Halo: The Master Chief Collection (confirmed)

Halo 2 worked pretty much fine as far as I could tell. Cinematics look greatly improved. And the gameplay blows Halo 1 out of the water. Still nothing special. I only ever considered Halo to be an average game so that isn't disappointing. But you can still see Bungie had learned a lot about level design and pacing along with enemy spawn locations between 1 and 2.

Now I'm ready for 3. Been waiting a while to finish the trilogy but will also play the newer games to.
Having to play the Arbiter throughout most of 2 killed any of the improvements they made, in my opinion. Also IMO, 3 is the pinnacle of the Halo series, so you're in for a treat.

Having to play the Arbiter throughout most of 2 killed any of the improvements they made, in my opinion. Also IMO, 3 is the pinnacle of the Halo series, so you're in for a treat.

it would have been for me but the Brute's AI is hot garbage compared to fighting Elites. kinda dulled the 3 experience for me.

it would have been for me but the Brute's AI is hot garbage compared to fighting Elites. kinda dulled the 3 experience for me.

I noticed sometimes the AI wouldn't detect me for a bit. Not sure if that changes with higher difficulty but that might be the reason.

I noticed sometimes the AI wouldn't detect me for a bit. Not sure if that changes with higher difficulty but that might be the reason.

naa, i dove pretty deep into Halo, the elites ai is designed around a traditional military approach of fire and manuver to give them the feel of an organized and disciplened military heirachy. Grunts form the fodder, elites the back bone.

Bungie decided that the brutes being a non-military species of the Covenant shouldn't behave in a traditional manner, instead they roam in hunting packs (they are a hunting species) and charge their target to overwhelm their with their brute force. Compared to the Elites i found them dumb and predictible, thus way too easy as a result. I played them all on legendary at the time, with and without coop.

Elites would shoot at me and bound from cover to cover, often reacting with a flanking manuver if I charged them, brutes would mainly just rush in and die.

Honestly, I thought the Arbiter was the most interesting aspect of Halo 2. Master Chief's campaign wasn't nearly as good.

I also love Halo 3...but wished Bungie did an Arbiter DLC campaign. As his ommision from most of it and sidelined into "background status" was not good for the overall narrative. I think an additional DLC campaign could have rounded out an otherwise great campaign.

Let us not talk about ODST. The less said about that...the better.

Reactions: Damos
like this
Honestly, I thought the Arbiter was the most interesting aspect of Halo 2. Master Chief's campaign wasn't nearly as good.

I also love Halo 3...but wished Bungie did an Arbiter DLC campaign. As his ommision from most of it and sidelined into "background status" was not good for the overall narrative. I think an additional DLC campaign could have rounded out an otherwise great campaign.

Let us not talk about ODST. The less said about that...the better.

You would be in the minority, the arbiter was an annoying blight, you didn't even feel like an alien when playing, just master cheif with a cloaking device, plasma grenades and a sword.

You would be in the minority, the arbiter was an annoying blight, you didn't even feel like an alien when playing, just master cheif with a cloaking device, plasma grenades and a sword.

While I agree with that I think he had more of a character than Master Chief.

Ending was odd though. I see why they left it where it was to build into the 3rd game and get the hype up for that, but it seems like Master Chief's story was just beginning.

Disagree. One, Arbiter was played by Keith David. Automatically better than Master Chief. Two, he had an actual origin and purpose...thus an "arc." Though, it gets dropped for Halo 3. Which is a mistake. Though they could have fixed this by making DLC or having ODST be the Arbiter campaign. Master Chief is incredibly similar to almost all other FPS protaganist. In that, they are merely a vessel for the player. Sure, Bungie might have failed at making the Arbiter different. But, that's a separate thing from his actual character within the narrative. Honestly, he was and is more interesting.

Disagree. One, Arbiter was played by Keith David. Automatically better than Master Chief. Two, he had an actual origin and purpose...thus an "arc." Though, it gets dropped for Halo 3. Which is a mistake. Though they could have fixed this by making DLC or having ODST be the Arbiter campaign. Master Chief is incredibly similar to almost all other FPS protaganist. In that, they are merely a vessel for the player. Sure, Bungie might have failed at making the Arbiter different. But, that's a separate thing from his actual character within the narrative. Honestly, he was and is more interesting.

You know what, agree to disagree, Bungie was right to drop the arbiter bate and switch from the third.

The master cheif was only a vehicle for the broader narrative about the conflict between humanity and the covenant. It was that narrative that drove halo, not their underdeveloped and lack luster arby sub-plot.

Last edited:
For campaigns I liked the first one the best but I enjoyed Halo 1-3.
Combat Evolved introduced you to the Halo universe (if you played them in order). Halo 2 added to it. Halo 3 added more to it, but fighting Brutes wasn't as fun. ODST was something different and kinda meh.
Reach was an abomination of the Halo lore, but it was ok otherwise.
Halo 4 sucked. Fighting the robots was boring as hell and not fun in any way.
I didn't even play 5. I used to be the hugest Halo fan, I played all the games a shitton, read all the books, etc. But after the MCC launch debacle on Xbox One I was done with Halo. I haven't bought the MCC on PC yet and I'm not sure I will. It feels wrong to give them any money after that.

I didn't even play 5.
You missed nothing of value. I borrowed the game and still felt like I got ripped off. No one will give a shit if it never comes to PC. Will be interesting to see Halo Infinite launching on PC at the same time as console. I wonder how that game will turn out.

I had no plans to buy Halo MCC on PC, at least not until all the games were out and it was on sale, but I was gifted it for Christmas last year. While I've been able to enjoy Halo experiences on PC with mouse and keyboard in the past thanks to Gearbox's original Halo CE port, and Halo 2 Project Cartographer, I've never been able to enjoy Halo Reach, Halo 3, or ODST with mouse and keyboard, which I am eagerly looking forward to. I've played all these games to death on consoles over the years, but playing Reach on PC with mouse and keyboard was like I finally TRULY played it for the first time. Looking forward to doing the same with Halo 3 and ODST. While I prefer the original art and graphics for Halo 1 and 2, the new graphics and assets for the Anniversary editions are still quite interesting, especially with how they can change mood and atmosphere and such. The H1A new graphics were okay, but the ones for H2A are considerably more impactful and immersive. Really cool how they changed up the feel of certain areas and parts of the game. The new lighting is awesome. Also loving the new weapon audio, and some of the remastered music tracks. Being able to switch between the old and new graphics on the fly is really fucking cool. Used to take a while with H1A on X360, but the XB1 version of that and H2A switched much faster. Of course on PC the switch is damn near instantaneous. Despite their flaws I still enjoy all the Halo campaigns, and as each game has been released on PC MCC I've been going through them all again. Although I don't know if I will bother to play Halo 4 again. I've played it twice, once on X360 in co-op and again co-op on XB1 MCC. Those two times were more than enough. I'm just waiting for Halo 3 and ODST at this point.

You missed nothing of value. I borrowed the game and still felt like I got ripped off. No one will give a shit if it never comes to PC.

I would like it to come. No way I am playing Infinite/6 without first playing 5. Seems like the new games aren't as good, which is okay, but I'd still like to play them anyways. I thought Halo was vastly over rated back in the day. So while 4/5/6 may be worse than the originals, I'm not expecting a masterpiece either. But a semi fun FPS that I can finish in a weekend? Count me in.

I would like it to come. No way I am playing Infinite/6 without first playing 5. Seems like the new games aren't as good, which is okay, but I'd still like to play them anyways. I thought Halo was vastly over rated back in the day. So while 4/5/6 may be worse than the originals, I'm not expecting a masterpiece either. But a semi fun FPS that I can finish in a weekend? Count me in.

ehh, 5 is marginally better than 4 at least.

You missed nothing of value. I borrowed the game and still felt like I got ripped off. No one will give a shit if it never comes to PC. Will be interesting to see Halo Infinite launching on PC at the same time as console. I wonder how that game will turn out.

I had no plans to buy Halo MCC on PC, at least not until all the games were out and it was on sale, but I was gifted it for Christmas last year. While I've been able to enjoy Halo experiences on PC with mouse and keyboard in the past thanks to Gearbox's original Halo CE port, and Halo 2 Project Cartographer, I've never been able to enjoy Halo Reach, Halo 3, or ODST with mouse and keyboard, which I am eagerly looking forward to. I've played all these games to death on consoles over the years, but playing Reach on PC with mouse and keyboard was like I finally TRULY played it for the first time. Looking forward to doing the same with Halo 3 and ODST. While I prefer the original art and graphics for Halo 1 and 2, the new graphics and assets for the Anniversary editions are still quite interesting, especially with how they can change mood and atmosphere and such. The H1A new graphics were okay, but the ones for H2A are considerably more impactful and immersive. Really cool how they changed up the feel of certain areas and parts of the game. The new lighting is awesome. Also loving the new weapon audio, and some of the remastered music tracks. Being able to switch between the old and new graphics on the fly is really fucking cool. Used to take a while with H1A on X360, but the XB1 version of that and H2A switched much faster. Of course on PC the switch is damn near instantaneous. Despite their flaws I still enjoy all the Halo campaigns, and as each game has been released on PC MCC I've been going through them all again. Although I don't know if I will bother to play Halo 4 again. I've played it twice, once on X360 in co-op and again co-op on XB1 MCC. Those two times were more than enough. I'm just waiting for Halo 3 and ODST at this point.
The only worthwhile part of 5 - MP - has been free on the PC for years, anyways. Halo 5 Forge from the MSFT store. Even has a server browser ( you can also download the server app from MSFT and host your own).

That being said, I haven't played it in years. I'd bet on the MP scene being nearly dead by now. Shame, too, since I had a lot of fun in custom games.

for any insiders, halo 3 flight has been extended until monday june 29th. didnt even realise it was going on....

Just seen this on sale, for those that have it how does multiplayer work? Do you need to buy the full set to get MP or is there a specific one for access to it?

Just seen this on sale, for those that have it how does multiplayer work? Do you need to buy the full set to get MP or is there a specific one for access to it?
MP content will be limited to whichever games you buy. You do not need to buy the full package or specific games to get MP.

MP content will be limited to whichever games you buy. You do not need to buy the full package or specific games to get MP.
excellent thanks! Really only interested in halo 1 and reach for single player and multiplayer because I loved halo MP back in the day

Halo 3 releasing for the first time on PC as part of The Master Chief Collection on July 14.

Back