Halo 5: Guardians

Same here, don't get me wrong BO3 looks like a regurgitation of AW but I'm going to be forced to get it if I have buds over and don't want them to be bored watching me play Halo 5. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me. Just an example that 343 is being a lazy prostitute. Throw in horrible matchmaking like MCC and the beta and this is going to be a love/hate relationship with the game.

I never played MCC but heard horrible things. If Halo 5 MM is like MCC then I'll just return it. Hope reviews come out before I pick it up. If it even had 2 player split screen mp I would have liked it because I have my theater and game room right next to each other both with Xbox Ones but they couldnt even do that.

Wow, it has taken almost 40 minutes to install the game and now needs a 9 GB update. Wtf.

Played first 2 missions and it is pretty meh thus far. Some fun moments but generally action is pretty muted and the gun sounds are horrible. Voice acting is good but the voice overs are muted due to overly loud music score that is also a bit removed from action. The gun play is tight as ever and AI uses same last minute dodge routines that we have seen since Halo 1. The Spartans are helpful and now you technically have about one extra life since you can call them for a resurrect. For me that meant I am playing more recklessly than I normally would.

It is like a mash up of Halo, Gears of War and COD and seems to have borrowed most things. I think my only real complaints are sound of guns, storyline and some thing that is missing in terms of player engagement.

Final point on the graphics. The 60 fps is smooth as butter but the graphics really look Halo 4 like. It is quite possibly the worst looking shooter of this generation that I have played barring remakes. However, I never played a Halo game for graphics so it is not really a complaint from me and I didn't mention it in my complaints above.

Last edited:
I never played MCC but heard horrible things. If Halo 5 MM is like MCC then I'll just return it. Hope reviews come out before I pick it up. If it even had 2 player split screen mp I would have liked it because I have my theater and game room right next to each other both with Xbox Ones but they couldnt even do that.
Oh yeah, all of the negatives are true for MCC but to play splitscreen with some classic Halo, it's the only game in town I'm afraid :( Very immature players tend to play it too, reminiscent of CoD players. Once in a while we run into awesome folks, one dude does a killer Meatwad impression and was doing the Buffalo Bill goodbye horses scene from Silence of the Lambs. Back to the game though, yeah it is difficult to believe the same people who made 4 did the matchmaking for MCC and 5. With 4, you could join parties very effectively, drop out, come back, join games easily, continue playing with the same players consecutively. All of that changed with MCC, and lately the voice chat has been dropping out (not my router, happens to everybody). I called it quits for a while but am unable to stay away from MCC because the wife plays it :D
Wow, it has taken almost 40 minutes to install the game and now needs a 9 GB update. Wtf.
Some things never change, that is one thing that marred the launch of MCC; a ~28GB requisite patch before you could even play the campaign.

My copy is supposed to be here tuesday by the end of the day... but I'm expecting to have to spend an additional couple of hours downloading updates or stuff not on the disk heh.

I just finished watching Halo: Nightfall which is apparently the origin story of an ONI operative we will be able to play in Guardians. Should I speed read through the Forerunner book series or will playing Halo 4 be enough backstory for 5? I've read most of the other Halo books save for one or two of the newer ones..

Forerunner stuff you can read on wiki if you just want to know what happened. There is some serious space magic involved in Halo 4 lol.

My copy is supposed to be here tuesday by the end of the day... but I'm expecting to have to spend an additional couple of hours downloading updates or stuff not on the disk heh.

I just finished watching Halo: Nightfall which is apparently the origin story of an ONI operative we will be able to play in Guardians. Should I speed read through the Forerunner book series or will playing Halo 4 be enough backstory for 5? I've read most of the other Halo books save for one or two of the newer ones..

Go to Gamestop man =) Make some enemies =)

Gamestop at midnight for a huge release!?.... only if I had working Mjolnir armor!

I have now done about 5 missions in this game and I think it is the weakest in the series. Hell, even if you download data from the data pad but walk again in the same location, it still shows you option to download the data from the data pad. Once you do it, it then says you already found this data pad. It is so fucking annoying compared to just archiving the info in an intel folder in options etc.

I really am not feeling the game and maybe it gets better later but it just does not feel like Halo at all.

So is it fluid yet? Singleplayer was never it's shinning point.
So are you saying that the multiplayer cuts it off at the knees? :D

I remember standing in line for Halo 3 in college. No way in hell am I doing that again as a responsible adult. I'll just pick it up during lunch tomorrow :p.

I want to skip this game but if it's comes out for Windows 10 I'll be glad I did.

Halo 4 gave me some pretty good eyestrain

Preloaded this on friday. It doesn't unlock till 11pm central time (tonight) for me.

So are you saying that the multiplayer cuts it off at the knees? :D

I remember standing in line for Halo 3 in college. No way in hell am I doing that again as a responsible adult. I'll just pick it up during lunch tomorrow :p.

Yeah well Halo 3 was still a real Halo game (made by Bungie). These new ones are just themed knockoffs.

I watched about 20min of the multiplayer on Twitch and couldn't distinguish it from a Xbox360 game in terms of gunplay and graphics.

Maybe the Singleplayer got a graphical upgrade? I suppose I expected a little more for a new console and flagship title.

If you are looking for graphics look elsewhere. I can't tell difference between Halo 4 in MCC vs this to be honest except some very basic particle effects. Also the HUD Is fucking huge and annoying.

It's getting good reviews, though the opinions on the campaign seem to range from exciting to meh.

5/15 campaign missions were pretty meh. Also the gun sounds are so bad. Loaded up Halo 2 in MCC package and guns actually make fantastic sounds. In this one, nope.

I am excited to try war zone.

5/15 campaign missions were pretty meh. Also the gun sounds are so bad. Loaded up Halo 2 in MCC package and guns actually make fantastic sounds. In this one, nope.

I am excited to try war zone.

Sounds like I'll like Halo 5 sounds. I thought H2A gun sounds were absolutely garbage. I was actually pretty pissed about that. H1A sounds were way better. Halo 4 has the best by far.

Why do they have to include that spartan style visor HUD. It doesn't immerse me at all I hate it.

Damnit, no split-screen means no buy for me.

Having friends/family all lounging on the couch with SS going was 100% of the draw for me.

I'll pass. So disappointing.

I have to wait for dumbass Target to let you do store pick-up. You can get it for $10 less, and you also get a free figure.

A 9gb game update after preloading 54gb last Friday is a bit much... :/

Yea, well I wanted a physical copy and its taken about an hour to install the game.

I mainly don't want to get throttled by my ISP.60+GB is just too big for me to justify getting it via a digital download.

Why do they have to include that spartan style visor HUD. It doesn't immerse me at all I hate it.
I hate it too. It covers the whole fucking screen it seems and makes already low FOV seem even worse. It is like I am looking through horse blinders. :mad:

Another thing I am noticing are the size proportions of NPCs. In cutscenes, the Spartans stand tall among puny humans and even sometimes the covenant. Go back into the game and size of soldiers vs. Spartans is pretty similar (like all other games). It is a bit jarring.

I've been enjoying the Warzone mode. It's a nice change from the standard Arena mode, and it feels a lot like "Battlefield: Halo" IMO.

About 3 missions in and meh... I also noticed the size distortion on some of the NPC characters. I haven't played a Halo since the 3rd one though. Overall, the game feels very underwhelming so far. And, fuck the HUD.

Anybody watch the live event on YouTube last night? They kept throwing up free game activation codes to see who could type it in the fastest.

Yeah no way will I buy this game unless it comes to Windows......
I want it but I don't want it for 500.00 for another console.....

Graphics look fine to me, though I'm not playing this game for that. Multiplayer on the other hand is extremely fun.

I honestly can say this is the most fun I've had playing a competitive multiplayer console game in ages.

This coming from a long time CS:GO player and that's usually all I play. It's just so god damn fun and everything is fluid and great. I used to think COD had the best shooting mechanics/aiming feel you could get on a console using a game pad but holy shit

Halo 5 > everything.

If your on the west coast and want to party up for some multiplayer, add me, just mention from hard forum so I know.

Gamer tag: Arbi has a z06

God....the graphics on PVP....just look horrible. Is that even 720p?
I believe it's some ungodly weird resolution being upscaled. 1152x810, if I remember correctly. More pixels than 720p, but upscaling at ratio that isn't 1:1 is always going to have bad results.
I honestly can say this is the most fun I've had playing a competitive multiplayer console game in ages.

This coming from a long time CS:GO player and that's usually all I play. It's just so god damn fun and everything is fluid and great. I used to think COD had the best shooting mechanics/aiming feel you could get on a console using a game pad but holy shit

Halo 5 > everything.

If your on the west coast and want to party up for some multiplayer, add me, just mention from hard forum so I know.

Gamer tag: Arbi has a z06
Who is Arbi, what model year is the Z06, and do I get to take a ride in it if I become his friend? :cool:

I believe it's some ungodly weird resolution being upscaled. 1152x810, if I remember correctly. More pixels than 720p, but upscaling at ratio that isn't 1:1 is always going to have bad results.
Who is Arbi, what model year is the Z06, and do I get to take a ride in it if I become his friend? :cool:

Lmao,

I'm Arbi, my z06, was my 2nd one, it was a c5 z06 and I just sold it yesterday. Here it is:
DSC_9987.jpg~original

DSC_9975.jpg~original

So I guess I gotta change my gamer tag again, well, there goes another $10 to change it lol.

Well, I decided to grab it. Not a die hard Halo fan but I remember the Halo 3 SP being worth a play through and initial reviews seem to indicate a similar experience.

The multi-player looks fun but not sure how long I'll spend on it since I suck so bad at FPS games... Bunch of uber elite kids playing this game I'm betting...

The multi-player looks fun but not sure how long I'll spend on it since I suck so bad at FPS games... Bunch of uber elite kids playing this game I'm betting...

Hang in there, get the flow of the maps, get use to where everyone will be during the initial start of each round, before two long you should be in the first three places on your team.

I played Destiny PVP that way...when I first started, I was always in last or second to last. I learned the maps and the flow of the map, and before too long I am usually in the first three spots. Lately I have been having luck in 1st place alot.

This is the most fun I've had with halo multiplayer since halo 2. Warzone is amazing.

Back