Halo Runs like ass.

Dan_D

Extremely [H]
I got Halo for PC recently. The game runs like ASS. I'm serious. It bogs down real bad when enemies are on screen and it has very inconsistant frame rates throughout the game.

I've tried it on various resolutions w/and w/o Vsync and at different refreshe's and the game just runs choppy. Its not unplayable exactly but it's not easy to play with the kind of lag I get at times.

I've made sure theres nothing running in the background on my system. I've got the latest Catalyst drivers and Windows XP SP-2 Beta. (I know it's a Beta and could be the problem.)

My system is in the sig. It's not exactly a slow machine. It's pretty decent.

It's not your system man, it's the shoddy code. Bungie didn't handle the port and it ended up being about as functional as a remote control dipped in sulfuric acid. and covered with tacks.

It's sad that Halo for the Xbox, released for 2001 on a system that is about 1/4 of what we're using, could be so much better than the PC version. It's a testament to what focused developing on consoles can accomplish.

You won't even see Halo run fine even on the X800XT cards. Even though the game runs smooth on the Geforce3. *sigh*

Still no Co-op = still no buy.

IT runs fine on my sys... It seems that diff combinations of hardware work better than others.

Well I updated my Intel Chipset drivers and that improved performance alot. It runs really playable although it's not as smooth as say Painkiller or UT2004. Although now it probably runs smoother than Farcry. Although not by much.

But I agree with the comment about the port being pretty crappy. That game should be running smoother than UT2004 or anything else if it were coded correctly. IF they can make it run that well on an Xbox they should be able to make it run smoother at higher resolutions on a PC.

That being said the PC version looks pretty good. It's been awhile since I've had a fun FPS Sci-Fi shooter other than the UT games.

Its like GTA3. If youre lucky it will run good on your hardware.

Well the NVIDIA 6800U were quite a bit faster at Halo than the X800s. Anyway, it ran slow for what it renders. I play it with everything turned on except specular shadows and 1024x768 and the frame rate is decent most the times. System is in the sig. You system is a lot faster than mine. The patches since its release help probably 15%.

Go into your display properties for the card, and set AA and AF to Application preference. See if that fixes your problem. It did for me.

The patches definatley help. I never really had a problem running it on two differnt rigs, Nvidia and ATI, on my gf4 is when I had the most trouble, but nothing too bad at all. On my 5900 and 9800 it ran pretty damn good.

Comte said:
Go into your display properties for the card, and set AA and AF to Application preference. See if that fixes your problem. It did for me.

These settings are already set on Application Preference. The game is playing well enough to stand right now. But still slow for what it is.

it runs just fine on my system (in sig)
i have never had any problems with halo

Back