit crying, give in and buy an Xbox.

I do agree with that. Most people I know who say "Halo sucks" don't even own an xbox. They have only played the game at a frei8nds house or soemthing which will not give you the full experience of the game.

God, do we really need another thread arguing about whether or not Halo is good?

Honestly, it's fucking been done to death. The title comes up in threads that have NOTHING to do with consoles, let alone that particular franchise.

If you like it, great. If you don't, great. Get a life and let the God damned thing go.

Like it or not, Halo 2 has sold 5 million copies in less than a month. They're obviously doing something right.

Back