Halo Infinite

Delayed to 2021. Seems like the right choice to me.

343 and Microsoft probably don't want to go up against Cyberpunk 2077 this holiday season. Cyberpunk 2077 is a game that's going to break records when it comes out. Meanwhile, Halo is a declining franchise who's best days are long behind it. Add to that the poor reception to the visuals and the risky proposition of breaking from the traditional linear game format in favor of a more open world experience, and delaying the game starts to make a lot of sense. They'll need a lot of time to retool the graphics and ensure the game is in a better state sometime next year. Obviously, they don't state that these are the reasons for the delay, but I'd bet money that those two factors are the cause of this.

Last edited:
Bungie and Microsoft probably don't want to go up against Cyberpunk 2077 this holiday season. Cyberpunk 2077 is a game that's going to break records when it comes out. Meanwhile, Halo is a declining franchise who's best days are long behind it. Add to that the poor reception to the visuals and the risky proposition of breaking from the traditional linear game format in favor of a more open world experience, and delaying the game starts to make a lot of sense. They'll need a lot of time to retool the graphics and ensure the game is in a better state sometime next year. Obviously, they don't state that these are the reasons for the delay, but I'd bet money that those two factors are the cause of this.

Also, this is the big game the Series X will bring to the table (yes it is also on PC to). Always best to have it launch alongside the console, but better to make sure it is a console seller than something that needs 3-6 weeks of patches.

Also, this is the big game the Series X will bring to the table (yes it is also on PC to). Always best to have it launch alongside the console, but better to make sure it is a console seller than something that needs 3-6 weeks of patches.

It will take a lot longer than 3-6 weeks to update the visuals.

Bungie and Microsoft probably don't want to go up against Cyberpunk 2077 this holiday season. Cyberpunk 2077 is a game that's going to break records when it comes out. Meanwhile, Halo is a declining franchise who's best days are long behind it. Add to that the poor reception to the visuals and the risky proposition of breaking from the traditional linear game format in favor of a more open world experience, and delaying the game starts to make a lot of sense. They'll need a lot of time to retool the graphics and ensure the game is in a better state sometime next year. Obviously, they don't state that these are the reasons for the delay, but I'd bet money that those two factors are the cause of this.
Bungie has nothing to do with halo anymore. They have separated from MS years ago. MS can't screw this up. One of the xbone major pitfalls was they had no system sellers. Halo itself hasn't been a systems seller since 3 but it still has name recognition can push systems.

Last edited:
It will take a lot longer than 3-6 weeks to update the visuals.

Do you think that is their intent? How far can they push a game that still needs to run on the weakest console of the current generation?

I assumed the delay had more to do with content than visuals. Halo has never really been praised for it's visuals anyway. Their focal point should be on making the game more exciting than what was shown off.

Bungie has nothing to do with halo anymore. They have separated from MS years ago. MS can't screw this up. One of the xbone major pitfalls was they had no system sellers. Halo itself hasn't been a systems seller since 3 but it still has name recognition can push systems.

I am well aware of this. Even after all this time its hard not to associate Bungie with Halo. I realize its 343 and that Bungie split with Halo 4 & 5 being done entirely by 343.

Do you think that is their intent? How far can they push a game that still needs to run on the weakest console of the current generation?

I assumed the delay had more to do with content than visuals. Halo has never really been praised for it's visuals anyway. Their focal point should be on making the game more exciting than what was shown off.

Visuals had a lot to do with how poorly the game footage was received. Between the poor visuals and nothing terribly ground breaking on the gameplay front, I think MS realized the game has little chance squaring off against other holiday games like Cyberpunk 2077. Granted you don't get that much out of a trailer when it comes to gameplay, so visuals might be the bigger part of that. The game's visuals became instant memes and not in a way that's going to drive sales. So, revamping the game which should nearly have been done likely includes more than just visual improvements. It's also an open world game, a first in the franchise. 343 and MS have to be careful with it and taking the time to retool the game is a good decision in my opinion.

Last edited:
Visuals had a lot to do with how poorly the game footage was received. Between Cyberpunk 2077 and the poorly received visuals and general lukewarm reception, Visuals are only part of that, so revamping the game which should nearly have been done likely includes more than that. It's also an open world game, a first in the franchise. 343 and MS have to be careful with it and taking the time to retool the game is a good decision in my opinion.

I know people were hard on the visuals. I still question what can be done when they need to keep compatible with the One S. My biggest gripe with the visuals was that everything had a very plain, bland astetic. The map they showed was simple, with sharp geometry lacking in detail. If the map was specifically designed that way so it would run on One S, then they're going to stay that way. Do we know if the demo had Ray tracing? That's a potential avenue to add some extra flair, but I think that's the sort of stuff were going to see if they tweak visuals... pretty effects tossed in on top of a Still bland environment. Stuff that can be added without ant fundamental changes to the game.

Whatever they do, I will just about always stand behind a studio that chooses to delay a game. I always have more games than I have time for lately, so it's not as if I ever am sitting around waiting for a new game to drop. Getting it sooner means nothing to me. I'd rather get the best game it can possibly be, however long that may take. Same reason I didn't give cp2077 shit with it's numerous delays. It hasn't crossed my mind this summer, not once, that we should have been playing it four months ago. When it releases, the fact that it's 7 months late will have no bearing on whether or not I'm happy with it. Polish and stability obviously will.

A delay, even one that weakens the XSX launch, was the right thing to do.

Reactions: SoFGR
like this
I know people were hard on the visuals. I still question what can be done when they need to keep compatible with the One S. My biggest gripe with the visuals was that everything had a very plain, bland astetic. The map they showed was simple, with sharp geometry lacking in detail. If the map was specifically designed that way so it would run on One S, then they're going to stay that way. Do we know if the demo had Ray tracing? That's a potential avenue to add some extra flair, but I think that's the sort of stuff were going to see if they tweak visuals... pretty effects tossed in on top of a Still bland environment. Stuff that can be added without ant fundamental changes to the game.

Whatever they do, I will just about always stand behind a studio that chooses to delay a game. I always have more games than I have time for lately, so it's not as if I ever am sitting around waiting for a new game to drop. Getting it sooner means nothing to me. I'd rather get the best game it can possibly be, however long that may take. Same reason I didn't give cp2077 shit with it's numerous delays. It hasn't crossed my mind this summer, not once, that we should have been playing it four months ago. When it releases, the fact that it's 7 months late will have no bearing on whether or not I'm happy with it. Polish and stability obviously will.

A delay, even one that weakens the XSX launch, was the right thing to do.

They always have the option of rendering it a lower resolution and then upscaling it for the XBOX One S. It wouldn't be the first transitional games to straddle two console generations either. Obviously, one will be downgraded from the other. But to save face, MS and 343 are going to have to improve the game dramatically based on the feedback from the fans which wasn't just about the visual quality alone. There are some weird artwork decisions, such as Masterchief's armor reverting to an earlier design and so on. I don't know if they'll revisit any of that, but we may get more polish and quality of life enhancements since this open world games are new for 343 and for Halo.

As for the last part, I couldn't agree more.

343 and Microsoft probably don't want to go up against Cyberpunk 2077 this holiday season. Cyberpunk 2077 is a game that's going to break records when it comes out. Meanwhile, Halo is a declining franchise who's best days are long behind it. Add to that the poor reception to the visuals and the risky proposition of breaking from the traditional linear game format in favor of a more open world experience, and delaying the game starts to make a lot of sense. They'll need a lot of time to retool the graphics and ensure the game is in a better state sometime next year. Obviously, they don't state that these are the reasons for the delay, but I'd bet money that those two factors are the cause of this.

That's a very positive and optimistic way to look at it.
Based on my experience with other 343 releases my guess is there are major problems with the game they need more time to fix, crashes and game breaking bugs.

Reactions: Dan_D
like this
Based on my experience with other 343 releases my guess is there are major problems with the game they need more time to fix, crashes and game breaking bugs.

Honestly, it feels like there are major problems with 343 in general. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the studio is an absolute mess internally and in need of a serious management shake-up.

Reactions: Dan_D
like this

I saw some stuff today about 343. While hard to confirm, it's likely that you are correct. Still, I think the factors I mentioned are came into play as well.

I saw some stuff today about 343. While hard to confirm, it's likely that you are correct. Still, I think the factors I mentioned are came into play as well.

I'm sure they both do. I hope they don't try to do too much and end up having another disaster like the MCC release on Xbox One.

Online, definitely. Wouldn't count on local though, not even sure of the console versions have local.

Halo 5 did not have local co-op, every other game did. Best I could find was a post from a moderator on the Halo forums which read " It was confirmed in February 2017 by Bonnie Ross that Halo "will always have split-screen support going forward" ". That said, local co-op was removed from MCC on PC, even though it's present on consoles. There are mods to make it happen, not sure how stable/reliable they are. Assuming the above statement is true, and Infinity will have local co-op, I still don't think I'd hold out for seeing it on PC. Maybe we stand a chance because Infinite was presumably developed with PC in mind from day one where as the games in MCC definitely were not... but I just don't think this is seen as a priority feature for PC players.

I agree about online co-op though, that's been a staple of Halo since the first game, and to my knowledge works just fine for MCC on PC. I think you can be just about 100% certain that 4-player co-op will be fully supported online.

Halo veteran Joseph Staten is returning to help with Halo Infinite

A developer responsible for shaping the Halo universe is returning to the series...Joseph Staten, who worked as director of cinematics on the first three mainline Halo games at Bungie, among other roles, is temporarily joining 343 Industries as project lead for the Halo Infinite campaign...

https://www.pcgamer.com/halo-veteran-joseph-staten-is-returning-to-help-with-halo-infinite/

Last edited:
Not sure it's a good sign if they have to suddenly bring in a new project lead for the game. Might be more trouble than just rough graphics with Infinite.

They always have the option of rendering it a lower resolution and then upscaling it for the XBOX One S. It wouldn't be the first transitional games to straddle two console generations either. Obviously, one will be downgraded from the other. But to save face, MS and 343 are going to have to improve the game dramatically based on the feedback from the fans which wasn't just about the visual quality alone. There are some weird artwork decisions, such as Masterchief's armor reverting to an earlier design and so on. I don't know if they'll revisit any of that, but we may get more polish and quality of life enhancements since this open world games are new for 343 and for Halo.

As for the last part, I couldn't agree more.

Personally I thought Matser Chief 's armour was the only good looking thing in the demo. The newer 'Michael Bay' aesthetic 343 'pioneered' has never been appealing.

CRISP CRUNCH gun sounds at least its on Steam not sure if the game has MP dont think it will be as good as Destiny.

I feel like Halo's time has passed without an overhaul. Disregarding the "meh" graphics and performance issues from that old video, it was a product of its time. After #3, it's like they ran out of ideas in spite of Halo having a universe with a lot of leeway and lore.
Whatever they end up doing with it, I favor something big akin to what Resident Evil 4 and GTA3 did. It's probably too late for Infinite, but you never know. Some devs (Capcom being a major one) have been known to make total 180's on mostly finished games.

I feel like Halo's time has passed without an overhaul. Disregarding the "meh" graphics and performance issues from that old video, it was a product of its time. After #3, it's like they ran out of ideas in spite of Halo having a universe with a lot of leeway and lore.
Whatever they end up doing with it, I favor something big akin to what Resident Evil 4 and GTA3 did. It's probably too late for Infinite, but you never know. Some devs (Capcom being a major one) have been known to make total 180's on mostly finished games.
Most of what you say is true, but the thing is with any mage hit franchise there is always the capability to bring it back if the market opens a hole. Good examples are apple with the iPod, and in the game world loser franchises like titan fall were able to become smash hits because battle royale opened a hole.
The most ironic thing I think about all this is that probably the most important change Halo could ever do will never happen. That is MS needs to sell the thing on play station. Now days in order to generate the hype to make a game into a smash hit I feel like you really need to be out on all 3 major gaming platforms and preferable launch at the same time. Apex legends seems to have taken any wind out of what would have been for halo.

I haven't played the last couple of Halo's... but has John and Cortana done the deed yet? Figure either virtually or maybe she'll get a cybernetic body (ala ME Joker and Evi), but there's no way you can deny his raging hard-on for that rogue AI Construct.

1623684014355.png

Any official word on how they are going to monetise this?

Halo Infinite won't feature loot boxes, and its battle passes last forever

This afternoon, 343 dove deeper into the multiplayer footage it showed off earlier this weekend with a look at everything from the training academy to armor customization...importantly, however, it also gave us an insight into the game's monetization...

Halo Infinite won't feature loot boxes, and its battle passes last forever

This afternoon, 343 dove deeper into the multiplayer footage it showed off earlier this weekend with a look at everything from the training academy to armor customization...importantly, however, it also gave us an insight into the game's monetization...

Never liked the floaty feel of Halo, but for free will give it a fair go.....especially if its not P2W.

I though they delayed it cause of the outcry of how terrible this looked. This the best they can do?

Back