Halo 5: Forge Requires 16GB Of RAM For 4K At 60FPS

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
343 Industries has revealed the requirements for Halo 5: Forge on PC, and it seems pretty demanding. You’ll also need Windows 10 Anniversary Edition in order to run the game.

Halo 5: Forge launches on September 8 and brings the full Forge map editor to PC. Alongside the game, 343 Industries is also releasing a Halo app that acts as a hub for all the Windows 10 PC games (Halo 5: Forge, Spartan Strike, Spartan Assault, Halo Wars, and Halo Wars 2). In addition, Halo 5: Guardians on Xbox One is getting a new DLC pack on September 8. Called Anvil's Legacy, it adds a new Arena map and a new Warzone map, as well as new weapons and weapon attachments.

For 4K? The Xbox One uses 8GB of RAM for less than 1080p so that's not much of a surprise. Besides, RAM's cheap these days.

Good. As long as it's optimized and not just wasted, great. I like it when games push hardware. Gives a reason to upgrade and turn up the detail. Rather than most console ports that will run on 4 year old hardware just fine.

I'm guessing most people with a 4K display probably have at least 16GB of memory in their systems. I can't even run the game because my card isn't new enough and have 16GB of Memory. :(

The more interesting part is that it appears this game is going to be DX12 only... The system specs require DX12 and that would be the only reason for requiring Windows 10 to run it. I'd be curious what's in the anniversary update that it actually requires that to play, versus just the release version of Windows 10.

The more interesting part is that it appears this game is going to be DX12 only... The system specs require DX12 and that would be the only reason for requiring Windows 10 to run it. I'd be curious what's in the anniversary update that it actually requires that to play, versus just the release version of Windows 10.

That's because the purpose of Halo is to push whatever is Microsoft's current focus. The "anniversary update” extends Microsoft's control of user's PCs, so Halo requires it.

That's because the purpose of Halo is to push whatever is Microsoft's current focus. The "anniversary update” extends Microsoft's control of user's PCs, so Halo requires it.

Nope, it is because of all the fixes to the Store and UWA, if that is where is it being released. Not really sure how you can, short of illogic, determine what you said as anything accurate.

lol, guess they dont want people to play it, they only care about forcing people to do their will.
Rampantly forcing unnecessary updates wont generate appeal.

RAM is cheap, and I think the number just seems high because few other applications require so much memory. Some things just benefit from keeping a lot of it in memory, textures and other graphics data in this case. Onward, progress.

If it were just wasting memory for no good reason, I'l happily criticize it. Graphics detail is a good reason IMO.

Nope, it is because of all the fixes to the Store and UWA, if that is where is it being released. Not really sure how you can, short of illogic, determine what you said as anything accurate.

So wait, it isn't pushing MS'es technical agenda... it's just there to require windows store and UWA. I'm not sure illogic is the correct word. It seems pretty spot on.

So wait, it isn't pushing MS'es technical agenda... it's just there to require windows store and UWA. I'm not sure illogic is the correct word. It seems pretty spot on.

So, did you intentionally misread what I said or did you not truly understand what I was getting at?

I bought 16gb for my Sandy Bridge 2600k system quite a few years ago. Nothing has ever maxed me out (except when I was playing with some VMs). I'm still just rocking 1080p though. Might start thinking of a system upgrade in a few years - so far, my Sandy has been able to keep up.

So, did you intentionally misread what I said or did you not truly understand what I was getting at?

Sorry, I'm not trying to be a tool, I really don't understand what you're getting at. You mentioned it is due to the windows store and UWA, which I believe are the things jfrefund was complaining about. If that's not it could you elaborate?

Sorry, I'm not trying to be a tool, I really don't understand what you're getting at. You mentioned it is due to the windows store and UWA, which I believe are the things jfrefund was complaining about. If that's not it could you elaborate?

No, the way he said it was he was making claims that Microsoft is trying to control our PC's. On the other hand, I feel that the AU is required because of the fixes incorporated into the Store and UWA. UWA had issues for the first couple of games that Microsoft is fixing hence, the requirement for the Anniversary Update. :D No problem on not being a tool, I sometimes do not understand where someone is coming from on the internet.

Seems logical and something they would do.

A map editor for an Xbox One game. And, what's this? An app to play the four other Halo games? Oh, never mind. It is not the FPS people would want, just two RTS and two top-down shooters. Feel free to eat all that cake, Windows 10 users.

No, the way he said it was he was making claims that Microsoft is trying to control our PC's. On the other hand, I feel that the AU is required because of the fixes incorporated into the Store and UWA. UWA had issues for the first couple of games that Microsoft is fixing hence, the requirement for the Anniversary Update. :D No problem on not being a tool, I sometimes do not understand where someone is coming from on the internet.
Well they ARE. Windows 10 has mandatory updates that you can't turn off or revert if any cause you problems. So you no longer control if your OS is altered, Microsoft does. That's a direct definition of them controlling your PC. Now if by "control your PC" you mean utilize it for some nefarious ends, then yeah, I don't think there's any evidence of that. Halo is just an incentive to get more people on the OS, but you're deluded if you think there hasn't been a loss of control by the end user in Windows 10.

It's pretty difficult to argue that Universal Windows Apps and the Windows Store are not designed to increase Microsoft's control over the platform. They represent a movement from a totally open platform to a OS-controlled platform like Android. The initial version of UWA required Microsoft authorize ALL apps and they only added side-loading support after everyone complained about it.

Almost tempted to sign up on gamespot to laugh at this idiot:
"
lunar1122 - 8 hours ago
so much ram required? Like i know ram is cheap, but still.. What kind of port is this? consoles have 8 max and that has to be divided up by the system and display. Gaming computers nowadays usually have 8 for system and 4 for graphics.. which makes it 12 GB's of total memory. Requirements asking for 12 and 16 GB's of just system is laughable optimization.
"

My laptop has 64 gigs, just sayin. Not only is RAM cheap, but desktops with 128 gigs will be common very soon. As long as the game, OS, drivers, etc can all do this and not let anybody's smoke out, bring it on. I openly welcome back the days of PC games pushing dramatically further than consoles, as opposed to PC gamers having 10x's the graphics capacity of a 5 year old system that was 2 years in development, therefore giving us a port thats designed for 7 year old hardware.

I've been running 32GB of ram on my main system for over half a decade at this point.
It is roughly the $120 point for a new DDR4 system for that amount, very cheap compared to the rest of the computer.

I fondly remember when Halo 2 came out as a Vista Only exclusive, and I'm probably going to pick this up as well.
Been a long time since video games really pushed System Ram, might as well be this one.

The new Deus Ex hovers around 6-9GB of memory, but it also has fairly long loading screens, ditto for Fallout 4.
Even if the game just buffers more maps in ram to reduce loading, that is a step in the right direction.

Back