Halo 4 review

I thought this was a Halo 4 thread.

GTFO.jpg

Your just rusty. It's smooth as the others. Shooters with a controller is a finess thing not the jerk and shoot fest of a keyboard and mouse.

Roger. I'll just have to keep on knocking this rust off one day at a time until I'm back in shape.

It's about finess becuase there is a serious lack of precision. On a mouse you can go faster because it's more precise and more controlled.

Agreed.

i personally hate playing fps games on a controller.

Its like playing a 3d platform game using a steering wheel. doable but not practical

For everyone having problems aiming, you are probably making the same mistake I was--zooming. There is literally no point to zooming or sighting 95% of the time. In other console shooters, especially CoD, you need to iron sight for accuracy purposes. You don't need to do that in Halo. In fact, it's almost entirely a negative unless you are very, very far away, in my recent experience.

Once I stopped scoping with the battle rifle and DMR, I was playing so much better. Just point the reticule vaguely toward their face area and commence to pwn.

Once I stopped scoping with the battle rifle and DMR, I was playing so much better. Just point the reticule vaguely toward their face area and commence to pwn.

Interesting, I will have to give that a try. Does that apply to campaign as well?

I've only played about an hour of the campaign so far, and I know it's been about 6 months since I played through ODST again, but I was getting my ass kicked on Heroic. I know there are much more important things in life that I should focus on being successful at, but I was able to get through most of Reach on Legendary on my own. Halo 4, why you so hard?

I must be doing it wrong.

Interesting, I will have to give that a try. Does that apply to campaign as well?

I've only played about an hour of the campaign so far, and I know it's been about 6 months since I played through ODST again, but I was getting my ass kicked on Heroic. I know there are much more important things in life that I should focus on being successful at, but I was able to get through most of Reach on Legendary on my own. Halo 4, why you so hard?

I actually think Halo 4 is just harder than other Halo games. I said it in a previous post, but I've never had a problem with any difficulty below Legendary in a Halo game before. In Halo 4, I've died way more than I ever expected on Heroic, and I'm barely 2 missions into the campaign. The AI does about the same stuff it always has, but it feels like you don't have as much health as before or something. One thing I did notice about the AI though, is that they LOVE to shoot charged plasma pistol shots at you when you're in a vehicle since it now disables it for a moment....and they are deadly accurate with the shots lol.

I think it applies to the whole game. I think the auto aiming and recoil in this game actually make scoping a detriment unless you are very far away or have a weapon that is an instant kill headshot (and even then, you don't have to be super accurate).

If you play CoD, you have to sight to control your recoil and weapon spray. I really don't think there are equivalent mechanics in Halo 4. It was night and day when I realized what I was doing wrong. Went from a negative K/D to a solidly positive K/D instantly. Just treat the weapons that are mid range as only needing to be zoomed at long range, and you'll see how much more accurate you are.

Like others said, don't try to play this like a PC shooter. It is impossible to be that accurate with the sticks. You need to use the auto aim to your advantage, and no-scoping is what works for that. Aiming in the general upper torso usually results in a headshot kill.

Ironic considering it was originally developed for the PC (Mac, actually).

Looks pretty much like all the other Halo games to me.

That version was nothing like what Xbox got thank god have you even seen it? And it was gonna be a RTS. So tired of people crying about no halo on PC. I game on PC all the time and I did not care for halo 1 or 2 on PC and I'm not the only one maybe that's why they never fixed 2 and its vista only crap. They didn't even look better on PC,yes I own both on PC and Xbox. Halo 4 is fun looks great best in series so far. Next halo will be on a new console so this was a great send off for halo on the 360.

That version was nothing like what Xbox got thank god have you even seen it? And it was gonna be a RTS. So tired of people crying about no halo on PC. I game on PC all the time and I did not care for halo 1 or 2 on PC and I'm not the only one maybe that's why they never fixed 2 and its vista only crap. They didn't even look better on PC,yes I own both on PC and Xbox. Halo 4 is fun looks great best in series so far. Next halo will be on a new console so this was a great send off for halo on the 360.

You are mistaken. Halo had much higher resolution and quality textures than the original game did on the XBOX. Halo 2 on the other hand was a straight port and didn't offer any visual enhancements.

I grabbed most of the series for the XBOX 360 the other day. I'm going through Halo Anniversary right now. As far as console shooters go, the controls are as good as I think you'll find. There wasn't as much of a learning curve as I thought there would be. But I haven't played a console shooter in years so this was a new experience. Would I prefer a mouse and keyboard? You bet. But with a little practice the controller is serviceable.

But with a little practice the controller is serviceable.

I bought the FPS Freek analog stick extensions after last Christmas, and really prefer them to the standard sticks. Much finer control for both FPS and racing. Still not as good as mouse and keyboard, but still...

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You are mistaken. Halo had much higher resolution and quality textures than the original game did on the XBOX. Halo 2 on the other hand was a straight port and didn't offer any visual enhancements.

I grabbed most of the series for the XBOX 360 the other day. I'm going through Halo Anniversary right now. As far as console shooters go, the controls are as good as I think you'll find. There wasn't as much of a learning curve as I thought there would be. But I haven't played a console shooter in years so this was a new experience. Would I prefer a mouse and keyboard? You bet. But with a little practice the controller is serviceable.

Halo 1 was 1024*768 and AA didn't work on it. it wasn't much better. Halo anniversary on the other hand is much better looking made me enjoy the first even more. Keyboard/ mouse vs. Controller it's the player. I'm good at LFD 2 and cod with keyboard and mouse yet my son using a 360 controller on his PC can still beat my ass. Yet in ut3 and twitch games the key/mouse combo is to much for him and the controller.

I bought the FPS Freek analog stick extensions after last Christmas, and really prefer them to the standard sticks. Much finer control for both FPS and racing. Still not as good as mouse and keyboard, but still...

Are those really worth it ,they don't feel awkward?

He's talking about a version that never got released.

The original Halo was to be a Mac and PC game before microsoft took them on board to make it exclusive.

It actually looked better imo, the game originally had a lot more "open" area's compared to the halo game that was released on consoles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KqFJ5pPu2g

Seriously the gripes about console controls for a console FPS are getting old. Its fine if you don't like it but you don't have to constantly state that in every thread involving a console exclusive fps game. Also "you" being anyone that keeps doing so , not picking on anyone individually. Just kinda sick of reading the same gripes for every console FPS game.

In fact if its such a problem then I recommend the Xim Edge. It does an excellent job of converting controller input to K/M. People love it and I've heard nothing but praise.

Seriously the gripes about console controls for a console FPS are getting old. Its fine if you don't like it but you don't have to constantly state that in every thread involving a console exclusive fps game. Also "you" being anyone that keeps doing so , not picking on anyone individually. Just kinda sick of reading the same gripes for every console FPS game.

In fact if its such a problem then I recommend the Xim Edge. It does an excellent job of converting controller input to K/M. People love it and I've heard nothing but praise.

Yeah it can get a bit old. Halo makes it as easy as possible to play an FPS with a controller by making the controls as responsive and intuitive as possible.

I believe it also had some lighting that wasnt in the original xbox halo 1 versijon but they added to it for the 2nd one.

Ive been wandering about them.. ill probably pick some up.

Haha, I think its more about how bad we are with a controller compared to a PC. I do quite well with PC FPS and I am just awful with a console, it can be frustrating.

Fun game though, started co op with a friend last night. Pretty good story as well.

Does anyone else feel that this halo is sluggish? I feel like im moving in slow mo and that aiming takes forever. Plus I really dislike the weapons. You have some cool ones but the battle rifle blow's. I like the DMR but am not understanding how I can see people raddle it off like its a automatic. I try my hardest to shoot fast with it but there always seems to be a delay. Owell guess this halo is not for me back to COD.

Picked it up yesterday, but unfortunately I haven't had a chance to even play it, with all the stuff going on this weekend. Anyway, I'll start playing the single player campaign tomorrow.

Does anyone else feel that this halo is sluggish? I feel like im moving in slow mo and that aiming takes forever. Plus I really dislike the weapons. You have some cool ones but the battle rifle blow's. I like the DMR but am not understanding how I can see people raddle it off like its a automatic. I try my hardest to shoot fast with it but there always seems to be a delay. Owell guess this halo is not for me back to COD.

It's just you. It's as fast as any of the other games and maybe faster. I mean it would be faster with a mouse and keyboard but as far as console FPS games go it's pretty quick. The DMR can be fired pretty fast like any other semi-automatic. I hated the battle rifle until I got used to it. Basically it's almost like a hybrid sniper rifle and assault rifle. In military terms it's really a designated marksman rifle. Depending on what my options are at the time I use the battle rifle more like a sniper rifle. But I can also use it like the regular assault rifle if need be.

Played it quite a bit yesterday doing co-op with my girlfriend. So far I'm really enjoying it.

I think its one of the best, Halo games yet and I havent played much of it, or multiplayer yet.

I had one instance where the game came to a grinding halt, and that was during the giant vehicle level. Was going down the stairs when the game slowed to maybe 1-2 fps for about 5 seconds. Thought the game had crashed but it continued on just fine after that.

Finished the game over the weekend and I was very satisfied with the campaign. I'll probably try out multiplayer but the single player alone was worth the purchase price.

I had one instance where the game came to a grinding halt, and that was during the giant vehicle level. Was going down the stairs when the game slowed to maybe 1-2 fps for about 5 seconds. Thought the game had crashed but it continued on just fine after that.

Finished the game over the weekend and I was very satisfied with the campaign. I'll probably try out multiplayer but the single player alone was worth the purchase price.

I haven't touched the multiplayer but in the single player I found that the game actually performed better than Halo 3 did. I saw more slow downs with that game than this one despite the vast difference in graphics. I had zero problems with the Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary game which has some elements which look better than those in Halo 3. (Due to being newer.)

I haven't touched the multiplayer but in the single player I found that the game actually performed better than Halo 3 did. I saw more slow downs with that game than this one despite the vast difference in graphics. I had zero problems with the Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary game which has some elements which look better than those in Halo 3. (Due to being newer.)

Didn't really mean to imply it was a trend or anything, it was just surprising to see the game freeze like that. The rest of the game went fine and was supremely enjoyable :D

Didn't really mean to imply it was a trend or anything, it was just surprising to see the game freeze like that. The rest of the game went fine and was supremely enjoyable :D

I've played thru the game 3 times and haven't seen that. I have seen that before in other games try clearing the system cache and restart the 360. Stuff like hat happens more frequently if you haven't done that in a while especially after the recent dash update.

Red boxed it and finished the campaign in a day on heroic. Seemed pretty short and definitely the easiest halo i have played. While not the best looking console game the lighting and sound has improved dramatically though there is always a trade off on consoles. This time there is pretty much zero texture filtering and anything at a slight angle completely blurs the texture LINK.

I hate that they got rid of health packs and when your shield is down there is absolutely no way to tell how much health you have left. The 2 new enemies aren't that fun to fight, the knights are fine but the tron dogs just get annoying as hell and are almost worst then the flood by the end. The open areas simply weren't as spectacular as in past games and some of them seemed just like a waste of time because they were used poorly. I don't know why they decided to add 2 escape sequences to the game instead of using that time to make a proper level or let me at least dogfight with the ship. The campaign is pretty forgettable to be honest if i had to rank the single player i would put it halo 1>halo reach>halo 3>halo 4>halo odst>halo 2. I wasn't able to test the mulitplayer but i saw that you have load out like COD now and you have to unlock weapons and items for them... thats enough to erase any interest for multiplayer for me.

As far as difficulty, i feel like this one is a bit easier except that they made the shield delay a little longer, and they made headshots (by the AI) really powerful. its easier to dance around elites in this game, but i feel like i'm getting insta-gibbed a lot more on my solo legendary campaign than in previous games.

as far as the load out system, i guess i can see why you don't like it: because you heard COD and you knee-jerked to a stupid response so you don't want to play. i actually think its nice because you can customize the game to your play style. the weapons are pretty straight forward, but the extra options like unlimited sprint, extra starting ammo, bigger motion sensor range, etc make the game play differently, without giving anyone a huge advantage.

i think that replacing preset weapon spawn locations with drops through the game changes the game and makes it less of a mad dash/camp weapons mentality in the multiplayer and rewards killing and completing objectives.

i guess i can see why you don't like it: because you heard COD and you knee-jerked to a stupid response so you don't want to play. i actually think its nice because you can customize the game to your play style. the weapons are pretty straight forward, but the extra options like unlimited sprint, extra starting ammo, bigger motion sensor range, etc make the game play differently, without giving anyone a huge advantage.
Halo is a arena shooter none of the load out crap should be in the game imo. Loadouts should be determined by the server and map like in reach. The fact you have to unlock your equipment is what really kills it for me though.

I've played thru the game 3 times and haven't seen that. I have seen that before in other games try clearing the system cache and restart the 360. Stuff like hat happens more frequently if you haven't done that in a while especially after the recent dash update.

Haven't powered up the 360 in a few months so I guess that's probably what caused it then. It really was strange since the rest of the game was running perfectly fine.

Halo is a arena shooter none of the load out crap should be in the game imo. Loadouts should be determined by the server and map like in reach. The fact you have to unlock your equipment is what really kills it for me though.

unlocking equipment does suck, i'll give you that. But i think its also a necessity with drop-in/drop-out matchmaking. dominating an arena shooter involves timing respawning weapons and such.

i've only messed around on dominion a couple times, but not with the loadouts. i think that with slayer, maybe they should disable loadouts, but playing game modes like dominion, CTF and king of the hill its nice to have choices like extra ammo (for people who play more conservative and don't die as much) faster shields (for people like me that go through a lot of shields) etc...

i'm just saying, give it a shot: 343 seems to have really put a lot of effort into this game, i'm liking it a lot so far. i have it ranked under only Reach on my list of favorites.

Its actually faster then reach and arguable about halo 3. When me and my buddies played alot of quake 1-3 and Unreal tournament series on pcand then go back to Halo, it always feels "slow". The controls are crisp and very responsive. Which being an arena shooter, they suppose to be. Though they can feel quite different from game to game in same series. Ex: reach to halo 3. Maybe something like what me and my friends experience is similar to your experience from CoD to halo?

Just finished the single player campaign a couple hours ago. Fantastic game.

Finally started getting into the campaign since I've been waiting for a friend to get some free time. We started straight into Legendary, and it was a blast. A bit frustrating at times, but we were both generally just laughing at all of our ridiculous deaths. Looking forward to continuing in the next few days.

I was able to spend a little time playing the game tonight, and made it to the third or fourth level. So far I'm really liking it, and haven't had any issues with the framerate, or anything of that nature. My only complaint is the voices of the Covenant. It's just not the same... :(

Back