Halo: Reach CO-OP doesn't work on new 4GB Xbox 360 slim

You forgot the OS. About 200usd, unless if you want to use loopholes, less than legal means, or Linux.

But hey - you can use Linux, just download from your other PC (or buy a disc with it).

Why do PC owners constantly have to build from scratch though? If I build a new PC, I typically transfer over my OS license to the new PC. Hence, problem solved.

You forgot the OS. About 200usd, unless if you want to use loopholes, less than legal means, or Linux.

But hey - you can use Linux, just download from your other PC (or buy a disc with it).

That is BEYOND silly.

#1 Windows 7 Home OEM is 100USD
#2 You are given a number of activations to move the key to another computer and can receive more if you can prove you purchased that copy.

Says who? Where's your proof
Yeah because I love all the cheats and hackers on pc games. It is quite a bit harder to cheat on consoles considering your whole system gets banned if you do. I prefer the xbox live multiplayer over pc any day cheaters actually get banned.

Amen to that, pc sucks cause you can't play online without dang hackers in every game and server u go in, xbox u never run into that with the exception of a few glitches that are found and usually patched

This morning Microsoft insisted the limitation is "temporary", but could not say when it will be fixed.

A Microsoft spokesperson told Eurogamer: "We are aware of the issue and are quickly working to resolve it."

Who's to say what this fix is though? As far as we know, it could just be getting the Hard Drive to retail. Thus, problem solved.

Amen to that, pc sucks cause you can't play online without dang hackers in every game and server u go in, xbox u never run into that with the exception of a few glitches that are found and usually patched

VAC Servers FTW

Obviously I must ben playing on all the wrong servers, as I seldom see cheaters in any game.

Now cheat accusations? Those are another issue. I see tons of cheat accusations. But mostly those are made by skill-less noobs who believe that anyone better than them must be cheating.

You're right though that the XBox has an advantage doing a hardware ban for cheaters, whereas the PC cheat detector software is just limited to banning the copy. With piracy, the PC cheater can just come back. I can just imagine the outcry if Punkbuster or VAC banned the computer.

I SERIOUSLY hope they do not allow USB systems to be used that arent atleast as fast as the slowest XB360 HD. That would create a mountain of issues.
Why? It's only for co-op. It's not like it's going to screw with competitive MP.

At worst you'd have to wait a little longer for a level to load.

So what's the rationale behind this requirement? I have a 120GB Elite model and a 20GB Pro model, but I don't see why Halo Reach would specifically require a harddrive for further functionality. The article claims a USB thumb stick "doesn't fill in for the absent storage" either. A thumb stick can provide up to 16GB of storage, but at a fraction of the bandwidth. What's the dealio? Does Reach require harddrive installation for coop?

So what's the rationale behind this requirement? I have a 120GB Elite model and a 20GB Pro model, but I don't see why Halo Reach would specifically require a harddrive for further functionality. The article claims a USB thumb stick "doesn't fill in for the absent storage" either. A thumb stick can provide up to 16GB of storage, but at a fraction of the bandwidth. What's the dealio? Does Reach require harddrive installation for coop?

It's the way the game is programmed. Because of the way the XBox Development Kit works, you can choose between a Hard Drive and other sources, but USB is incredibly slow, and was only introduced lately, and the memory cards have very limited space.

So, they check the HD to do cacheing for levels. It's much easier to do that than add in code depending upon what model of the XBox 360 you have. After all, one of the beauties about consoles is that they're supposidly all the same, so as such, you always develop for the lowest common denominator, because you don't have to worry about hardware differences. Thus, if you have a different model, don't expect for games to take advantage of it.

I figured this was something that could be patched. Sounds like that's what will happen.

You just proved you can't read. I guess you missed the whole you can sell 360 games, that reduces the overall cost of ownership by a ton. Don't see that happening on the pc much with all the drm. I guess you also missed that I said twice you can play with multiple people on the same xbox which is a huge advantage over the pc. I have a pc that was bought in 2005 with x800xl it wont play many moden games because it lacks a ton of newer features like the revisions to direct x, some newer games wont even install on it. If you're going to post at least back it up with good arguments not with my $450 pc that lacks windows is better than your $300 xbox.

Good point. I'm sure GameStop would be happy to pay you a dollar or two for your new game so they can sell it for $5 off retail price.

Says who? Where's your proof

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

Yeah because I love all the cheats and hackers on pc games. It is quite a bit harder to cheat on consoles considering your whole system gets banned if you do. I prefer the xbox live multiplayer over pc any day cheaters actually get banned.

Are you serious? MW2 has a zillion cheaters, sure, but that's the developer's fault. Half-decent games like Bad Company 2 or TF2 and many others have it under control. In fact, with over 410 hours of BC2, I can tell you I have seen 3 cheaters so far, and they were later banned by PB. (No, someone killing you does not mean they hack.)

If anything, it's easier to cheat on consoles because there are no anti-cheat systems in place like PunkBuster or VAC.

Yes, it can. However, for 300usd PC from 2005, hell-fucking-no. A PC from that era, at that price, would have trouble running windows 7 + office, much less a game (empirical experience, I tried to upgrade all of our Athlon 64 computers to win 7... horrid results ensued for me). Let's say you were an absolute idiot, and bought all 5 years of XBL at full price. Now you have recouped the cost of Microsoft Windows XP Pro, full version (rather dicsounted, too, irrc it was much more expensive for the full version).

Except in 2005, your 360 was more like $500 or $600.

I completely understand that a PC cannot compete on basis of initial price. Consoles are cheap from the start, but extract the cash out of you over a few years. In any case, let's say you managed to pick up a $300 360 back in 2005 (almost impossible from what I heard). You paid $100 for multiplayer over two years. And then you probably bought a bunch of games when you bought the console, so that's another $10 for each game that you wouldn't have paid had you bought a PC.

It all adds up, and in the end, a very good and capable PC can be just as much or cheaper than a console, and it will still offer you a better experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKnaixPCsns

I'm just gonna do that. Ghetto, but it works. I'm not paying 130+ bucks for a turd drive from microslam my bank account.

if you do that, take a peice of foam and make a cutout for the hdd and use a peice of electical tape on the end of the hdd where the foam goes like this

top view of hdd
_________
_________|
________*|*
_________|

Side view
***<---foam cutout
*||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||-<hard drive (connecto end)
***<---foam cutout

That way when you move your system around you are not stressing the connectors on the drive or the 360 slim and it prevents the drive from moving around.

Why do PC owners constantly have to build from scratch though? If I build a new PC, I typically transfer over my OS license to the new PC. Hence, problem solved.
I don't. I do get my stuff from Dreakspark, still... (so I run s2008r2 workstation'd)
That is BEYOND silly.

#1 Windows 7 Home OEM is 100USD
#2 You are given a number of activations to move the key to another computer and can receive more if you can prove you purchased that copy.

It's only beyond silly in 2005. But hey, thank you for taking that I said out of context, and ignoring my subsequent post clearing that up. I hate ninja edits, but whatever.

Thanks for this post! Was about to go buy a slim but the main reason I am getting it is for Halo of course. No Slim for me now

This one of the funniest things I've heard all week. It's what happens when everyone flocks to something. The company starts not caring about providing a quality experience. The sad part is, rather than doing something about it, people will just now buy the more expensive version which is exactly what Microsoft wants you to do.

^

Nope not me I'm just gonna buy a 20 dollar ebay old xbox360 hdd and slap it in my new slim. Problem solved.

I knew an XBOX with a HD would be a problem sooner or later but I didn't expect it to happen on a high profile game like Halo. Perhaps it has happened in other games but it didn't get much attention in the media unlike this.

Why are you guys debating about PC vs consoles? They both cater to different markets and you should just leave it at that. I definitely agree that PC gaming is much more expensive to get into and the technology moves so fast that your PC can quickly be left behind. Say you built a $300 computer (excluding software + peripherals) in 2005 and bought a 360 at the same time. Now let's try to play two recently released games, Halo Reach and Metro 2033. Reach will play smoothly and look pretty but let's try to play Metro 2033 at the same resolution as Reach on your $300 computer from 2005..

... it will still offer you a better experience.

To who?? Gaming is entirely subjective and people's experiences vary from person to person. On some days, I like to sit at my computer and play some intense FPS but other days I like to sit back on the couch and enjoy a nice RPG on my console. Point is, both offer good experiences and it'd be very tough for me to choose one over the other, hence the reason why I own both.

One thing you did not touch on at all in your posts is local multi-player gaming on the consoles. Perhaps you don't have any experience in this? For example, in preparation for the upcoming football season, we had a Madden tournament at my apartment, featuring Madden '11, a PS3, and a few of my buddies. You can't do this on a PC and for this reason alone, a console is worth having.

^if you could run reach at a res similar to 600p i am willing to bet metro 2033 would run on a 2005 PC lol

Good point. I'm sure GameStop would be happy to pay you a dollar or two for your new game so they can sell it for $5 off retail price.

Cause you can't sell it to someone else besides game stop and you can only buy used games at gamestop. You can sell very few used pc games but you can resell any xbox game, the buyer will get it cheap and you will make money back.

Where does it say most have a c2d or similar/newer pc, don't see that anywhere.
Are you serious? MW2 has a zillion cheaters, sure, but that's the developer's fault. Half-decent games like Bad Company 2 or TF2 and many others have it under control. In fact, with over 410 hours of BC2, I can tell you I have seen 3 cheaters so far, and they were later banned by PB. (No, someone killing you does not mean they hack.)
Lol why ask if I am serious, only a troll could say pc games have the same amount of cheaters as xbox live. There are very few ways to cheat on xbox live and they get patched and cheaters get banned quickly.
If anything, it's easier to cheat on consoles because there are no anti-cheat systems in place like PunkBuster or VAC.
Once again you are proving you are not smart, I dare you to sign on to xbox live with a hacked console and cheat. If your console gets banned that's it you have to buy another console, there is nothing like that on the pc. You can't run unsigned code on the xbox without getting banned from xbox live.

Except in 2005, your 360 was more like $500 or $600.
$399 in 2005, you are constantly mixing facts up.
I completely understand that a PC cannot compete on basis of initial price. Consoles are cheap from the start, but extract the cash out of you over a few years. In any case, let's say you managed to pick up a $300 360 back in 2005 (almost impossible from what I heard). You paid $100 for multiplayer over two years. And then you probably bought a bunch of games when you bought the console, so that's another $10 for each game that you wouldn't have paid had you bought a PC.
You don't understand at all. The core 360 was $300 in 2005, seriously you fail at argument, you keep quoting erroneous data and saying it is impossible to get a 360 for that price just proves it even more. I have never paid more than $30 for a year of xbox live. I have bought 3 games for my 360, once again making assumptions, once again you assume I bought them new and for $10 more than a pc game. You assume to much.
It all adds up, and in the end, a very good and capable PC can be just as much or cheaper than a console, and it will still offer you a better experience.
You have yet to prove any of this
Wow you fail big time at comprehension and reason.

Last edited:
if you do that, take a peice of foam and make a cutout for the hdd and use a peice of electical tape on the end of the hdd where the foam goes like this

top view of hdd
_________
_________|
________*|*
_________|

Side view
***<---foam cutout
*||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||-<hard drive (connecto end)
***<---foam cutout

That way when you move your system around you are not stressing the connectors on the drive or the 360 slim and it prevents the drive from moving around.

I was gonna do this but you don't need to. I took my 120gb hard drive and put in the slim 4g and when you lay it sideways the hard drive will rest on the sides where it starts to "V" down.

Back