Halo Infinite becomes most-played Xbox game on Steam ever in under 24 hours

zamardii12

2[H]4U
Wait, what?

Xbox games are on Steam now?

They ditched Windows Store several yeas back.

You only have to put up with that shit if you were a fool and somehow found Gamepass for windows to be "good value"

it's easy for them to have an amazing first day launch, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't falloff afterwards (the "big map " battles feel tiny compared tto other multiplayer games from 2009, no to mention 2021...so why even bother going "open world" when you're stuck inside an Armpit?)

Last edited:

You only have to put up with that shit if you were a fool and somehow found Gamepass for windows to be "good value"

it's easy for them to have an amazing first day launch, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't falloff afterwards (the "big map " battles feel tiny compared tto other multiplayer games from 2009, no to mention 2021...so why even bother going "open world" when you're stuck inside an Armpit?)

You know what. My bad. I keep forgetting that Microsoft renamed everything gaming "Xbox".

So, when they said "Xbox game on Steam" I was thinking it was an actual Xbox console game on Steam. That's what I was responding to.

I still think that was th emost boneheaded branding mistake ever, to create confusion by making everything games in Microsoft "Xbox". Especially since to many on the PC platform "Xbox" is a pejorative for silly consoles.

You know what. My bad. I keep forgetting that Microsoft renamed everything gaming "Xbox".

So, when they said "Xbox game on Steam" I was thinking it was an actual Xbox console game on Steam. That's what I was responding to.

I still think that was th emost boneheaded branding mistake ever, to create confusion by making everything games in Microsoft "Xbox". Especially since to many on the PC platform "Xbox" is a pejorative for silly consoles.

Well, It's not wrong - they are still requiring logins to Xbox Live (they have no reason to use Steamworks MP, but at least they're targeting WIN64 instead of Metro-Sexual locked-down UWP!)

Small maps? Who cares? Blood gulch was fun for CTF.

I have the halo master collection on steam, but have repeatedly gotten side tracked playing other games. I want to replay Halo and Halo 2, try out the rest.

As long as it doesn't become a skin/micro transaction thing I'll consider giving it a try. Problem is it releases around the time of BF2042.

Just look at how they name their consoles, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Xbox One X, Xbox Series X.
I know the 360 was named that way since Xbox 2 sounded older and last gen than Playstation 3.
and don't get me started on the USB 3 renaming scheme. USB 3.2 Gen 1, Gen 2, Gen 2x2
Should have just made it like this so you know what you are getting easier
3.0 5Gbps
3.1 10Gbps
3.2 20Gbps
3.3 40Gbps

Last edited:
Tried to download this last night but the xbox.com website refused to load properly, no matter the browser....

Wait, what?

Xbox games are on Steam now?
Have been for a few years now. Quantum Break was the first Xbox Game Studios game to make the jump in 2016, followed by Killer Instinct in 2017.

They didn't ditch anything. XGS games are released simultaneously on both the Microsoft Store (formerly Windows Store) and Steam.

I have had my gripes with the Microsoft Store, but never had any issue with it. I had to reset the store cache once in six years. Microsoft recently announced forthcoming changes to the store that will make it more "Steam-like," including no longer locking down game folders and letting you move things around once installed.

Have been for a few years now. Quantum Break was the first Xbox Game Studios game to make the jump in 2016, followed by Killer Instinct in 2017.

Yeah, my mistake as I mentioned above was that I forgot all about the whole "Xbox Studios" branding thing and was thinking Xbox as in the physical hardware console.

I still think it was the most boneheaded move ever for Microsoft to adopt the Xbox branding for all of their gaming efforts, even on the PC.

When I heard Xbox, the first thing I think of is this, and that's probably not about to change any time soon. Engrained brain pattern associations don't change overnight.

xbox360-rrod.jpg

Yeah, my mistake as I mentioned above was that I forgot all about the whole "Xbox Studios" branding thing and was thinking Xbox as in the physical hardware console.

I still think it was the most boneheaded move ever for Microsoft to adopt the Xbox branding for all of their gaming efforts, even on the PC.

When I heard Xbox, the first thing I think of is this, and that's probably not about to change any time soon. Engrained brain pattern associations don't change overnight.

View attachment 413511
That was 16 years ago. You need to resync your clock with GPS time.

That was 16 years ago. You need to resync your clock with GPS time.

To be fair, I wasn't specifically thinking of the Xbox 360 rings of death issue, just of the physical Xbox console in general. I know they look differently today. This was just the funniest of the pictures that showed up when I searched for "xbox console pictures"

That said, while I know they look differently today I am so separated from the world of consoles (we have none in our house, and I haven't lived in a house that had one since ~1993) and I don't even know if I know anyone who has a console these days from any of the brands. I can sort of picture the design language of current gen consoles from memory but not quite.

I vaguely remember the current Xbox being black and green with some sort of eggcrate like thing going on on top, and the current PlayStation reminding me of a Portal turret, but that's about it. I have certainly never seen one in person or ever played on one.

I am not exaggerating when I say its been a LONG time since I've played a game on a console, any console.

Actually, let me walk back one of my previous statements.

I did briefly own a PS3 in like 2006, 2007 or so. I never owned a game for it though. I only bought it because at the time I bought it Blurays were fairly new, and it was the only decent player on the market. I never played a game on that thing.

Before that, the last time I used a console was briefly when I was staying with my parents for a couple of weeks. (divorce is a bitch) One of my younger siblings who was still living there had an old PS2 and an older copy of Katamari Damacy which I briefly played out of boredom. Thought it was fun, but didn't really have much interest.

Before that, the last time was briefly in college (1999) when a floor-mate brought an old Nintendo 64 to the dorm to play GoldenEye. They roped me into joining them, and I hated the experience. Split screen? yuck. Having to use a controller for a FPS game? Yuck. I quit after two rounds.

Before that, my last console experience was on my own console, the 8bit NES, which I owned from ~1987-1991 or so.

I am literally completely and totally ignorant of the console world, consoles that are on the market, or any console games, and I have never once in the last almost 20 years been tempted to play a game, any game on a console.

While I am a huge tech enthusiast and have been into games for closing in on 40 years, my knowledge of consoles and interest in consoles is similar to my knowledge of and interest in Gucci bags. In other words, completely non-existent. They and the people who are interested in them operate in a world that is completely separate from mine, and there is little to no overlap.

(And who knew, apparently those two worlds collide as well?)

1637175975593.png
link

Anyway, my point is, this is not my world, it is to be expected that my recollection of it may not be entirely up to date, because quite frankly...

1637176112802.png

Last edited:
Much as I want to love the news, Halo was a lame-assed multiplayer experience nearly 20 years ago........and nothing about it has changed. Even watching people try to play this game online now make it look like they're playing a Halo 2 remaster....they're all bored......its pretty archaic :p You love it, good for you, but yeesh the hype this game gets for being about as rudimentary as it gets, meh. floaty jumps...4 guns.....I think crouch is a feature........ =|

Same for me. I still see/hear "Xbox" anything = console ecosystem.

Gonna try it out this time around. I wasn't a big Halo fan originally because it was on console. Mainly because UT was in it's prime and couldn't be bothered learning to aim with a game pad while trying to learn double wall jumps and teleport kills with mouse and kb.

Gonna try it out this time around. I wasn't a big Halo fan originally because it was on console. Mainly because UT was in it's prime and couldn't be bothered learning to aim with a game pad while trying to learn double wall jumps and teleport kills with mouse and kb.

The Halo devs said the original Halo was inspired by the original UT. The multiplayer gameplay is fairly similar, just more optimized for console by slowing everything down and simplifying it a bit.

Halo was a solid game. I played Halo 3 a bunch on the Xbox 360. But it was pretty basic, and not as good as popular FPS games for PC at the time.

I think the draw was that it was one of the only good online FPS games on a console (at the time) and it was easier to get into than some other games. But looked at objectively, it just wasn't great.

In any case, I subscribe to the Xbox Game Pass. It's actually a great deal, they have tons of good games on it. I mean, just Forza 5 alone costs $60, and you can get a trial for the Game Pass for $1 and play Forza.

I downloaded it and played it for a few hours. It's refreshingly not too complicated of a game. However I hate how they the gun "spawn points" are pretty subtle, but that's how it always has been I think. I never really played Halo past Halo 2, and never owned the games myself, always played at friends houses.
Sometimes I just want to play a couple complete rounds of something for 15-30 mins. Battle Royale games are cool and all, but also can be frustrating when you spend 15 mins gearing up your guy and get killed without firing a shot lol, then other times you win without firing a shot... Both are frustrating and unsatisfying.
I still fire up Quake Live from time to time....

The Halo devs said the original Halo was inspired by the original UT. The multiplayer gameplay is fairly similar, just more optimized for console by slowing everything down and simplifying it a bit.
I think if I started with Halo I'd appreciate it more. I do feel like they simplify a lot of games lately and call it new (not saying this is the case here esp since its started as console) An example.. I felt like Rocket League is just a dumbed down version of UT Bombing Run...but prob just bitter since RL is infinitely more popular prob because of the simplicity.

I downloaded it and played it for a few hours. It's refreshingly not too complicated of a game. However I hate how they the gun "spawn points" are pretty subtle, but that's how it always has been I think. I never really played Halo past Halo 2, and never owned the games myself, always played at friends houses.
Sometimes I just want to play a couple complete rounds of something for 15-30 mins. Battle Royale games are cool and all, but also can be frustrating when you spend 15 mins gearing up your guy and get killed without firing a shot lol, then other times you win without firing a shot... Both are frustrating and unsatisfying.
Same reaction to it here, uninstalled, it's all a bit meh...

If you press Z it shows you where the weapon spawns are, at least I think that's the default key.

I'm glad they're releasing this directly on Steam, much like Sea of Thieves, Master Chief Collection, and some other 1st party Microsoft titles. This apppears that MS finally realized that coming to people on Steam, the platform that people actually want to use and full of legitimate features, getting 70% -80% (lets be real, for a AAA game almost all of them sell enough to cut Steam's cut down to 20% almost out of the gate, while also taking advantage of all Steam infrastructure and API stuff ) of the purchase price is better than demanding 100% of your own proprietary platform that nobody wants to use. I have to admit its puzzling to me that in light of this, GamePass isn't available on Steam. A huge percentage of its titles are there, Steam technically can support the "game auth'd because of subscription, temporarily" feature and all they'd need is to flag the library title a different title from owning it outright, and it would be mutually beneficial. Steam would likely be a vector for new signups, MS would get subscribers to GamePass who would never use it otherwise, and players would be able to use the platform of preference (including on stuff lilke Linux without a lot of fucking around)!

In any case, I'm interested to try out Halo Infinite. The Multiplayer is something of a beta for now with the campaign coming in December. I'm actually more interested in that part and any upcoming co-op/PVE elements either the campaign itself or modes for the multiplayer, events etc. It has been ages since I've played Halo titles and sporatically at that (I was playing on PC and kept to the JP consoles during the original XBox era) I picked up the MCC for the hell of it on Steam but its part of my backlog - I feel like I should probably play through that first to get the story complete before the Infinite campaign. Though, oddly MCC doesnt' include Halo 5 which I'm told happens right prior to Infinite; its not available a la carte on Steam again and a cursory check suggests that its not well rated compared to many others in the series, but I still wish they had it on Steam not just Windows Store or whatever the hell. In any event, I'll check out Halo Infinite but I am a bit skeptical of the monetization - I'm okay with battle/season passes, but a lot of a la carte stuff exclusive to purchase atop this seem to be present as well which is a bad taste.

Add me on Steam and if you catch me on I'll play, 2674101

Halo deserves credit for being the first Console FPS that felt 'good' with the controller...it didn't hurt that the game's aiming cursor was the size of an english muffin on the screen but that was one of the first ways they began to tweak game controls to console joypads first, and not try to port mouse/keyboard from a PC. There were other PC ports of FPS's on consoles prior to Halo, but Halo was the first that you never felt you were fighting the
controls constantly (at least that was my and a lot of other peoples experience).

To its credit it had a long campaign and just when you thought the campaign was about to wrap up, it introduced a sort of horror-element that extended it by nearly 50% so you really did get your monies worth with the first game and its campaign. Halo 2 and 3 I've basically forgotten.....the big issue I have with FPS's is when the guns they give you are not satisfying to use, and the Halo games served up the same 3 or 4 Human guns and the same 3 or 4 "alien guns" which were utterly pew-pew style energy weapons and you had to use them a lot of the time which I just plain hated, it lost that visceral combat feel....it felt like the game had been Disney-fied..... And as much as one can argue that the call of duty games weapons are like Taco bell, the same 4 ingredients just mixed-up to get you to pretend you're eating something different, in the end at least you can pretend that there is a lot of variety.....with Halo you were always getting 4 ingredients and told to make the best of em :p

I have no faith in that game at all I mean Destiny 2 is where the game should be not stuck in 2005 cringe.
If the Beta test wasn't FTP nobody would play it.

I have no faith in that game at all I mean Destiny 2 is where the game should be not stuck in 2005 cringe.
If the Beta test wasn't FTP nobody would play it.
Did you even play it? It's fun and I generally hate a lot of new games I try for various reasons 🤷‍♂️

I watched a video for about 30 seconds. Looks way too clean no flying or gliding in Destiny's crucible.

Steam has the Multiplayer version posted FOR FREE right now, gee I wonder why considering how the pricing on games the past few years has been (stupid high especially on older games) and oh, BTW how much will that GPU cost ya on ebay these days?

Yeah, the boot camp section doesn't covers any of this. if they want to retain players - how about going over all the controls + weapon spawns in the only training?
? I found out about it by doing the tutorial. I would have had no idea otherwise.

I'm looking forward to ranked or competitive stronghold.

In what, another year+ when they finally release the whole game?

Only 343 Industries could take twice as much time just to finish a base Bungle game! (still missing old features!) Yet Microsoft has never once threatened them with handing the reins to someone else?

Whatever happened to the MS that sacked Chris Roberts? Until they get their balls back, the games will be FOREVER marginal

Last edited:

Only 343 Industries could take twice as much time just to finish a base Bungle game! (still missing old features!) Yet Microsoft has never once threatened them with handing the reins to someone else?

Whatever happened to the MS that sacked Chris Roberts? Until they get their balls back, the games will be FOREVER marginal

I think 343 is terrible, but I don't think there is hope for Halo no matter what MS does.

They already have been using third parties to work with 343 on the Halo games. I think for MCC they had a different studio working on each game, and it ended up fucking terrible.

What studio could they have make a new Halo game that would actually live up to the original original trilogy? There are very few franchises that have been picked up by some other studio and revived with the same success.

I think 343 is terrible, but I don't think there is hope for Halo no matter what MS does.

They already have been using third parties to work with 343 on the Halo games. I think for MCC they had a different studio working on each game, and it ended up fucking terrible.

What studio could they have make a new Halo game that would actually live up to the original original trilogy? There are very few franchises that have been picked up by some other studio and revived with the same success.

343 industries aka Shitty bungie has been trying milk the halo franchise for years. This latest iteration actually seems decent. But it's more of a call back to halo 3/reach in many regards.

There's some serious weapon balance issues (as there always is) TTK is way to low. default magazine sizes are sadly tiny, in which even a small boost would feel better and the shotgun takes 3 shots to kill.

I still believe the biggest frustration for me is that i'm still getting matched with people with bad connections. It makes the game run poorly and ruins the experience for many.

I'm just saying the only hope i s a massive Xbox management shakeup - unlikely to happen when MS ha been satisfied with being a distanyt #3 for the last decade

Sorry Bethesda, they will carve you up and eat your desiccated corpse within 10 ears

For now it's fine and my friends and I can hop in and play a few games. As far as the other stuff you said I have no idea what you're talking about. I haven't played or followed anything halo since halo 1. This is just to hold me out for the next game I get into.

Back