Halo 4 - thoughts? Expectations?

stop!theradio

2[H]4U
I didn't see a thread for this in the console section so I figured I'd start one. I'm not deep into the Halo lore (books, or comics-wise), but I'm taking a shot at what that huge metal-planet thing is:

An adopted homeworld to a specific alien race of course - but not like a regular planet - an inverted planet. I'm guessing the inside of that sphere is relatively hollow, pretty much as described in the hollow Earth theory. That's my guess. Feel free to let me know if it's already explained somewhere, and if so, feel free to tell me how utterly wrong I am. :p

In any case, I'm deeply into the Halo story as portrayed in the video games, and can't wait for Halo 4. I was able to beat Halo 3 before my last Xbox died, but I'd totally take another shot at things for Halo 4 (unless Halo 4 came out for PC, of course). I never felt that it should have ended where it did or anything - I'm totally up for a new trilogy. So...what are your thoughts, expectations or theories?

I'm guessing something to do with the Forerunners, maybe the last survivors or the last refuge were they all died out from the flood? And why have you not played Reach? Its better then Halo 3 was in many ways.

Either way, if 343 fucks this up, I am SO majorly going to be pissed. I'm going to miss Bungie. Bungie and Halo is what the Force is to Star Wars, you just can't have one without the other

I am huge into Halo, read all the books, but I need to refresh on them. I am definitely looking forward to continuing the story, but I'm worried that because Bungie is no longer making it, it might not be as epic.

I'm guessing something to do with the Forerunners, maybe the last survivors or the last refuge were they all died out from the flood? And why have you not played Reach? Its better then Halo 3 was in many ways.

Either way, if 343 fucks this up, I am SO majorly going to be pissed. I'm going to miss Bungie. Bungie and Halo is what the Force is to Star Wars, you just can't have one without the other

Maybe it'll be a breath of fresh air for the series, with 343 developing and all. Who knows *shrugs*

I haven't played Reach because my 6th Xbox 360 died on me in 2009 and I gave up after that :p I'm totally going to get one of the new "slim" models, probably the day the game launches.

I am huge into Halo, read all the books, but I need to refresh on them. I am definitely looking forward to continuing the story, but I'm worried that because Bungie is no longer making it, it might not be as epic.

Yeah, I'm hoping it'll give the game/series a "new" fresh take on things. Although - I can't remember where (probably IGN or something), but I thought I read that 343 mostly consists of people from Bungie who were integral to Halo. Can anyone confirm?

Maybe it'll be a breath of fresh air for the series, with 343 developing and all. Who knows *shrugs*

I haven't played Reach because my 6th Xbox 360 died on me in 2009 and I gave up after that :p I'm totally going to get one of the new "slim" models, probably the day the game launches.

Yeah, I'm hoping it'll give the game/series a "new" fresh take on things. Although - I can't remember where (probably IGN or something), but I thought I read that 343 mostly consists of people from Bungie who were integral to Halo. Can anyone confirm?
Haha...you sound like me...I think I was on my 6th...maybe it was the 5th...I may be picking up a 360 for this game though. :confused:

With what's his name, former project lead/director at Bungie? Frank O'Conner? Heading up 343 Industries, I'm very hopeful. Halo 2 and 3 were both big let-downs for me. CE and Reach were fantastic, and ODST was surprisingly good.

I'm hoping 4 really kicks it off right.

So they also helped make Halo Legends? I might have to get a 360 so I can play the new Halo trilogy >.<

I'm hoping the new trilogy is about a whole new alien race. New aliens, new story.

I'm guessing Forerunners as well. I'm sick of the Flood though... please do not bring them back..

Hopefully 343 gets their **** straight. Bungie has gone downhill after H2 and majorly downhill with H3 which I think was the biggest failure in Halo history. The game has changed so much which has hurt the hardcore group of competitive Halo players, not that change is bad (MW could use change) but when you fundamentally change the game by going from hitscan H2 to the BR spread of H3 to the bloom of HR you piss off some people. I think Bungie was thinking but the "good idea fairy" came along and they tried to hard to top H:CE when the reason many love Halo:CE over say HR is its simplicity.

1. Don't "fix" what already worked
2. No Flood
3. No mandatory driving/flying stage. Even if walking is 5X harder.

And I'm good.

I have zero expectations.

Developers make great games, no IPs. Bungie is the reason Halo was good. 343 are just some clowns with a strong brand to exploit. It's not impossible that they'd release something worthwhile, but how many studios have AAA freshman efforts, especially studios that are straight mercenary operations only brought together to Kotick an IP?

I really don't have any expectations. Depending on if it turns out good I'll buy it or not. I've got my fair share of Halo but we'll see what happens.

They better change up the bulk of the story, gameplay, etc. if it's going to be any good though.

I was done with Halo and I was okay with that. It's kind of like an old girlfriend calling you to screw around. Sounds kind of exciting but been there, done that. I guess I expect it to be a lot like all the other Halo games I've already played.

Hopefully 343 gets their **** straight. Bungie has gone downhill after H2 and majorly downhill with H3 which I think was the biggest failure in Halo history. The game has changed so much which has hurt the hardcore group of competitive Halo players, not that change is bad (MW could use change) but when you fundamentally change the game by going from hitscan H2 to the BR spread of H3 to the bloom of HR you piss off some people. I think Bungie was thinking but the "good idea fairy" came along and they tried to hard to top H:CE when the reason many love Halo:CE over say HR is its simplicity.

Which is why Halo 3 set records for sales that only MW2 could beat (and MW2 was a multiplatform title, Halo 3 was single platform.)

Oh, and reach beat out 3 for sales...IMO, 3 was the best, unless you add Halo CE in, then it wins for the multiplayer.

1. Don't "fix" what already worked
2. No Flood
3. No mandatory driving/flying stage. Even if walking is 5X harder.

And I'm good.

I agree with 1 and 2, but I have no problem with driving/flying stages. Also, like Maximus825 said, I hope there's some new alien enemies. The way Halo 3 ends it seems like peace was, or could be made between at least the humans and the Elites. Some different aliens could make the new Halo games a lot fresher.

I think the halo series is the only series that I enjoyed the flying/driving stuff on.always felt more involved. You could choose whether you wanted to be the driver, the gunner or the dude in the passenger seat. Loved it. Way better than anything else IMO.

am I the only one that loved the flood? I remember in the very first halo the most intense parts of the game were when the flood were first introduced and the music changed. Really fun.

]|[ Mar']['in ]|[;1037437763 said:
am I the only one that loved the flood? I remember in the very first halo the most intense parts of the game were when the flood were first introduced and the music changed. Really fun.

Fuck the fucking flood fuckers.

I hate the flood *only* because of how much [...]I had to do to beat Halo PC's Library level on legendary, lol.... and I only had a touchpad :p (but a LOT of forced idle time over a summer)

I agree with 1 and 2, but I have no problem with driving/flying stages. Also, like Maximus825 said, I hope there's some new alien enemies. The way Halo 3 ends it seems like peace was, or could be made between at least the humans and the Elites. Some different aliens could make the new Halo games a lot fresher.

The brutes are still pissed. Maybe it will encompass some of that. Or helping to liberate some of the species that were subjugated by the portion of the covenant that doesn't want peace.

I'll play it regardless.

They were cool at first but after a while and with the climax of there existence in Halo 3 , its time to put them to rest. Let them live on if need be in the books , as for the games lets try something a little more creative.

I can't wait to see what they will do in Halo 4. But I am worried its not the original team handling it , I know they still have Frank as the project lead but part of what made Bungie so great was the total package.

I hope that 343 takes its sweet time with Halo 4 , do it right .. it must have the same polish we are all use to bottom line. Remaking a halo game for the HD era is one thing , but continuing the franchise when it supposedly concluded in the first place is a whole other ordeal. I mean I know that MS will hire the writers who do the book series but it has to not only have a great story but also a very strong MP component. Halo games are cherished for there longevity in MP as well.

I just wish it wasn't mandatory, I would rather have the choice to walk, fight the vehicles on foot, and grind through it, difficulty be damned. I enjoy the challenge, and don't like the change of pace, I want to keep FPSing, not drive or flight sim. Just my $.02

Masochistic, much?

Fuck the fucking flood fuckers.

This, in spades.

Anyhoo, I think it's great that the "cliffhanger" ending you earn in H3 on legendary is being continued, but the burning question is can the noobs (343) hang with Bungie in terms of final quality?

I will reserve all judgements until I get enough reviews and word of mouth to determine if it's worth a buy or not, but it is intriguing me.

Last edited:
This would make a top notch launch game for the next Xbox. I just don't want to wait too long.

In my opinion the flood is okay in small doses. I actually liked when they first showed up in the first Halo, because in many ways the game became different, due to the change of enemy AI.

its probaly a Dyson sphere a shell built around the star about 1 earth orbit in circumfence. A sinilar concept to theringworld that halo takes place on .I loved the rinworld series of books .by Niven and pournelle.

I actually would like this to be a launch title of Xbox 720, Xbox 3 or whatever the hell it ends up being, the 360 is pretty much maxed out capability wise. Halo 4, done right would be what Halo 1 did to Xbox, farking make helluva sales.

There hasn't been a decent Halo since the first one, and with Bungie not making this, I wouldn't predict a miracle here.

Then why the hell would you even care to comment? Who's trolling now?

I don't agree with Fail's post in this thread (as is the case in most every other thread as well, we often bump heads :D ), but to be fair I did request "thoughts? Expectations?" in the thread title. In essence - his post, whether it be a troll or not (I don't think it is), is nothing more than his opinion and happens to be completely on topic as well.

with Bungie not making this, I wouldn't predict a miracle here.
Fail obviously doesn't expect much from this game - and there's nothing wrong, bait-like or off-topic about that.

I don't agree with Fail's post in this thread (as is the case in most every other thread as well, we often bump heads :D ), but to be fair I did request "thoughts? Expectations?" in the thread title. In essence - his post, whether it be a troll or not (I don't think it is), is nothing more than his opinion and happens to be completely on topic as well.

Fail obviously doesn't expect much from this game - and there's nothing wrong, bait-like or off-topic about that.

Thank you, and right on

There hasn't been a decent Halo since the first one

Halo 1 = decent, sequels = not as decent as the original too much of a feeling of been there, done that.

and with Bungie not making this, I wouldn't predict a miracle here.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this one out, Bungie made the original and definitely could top it if they tried harder, but without Bungie, I wouldn't hold my breath.

feels like Infinity Ward --------> Treyarch
then Bethseda ----------> Obsidian Software

and so on and so forth.

Key point is, there's a track record of mediocrity between big studios that have their major franchises split towards an inferior developer.

No real hidden meanings here, I just made everything plain, if stop!theradio can agree that my post is valid, I'm not sure why anybody else would have a problem with it, since he's the thread starter.

Thank you, and right on

No real hidden meanings here, I just made everything plain, if stop!theradio can agree that my post is valid, I'm not sure why anybody else would have a problem with it, since he's the thread starter.

You'll only get a rise out of him because you're ragging on his beloved 360 and his games (lol....).

But I agree with you.

Thank you, and right on

No problemo. I'm really not sure why freezebyte thought your post was some type of bait...maybe I missed an argument or two you guys had in some other thread and he just doesn't like you? lol

You'll only get a rise out of him because you're ragging on his beloved 360 and his games (lol....).

But I agree with you.

Wait, who? Me or freezebyte? I don't even have a 360 :p While I did have a few over the years since launch, the rrod thing has caused me to never look back - and I've always gamed 'mainly' on PC, either way. Going to be upgrading from my Palit GTX280 soon, as well. Of course I do love the Halo series - but obviously I'm not offended when someone else dislikes it. Not that I have a problem with overprotective Halo megafans (to each their own, really), but I'm definitely not one - I haven't even played Reach or ODST. I suppose if I had a 360 when they came out then I would've probably gotten those games...*shrugs* It's very possible, however, that I'd get a 360 for Halo 4 sometime after it's on the market; it's gonna continue the story of Master Chief, one of the few characters I am interested in experiencing the Halo universe as. The newer 360's look decent and it's been long enough to where I'd feel comfortable buying one again...so we'll see.

Last edited:
Heh it wasn't you :p. I do have both the falcon 360 and the new 360.. but I don't play on it very often, if at all. Halo just wasn't my cup of tea I guess.

I had a feeling you weren't referring to me, just wanted to make sure lol. I enjoyed Halo on Xbox McFatfat a lot...and even though the multiplayer was split screen, I had awesome times with my brothers and our friends with it. Epic times, in fact :p halo 2 was pretty "meh" IMO. It came with a free live trial but I didn't use it. Split screen was still good though. Halo 3 I actually loved. The campaign left me satisfied but what really shined to me was the online features. Loved forge, and i loved recording gameplay. I spent a ridiculous amount of time with my buddy playing split screen deathmatches against people over Live. The online features weren't anything groundbreaking...but man was it fun to have a buddy over for online matches. Its one thing to talk to a friend via headset, but to create strategies and communicate in person is sweet. Such a small feature added tons of depth to the game and made the purchase completely worthwhile.

If Halo 4 is going to uncover more about the Forerunner then I'd kinda expect the Flood to play a rather large part in the game. I mean, don't they already have a pretty big role in the whole Forerunner back-story?

Now, If there's an enemy that I don't want to see again then it would have to be those damn covenant bug-creatures from the last 3 games. I hate those things.

halo 2 was pretty "meh" IMO.

You'll probably get a lot of hate for saying that, but I agree with you; Halo 2 was also my least favorite out of the whole series. I still thought it was a good game on its own, but compared to the rest of the Halo games (minus Halo Wars and ODST, both which I've not played yet), it just felt unpolished and rushed, and unlike its predecessor I think it hasn't aged very well.

Back