Halo 4 review

Looks great. Too bad that damn Library level from the original Halo ruined the series for me.

I still seriously wish they would bring it to the PC. Not gonna buy a 360.

It would be like bringing Mario or Zelda to the PC , some games are meant to remain on consoles. They already tried bringing Halo to the PC anyway , twice .. and hardly anyone was interested.

Halo should REMAIN a console , Xbox exclusive.

Last edited:
My 2 cents. When Halo was available in stores and set up on the original Xbox, I played it, and while sucking hard at the console controller, the controls were much better than other (albeit limited experience from me) FPS's at the time. I also had the feeling that compared to PC FPS games, it would fail. The only thing that had been comparable up to that point--IMHO--was GoldenEye, but even then, there was a lack of finesse in the controls--again, PC-only player at that point.

It would be like bringing Mario or Zelda to the PC , some games are meant to remain on consoles. They already tried bringing Halo to the PC anyway , twice .. and hardly anyone was interested.

What? Halo CE was very popular on PC, Halo 2 was a botched port.

Expect universal praise and the term "for all its faults" to be thrown around and whatever you do don't wait to play a demo. it's a waste of time. There is no Man Behind the Curtain.

Looks great. Too bad that damn Library level from the original Halo ruined the series for me.

What what what!?!?! Love that level and probably my favorite level from CE. Broke so many balls at the time it wasn't even funny.

Mixed feelings on this since it's the first non-Bungie Halo so I'm taking a wait and see stance. If my friend barometer goes well I'll pick it up later for cheaper. Hope they continue on the same path of highly polished gameplay that Bungie set out. Didn't they retain the person that wrote some of the story from the first 3?

Oh and haters gonna hate, so if you're not interested in discussing the game and just want to bash it (looking at you johnny) please go make a flame thread to complain about how stupid and generic and awful and overhyped and non-pc game Halo is somewhere else. Some of us would like to have a discussion about the game.

What? Halo CE was very popular on PC, Halo 2 was a botched port.

exactly! Halo 2 was utter trash, and if anyone remembers you had to have vista to play it. AND to the original poster, do you remember that Halo was originally a mac/pc title....

Unfortunately MS is too stupid to realise if they truly made halo for pc and 360 (simultaneously...not a 3 year later pc release) they would make even more bank. BUT what do I know.... can't do fps on a controller... trust me i tried had an original xbox just was never as good as i am with my mouse/nostromo

exactly! Halo 2 was utter trash, and if anyone remembers you had to have vista to play it. AND to the original poster, do you remember that Halo was originally a mac/pc title....

Unfortunately MS is too stupid to realise if they truly made halo for pc and 360 (simultaneously...not a 3 year later pc release) they would make even more bank. BUT what do I know.... can't do fps on a controller... trust me i tried had an original xbox just was never as good as i am with my mouse/nostromo

The Mac version is nothing close to what came out thank god. It was garbage. I don't want halo on PC ever again , console need their killer app. Never wanna see Mario or Zelda there either! Not every game needs to be cross platform! It looks great I just watched ign live stream of multiplayer they have balanced things very nicely and it looks great. This is halo's last ride on the 360 they have said the next one will be on the next system. God too many games to play right now. AC3,Halo 4 and the week after all the Wii U goodies. Love this time of year!

The Mac version is nothing close to what came out thank god. It was garbage. I don't want halo on PC ever again , console need their killer app. Never wanna see Mario or Zelda there either! Not every game needs to be cross platform! It looks great I just watched ign live stream of multiplayer they have balanced things very nicely and it looks great. This is halo's last ride on the 360 they have said the next one will be on the next system. God too many games to play right now. AC3,Halo 4 and the week after all the Wii U goodies. Love this time of year!

It's probably a dream but I wish there was just one console and we could play all the games I want on that one. I enjoy Mario/Zelda just as much as my Uncharted and Halo games. I just wish I didn't have to have 3 systems to play them all. Of course I usually wait till one or two of them drop in price.

It's probably a dream but I wish there was just one console and we could play all the games I want on that one. I enjoy Mario/Zelda just as much as my Uncharted and Halo games. I just wish I didn't have to have 3 systems to play them all. Of course I usually wait till one or two of them drop in price.

Guess I'm used to it. Been this way since the beginning had multiple consoles as a kid in the 80's and the early PC days mixed in. Don't see it changing , it would be like having only one car company.

Well if games were cross platform, then we could all play the same stuff without having to own every system.

What's the problem with having Mario and Zelda games on the PC anyway?

Guess I'm used to it. Been this way since the beginning had multiple consoles as a kid in the 80's and the early PC days mixed in. Don't see it changing , it would be like having only one car company.

Well if you told me 20 yrs ago that Sonic would be on Nintendo systems, I would have called you crazy and a blasphemer. :D

Well if you told me 20 yrs ago that Sonic would be on Nintendo systems, I would have called you crazy and a blasphemer. :D

That is because of poor management. The Dreamcast was a great console still have and use my launch day unit. Can't say the same for either current console have replaced them both due to failures. My launch Wii still works perfect too!

I know Halo turned out differently than what it was originally on the Mac, I remember seeing a video for it before microsoft got ahold of Bungie. What Halo became wasn't that bad. My point went along with though, it's Microsoft, had they released them at the same time or at least within a few days of each other it would have been pretty amazing. They had GFWL and xbox Live, would have been easy money had both sides been able to play each other.. let alone the single player on true PC effort would have been amazing as well. For me I can't justify spending 300-400 dollars back then for a 360 for just a couple games.. when most multiplatform games I'd rather take the PC version for it's beneifts, mods, level editors, controls, etc.. I know it won't happen but could you imagine if MS did put a real effort into both platforms.. omg...

Almost tempted to buy a refurbished 360 for this one. I find myself playing most of my PC games on my TV with a 360 controller these days anyway.

Damnit, I have nerve problems with my right hand and find it difficult to use a mouse, let alone an Xbox controller. If only I had a way to play it with a very weak hand, I'd be all over this :(

·PitBuLL·;1039286674 said:
Almost tempted to buy a refurbished 360 for this one. I find myself playing most of my PC games on my TV with a 360 controller these days anyway.

keep an eye out for used ones, I got a slim for $70 used. Few small scuffs but works just great, was a nice way to replace my god awful noisy launch console lol

The original Halo concept was basically a sci-fi themed Battlefield 1942, before Battlefield existed. I fail to see how it would have been bad. In fact, the E3 trailer was amazing. It was ahead of its time. And then MS stepped in.

I've always thought HALO was okay. It certainly never blew me away, though this review makes me want to play the 4th one.

Alot of the the people i talk to think the library board is actually quite fun. A pain on legendary but normal and heroic, just fun mass killing!

I soo would love that. To go from playing Smashing bricks in Mario, to blowing hovercars up in Wipeout, and then blowing everything and everyone up in halo...

to all thats buying the game, dont forget the game requires 8gb free on hard drive.

Pre-release Halo 4 reviews are overly positive? Color me shocked, shocked, I say!

The first Halo was great on the PC. It had better graphics and worked great on the mouse and keyboard. The second one was an especially lazy console port and shouldn't have been done at all. So it can be done right and there is no reason not to in my opinion. But whatever.

The first one bitched about the levels being too large? Wut?

And then he takes to facebook to defend himself against everyone explaining how dumb he sounds complaining about Halo not having "iron sights," "scripted gameplay," and the smaller environments, which he claims "artificially lengthen the game."

But Rage got a 9.5

:confused:

even funnier about hte first one, was saying halo 4 didnt do enough changes from last game to now and they gave CoD:MW 3 9.5 or higher.. Which has very little change.

I dont get the thing about iron sights. Iron sights seem to work with BF3 and CoD type games, but not for halo. It just doesnt fit halos SOP. It would i think, slow down halos gameplay. I think making smaller levels and scipted gameplay would change halos campaign gameplay. Part of the enjoyment of Halo's campaign is just how different each play through is due to how the enemies spawn, act, and react to you. Something that Cod lacks.. Im not trying to bash CoD here. For its gametype, CoD is good, but halo is quite a different beast then CoD.

"but I'm just not a fan of many of the core mechanics and base design principles" quote from Brandon Justice ,Reviewer from the egmnow. . That Core mechanics and base design principles is what fundamentally seperates halo from BF3/CoD.

Last edited:
Looks fantastic. I really hated how the Covenant was fleshed out as a race. They were quite boring and really did not seem all that sinister or interesting. This new direction has renewed my interest in the series. The heart of the story was always with the Rings and the creators of that technology, not the human/covenant war IMO.

Can't wait to co op campaign with the same friend that I've played all the other ones with!

And then he takes to facebook to defend himself against everyone explaining how dumb he sounds complaining about Halo not having "iron sights," "scripted gameplay," and the smaller environments, which he claims "artificially lengthen the game."

But Rage got a 9.5

:confused:

I don't mind scripted game play when it's executed well and only if it's used to convey story. The Mass Effect games all have tons of scripted cut scenes. Probably more than in any other game there is. Though they are interactive and allow for variations which make them more interesting. They are also not employed at the expense of gameplay. They help tell the story. Games that aren't focused on the story with less linear levels shouldn't use them as often if ever. The only good thing about CoD's use of them is that they are well executed technically and the games do a fairly good job of covering the tricks used to employ such things successfully. You see the same things done in the Medal of Honor games but badly. It's really not good. And given that they all have a Michael Bay type feel in CoD and MoH games doesn't help either.

When used to excess on levels which are entirely too linear, the game's replay value is diminished to nothing. It makes the experiences memorable once at best and annoying at worst. Linear levels reduce the variations possible when you play the game. Who wants to play a game that's the same damn thing every time you run it? I don't. This is why I've NEVER played any of the CoD / BF games SP modes to completion more than once or twice. Ever.

As for iron sights I can see why 343 didn't employ them. It would change how Halo feels. The hardcore Halo fans who have never had to do that would hate it. It can slow the game play down and slow tactical game play is NOT what the Halo games are known for. Successful games are often that way because they have a formula that works. Change the formula and you will probably suffer for it. It's only time to change the formula when it doesn't work. And even then you have to be careful what you change or you will kill the franchise. Possibly to the point where you can't recover. Street Fighter 3D, Mortal Kombat games after MK3, 3D Megaman, etc. are all examples of changing a formula to the point where your hurting the game and not helping it.

Halo 4 seems to shake things up based on what I've seen, but not so much as to take away what people like about it. But rather add some soul to it. Something which is almost never a bad thing if you can pull it off.

keep an eye out for used ones, I got a slim for $70 used. Few small scuffs but works just great, was a nice way to replace my god awful noisy launch console lol

I've been bad. I went out to GameStop and picked up a used 360 and Halo 3, ODST, and Reach all pre-owned.

I will be keeping my eye out for a deal on the 360 as I can return the one I purchased within 30 days this one is kind of shitty.

All I have to say is "Lawlz" EGM.

EGM WAS once a respect mag with a pretty solid rep. Now its a hallow version of its former self. I've been reading this new EGM's reviews on and off and I find that I rarely agree with them at all on anything. They gush over every JRPG they play and constantly bag on FPS games.

Honestly I couldn't give a fuck about reviews. I'm very picky about what I play so If I buy something these days I've done enough home work to know if it'll be something I like. If I end up disliking it I'll pop it on Ebay and make most of my money back.

Based on the live stream of Halo 4 from machinima , I'm extremely exciting for this new Halo. And it seems that 343 even managed to one up Bungie with a better game than Reach and I enjoyed Reach quite a bit (except armor lock , Bungie can rot in hell for that class ability).

Back