Halo 3 party question

Tzzird

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm having a number of friends over tomorrow for some 4 on 4 action. The problem is that I've never networked two xbox's together before. I have a router in my den. A 37 in. lcd in my room. And a 60 in. lcd proj. downstairs. I have a wireless attachment for my 360, but my friend bringing his 360 only has it wired. I have a number of LAN cables, including a 100ft one, so I'll be able to run a while from downstairs to up if need be.

That being said, does anyone have any advice on the best way to hook up a system link network?

It sounds like you have the equipment you need to hold an Xbox 360 LAN. Setup the router and run wired connections from both consoles to the router. It's a piece of cake.

I've held several Xbox 360 LAN parties at my house. If it helps, here's how I have my network setup:

4-Port Router --> 16-Port Switch --> Xbox 360 Consoles

I have a 16-port switch in the basement that is connected to a router in my bedroom which provides us an internet connection. Every Xbox 360 console is connected to the switch, so that we can get on Xbox Live in case we decide to play online or need to download game updates or content packs.

Well, my router is the one I got from AT&T dsl, so it only has one wired port available. It's mainly a wireless router. Can I just connect the 100 footer from one 360 to another and bypass the router? Thanks for the quick response btw.

You might be able to do that, but you will need a CAT5 Crossover (not regular) Ethernet cable. Do you know what type your 100 ft. cable is?

All I know is that it's probably nothing special. Bought it at a computer show 10 years back and have been using it since. It's been moved around so many times that the clips on both ends are broken off.

I found this somewhere: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910583

Connect two Xbox 360 consoles together for a system link match
1. Turn off the power to both Xbox 360 consoles.
2. Connect an Ethernet (RJ45) cable to the Ethernet port on the back of each Xbox 360 console.
3. Connect each Xbox 360 console to a separate TV.
4. Follow the game instructions for multiplayer gameplay to start playing.

Is RJ45 a crossover cable? Or just a typical one? They don't mention the word crossover.

RJ45 just refers to the connector type. For example, Ethernet cables use RJ45 connectors at each end. Telephone cables use RJ11.

RJ45 just refers to the connector type. For example, Ethernet cables use RJ45 connectors at each end. Telephone cables use RJ11.

So do you think just a regular ol RJ45 will do? The link makes it seem like it.

Although Microsoft doesn't specifically mention a Crossover cable, I remember I tried to network two original Xbox consoles several years ago to play Halo via System Link. It was a standard ethernet cable, not a Crossover cable, and it would not work. We had to plug in a hub/switch in order to get the consoles connected.

You could try to connect the consoles with the cable you have, but the last thing you want is to realize it isn't working and having to run out to buy a router while all your friends are at your house is no fun. I would personally visit Best Buy or Staples and buy a cheap $20-$30 switch. Run a cable from the AT&T modem to the switch, and then cables from each Xbox 360 console to the switch. That way, you'll have the consoles connected to each other and to Xbox Live if you decide you want to team up and take on the world.

Although Microsoft doesn't specifically mention a Crossover cable, I remember I tried to network two original Xbox consoles several years ago to play Halo via System Link. It was a standard ethernet cable, not a Crossover cable, and it would not work. We had to plug in a hub/switch in order to get the consoles connected.

You could try to connect the consoles with the cable you have, but the last thing you want is to realize it isn't working and having to run out to buy a router while all your friends are at your house is no fun. I would personally visit Best Buy or Staples and buy a cheap $20-$30 switch. Run a cable from the AT&T modem to the switch, and then cables from each Xbox 360 console to the switch. That way, you'll have the consoles connected to each other and to Xbox Live if you decide you want to team up and take on the world.

Well, would I just be able to connect one 360 via RJ45 to the AT&T modem/router and connect the other 360 via wireless? Would they find each other AND be able to both go online?

Yeah, that should work just fine. I don't know if the network connection will be as good using a wireless/wired combination, but if it's just two Xbox 360 consoles I see no reason why there should be any degradation in network connection quality.

Yeah, that should work just fine. I don't know if the network connection will be as good using a wireless/wired combination, but if it's just two Xbox 360 consoles I see no reason why there should be any degradation in network connection quality.

Great! Thanks again for your help. I told one of the guests to bring a hub just in case. But hopefully that works.

I haven't tried it myself, but I'm 90% sure you don't need a crossover cable for direct 360 to 360 link. It's been posted in here multiple times so I think it has some truth to it. Add to that they don't mention it in the description and you're set I think.

360 will crossover the connection so you can just use a regular ethernet cable for 360 to 360 connection.

360 will crossover the connection so you can just use a regular ethernet cable for 360 to 360 connection.

I thought I read that somewhere before as well. With the original Xbox you NEEDED a cross-over cable, to connect 2 systems together, with nothing inbetween (like a router). With the 360 you can use a standard ethernet cable and it'll work.

Good to know. I knew that the original Xbox required a crossover cable, but every time I've held an Xbox 360 LAN party we've used a router/switch combination so I wasn't sure if a crossover cable was required.

Results from the LAN party: It was a blast! Very easy to set up (direct connection with a 10 year old 100 foot regular LAN cable). Thank you for the help zero, and everyone else.

Back