Halo 3 not impressive at all

Ok, so your argument is that some random forum dweller who has never played the game has a more accurate opinion than the general concensus of people who write about video games for a living?

Do you even realize how ridiculous you sound?

I never said anything about a random forum dweller did I? Dont jump to conclusions for no reason.

I simply pointed out that people who write reviews for money, care more about money than their review. Its simple business.

I never said anything about a random forum dweller did I? Dont jump to conclusions for no reason.

I simply pointed out that people who write reviews for money, care more about money than their review. Its simple business.

Yep, they all became game journalists for the incredible money it pays. Are you really suggesting that every journalist out there can be easily bought off?

Conversely, imagine how much money and fame the one guy who exposed microsoft's scheme could make. If, as you say, money is the be all, end all to game journalists, surely 1 person would jump ship and expose the whole plan wouldn't he? They clearly bought dozens of reviews so one person acting out seems likely in your tin-foil scenario.

Yep, they all became game journalists for the incredible money it pays. Are you really suggesting that every journalist out there can be easily bought off?

Conversely, imagine how much money and fame the one guy who exposed microsoft's scheme could make. If, as you say, money is the be all, end all to game journalists, surely 1 person would jump ship and expose the whole plan wouldn't he? They clearly bought dozens of reviews so one person acting out seems likely in your tin-foil scenario.

This is the Internet; Logic not welcomed!

I believe every Halo 3 post should start with a disclaimer. The haters are annoying and pathetic. Halo isn't my favorite game, but it's obvious the game is well made and many people do love the series.

Halo 1 is one of the best on consoles, most innovative first-person shooters ever for a console. I rented Halo 2 last week to gear up for the Halo 3 release. Played it for about 2 hours and had to quit. It was insanely bland and boring.

I'll rent Halo 3 for sure - but I'm not expecting anything revolutionary.

I corrected your post.
While Halo 1 did bring great things, it has no one reached, even close, the top ten of games. Especially when you put it up against PC games, but for consoles I will give people that it holds it own in the top.

I corrected your post.
While Halo 1 did bring great things, it has no one reached, even close, the top ten of games. Especially when you put it up against PC games, but for consoles I will give people that it holds it own in the top.

You don't need to correct my post, because I had intially meant for any platform. Halo is one of my favorite shooters (for it's day), and I mainly play on PC.

You don't need to correct my post, because I had intially meant for any platform. Halo is one of my favorite shooters (for it's day), and I mainly play on PC.

But Halo in the grand picture of all PC, Console, etc. games is not one of the best. There are many more that started better things, created better environments, that gave Halo its revolutionary ways. Halo on console was good, but in the grand picture it is not in the top, to many PC games out rank it.

When I first played Halo on PC, all I could think was "This is it? This is what everyone was raving about?". I was really excited to play it after hearing so much about it from Xbox owners, and I went into it expecting to love it but it just wasn't what it had been hyped to be.

It's a good game, but not a great game. On the gold standard arbitrary rating scale, I'd give it a solid 7/10. It had it's moments, but the standard Sci-Fi story, atrocious level design, and been there done that gameplay held it back considerably.

Then, I happened to be alone in a friend's house with nothing to occupy my time but an Xbox and a few games. I looked through them, and the only one that I was interested in trying was Halo 2. I booted it up, sat through the very long, and very boring opening cutscene, and then settled in for what I hoped would be a fun diversion, since I was going to be alone for about 3 hours.

Within the first hour I'd turned it off, and decided to take a nap instead. The level design sucked, the combat wasn't all that engaging, and it didn't even seem as fun as the first game for some reason.

A couple times after that I tried the MP with friends, and wasn't impressed with that either. I always ended up asking them to put Unreal Championship 2 in instead.

I'm sure some day I will play Halo 3, and maybe this one will change my mind, but at this point in time I've got to say it's definitely the most overrated series in the history of gaming for me. I wanted to like the first game, and while it was enjoyable, it wasn't anything to write home about. I will say the music in it is awesome as hell though.

PC Gamers/Fanbois Chill/Dont Panic, not much longer to wait for Half Life 2 Episode 2, Team Fortress 2, Quake Wars, UT3, Crysis, Stranglehold, COD4, Brothers In Arms, Blacksite, Fear Expansion, Gears Of Wars, Hellgate, London. Let the 360 Gamers Hail their Master Cheif and have it be the only game they play, If they are missing out, their loss! Let them have their multiplayer Halo where everyone is always the same character but a different colour. All we want more in games is the very good Halo 3 replay data feature that isnt a first in a game as far as im aware with similar features done in pc games of the past like the old Carmageddon 3 lol, but let the 360 fans hail it as a new benchmark in gaming, PC gamers know better.

PC Gamers/Fanbois Chill/Dont Panic, not much longer to wait for Half Life 2 Episode 2, Team Fortress 2, Quake Wars, UT3, Crysis, Stranglehold, COD4, Brothers In Arms, Blacksite, Fear Expansion, Hellgate, London. Let the 360 Gamers Hail their Master Cheif and have it be the only game they play, If they are missing out, their loss! Let them have their multiplayer Halo where everyone is always the same character but a different colour. All we want more in games is the very good Halo 3 replay data feature that isnt a first in a game as far as im aware with similar features done in pc games of the past like the old Carmageddon 3 lol, but let the 360 fans hail it as a new benchmark in gaming, PC gamers know better.

lets see here..

HL2: EP 2? 360
UT3? 360 (albiet late)
Stranglehold? 360. (been there for a few weeks now)
CoD4? 360 (and in beta already, unlike the PC)
blacksite? 360
brothers in arms? 360.

so you see? 360 gamers aren't really missing out on the stuff you're claiming as your own.

lets see here..

HL2: EP 2? 360
UT3? 360 (albiet late)
Stranglehold? 360. (been there for a few weeks now)
CoD4? 360 (and in beta already, unlike the PC)
blacksite? 360
brothers in arms? 360.

so you see? 360 gamers aren't really missing out on the stuff you're claiming as your own.

I do not think he was saying you are not getting any of those games, but that there are much better coming (both to PC & consoles) that will easily surpass (and some that already have) Halo 3.

I'll reserve judgement for when I play it, but based on the first 2 games I really enjoyed them (save for the library levels in Halo 1. I think everyone hated that level)

From what I've seen on all the Halo vidocs, it looks like fun.

On the graphics question, I'm not sure that Bungie was going for the "omg grafix Bl0w0ut!!" aspect... were they?

I do not think he was saying you are not getting any of those games, but that there are much better coming (both to PC & consoles) that will easily surpass (and some that already have) Halo 3.
Thank You!

easily surpass?

i dont know about that. while some of those games will be great, i doubt many (or any) will have the staying power that a halo game will. there will be a massive online community for years to come. hell, the co-op in the game will keep me playing for a year or so at least. tell me how many of those games mentioned above will have co-op? i know hellgate will, but honestly, i dont know about the others.

easily surpass?

i dont know about that. while some of those games will be great, i doubt many (or any) will have the staying power that a halo game will. there will be a massive online community for years to come. hell, the co-op in the game will keep me playing for a year or so at least. tell me how many of those games mentioned above will have co-op? i know hellgate will, but honestly, i dont know about the others.

Co-op is one feature that you like which will keep you into the game longer than others. There are features on other games that will bring others back to X game also.

Im not an anti-fan boy, I will probably buy it. Excuse the hell out of me for not buying into all the nutswinging and the hype. Halo 2 had 95%+ ratings too, and I thought it stunk, I guess im an anti-fan boy!!!

And if you think ALL reviews are fair an unbiased, lay off the crack pipe.
I should have known better to post in the console/aka nutswingers sub forum.

i dont think anyone here is foolish enough to think that the press is unbiased when giving a review of a title with the marketing machine that halo 3 has behind it.

*but* i would suggest that when you have universal praise being shown for a title across the board, that one should consider that maybe it *is* that good.

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/926632.asp

Is Halo overhyped...Sure it is! is Halo a good series...Sure it is! and that it all that matter is that it's done well and plays well imo. Looking forward to picking this up tomorrow or maybe even tonight at midnight but work in the morning sucks.

i dont think anyone here is foolish enough to think that the press is unbiased when giving a review of a title with the marketing machine that halo 3 has behind it.

*but* i would suggest that when you have universal praise being shown for a title across the board, that one should consider that maybe it *is* that good.

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/926632.asp

I agree with this, and I have yet to post my own opinion as I have not played it. I was simply defending someones else assertion that you cant trust reviews.

And the opposite should also be true, just because a bunch of gaming review sites says its the best thing since toilet paper was invented doesn't mean it is.

I paid off the copy of Halo 3 that I reserved months ago and know for a fact that the store has a copy with my name on it. Now I have to ask myself: Do I wait in line at 9pm so that I can get it at midnight and then possibly call into work "sick" tomorrow just so I can play it? or wait till 10am and pick it up?

The graphics for Halo and Halo2 weren't that great why should Halo3 be any different graphics don't really mean much to the masses, and some will convince themselves that the graphics are the best out there like they did with its predecessors.

Haven't played the game yet and probably won’t tell it comes out on PC cus I hate console FPS, until then it's BF2 for me.

I do not have a Wii yet, I am saving it for as a Christmas present for my sons. But, wanting good graphics is all part of the package, especially considering the hardware in the 360 which is more then capable of some awesome graphics (R6 Vegas/Bioshock/etc.)

Bioshock I agree with you on the graphics.
R6 Vegas...enh not so much. While it's great fun to play, the graphics on the 360 version are not that impressive. I especially wouldn't point it out as a flagship for the capabilities of the 360. The PC version does look great, but the 360 version looks not much better than the graphics from Tenchu on playstation.

As for the graphics for Halo 3, I would expect them to look at least as good as Gears, but I understand that's expecting alot. My main concern at this point is the framerate that the game plays at. The original Halo 2 played on the 360, for example, I believe runs at about 30fps. CoD 4 on the 360 appears to run about 60 fps. Does Halo 3 run at 60 fps or 30? At 60 it would be killer. At 30...blah...

easily surpass?

32 player coop serious sam 2 ftw lmao!!

Have the day off from work tomorrow, Halo 3 midnight launch here I come!

Well after my original post i see most people are up in Arms, After playing the game further im getting really bored, Same enemies and what seems like the same levels over and over again. Maybe im spoiled by PC titles, and yes i know its not always about the graphics i play my Wii just as much as my 360 but i was Expecting Halo3 to be the end all of all Console titles, so i guess ill just be letdown and pray UT3 is gonna rok.

32 player coop serious sam 2 ftw lmao!!

More isn't necessarily better. Halo's game design simply works extremely well in a cooperative format. Nothing against SS. I love the games. Just the same, I will always love Halo's cooperative campaign mode.

Actually i would care about the graphics if i were you. Your paying the $59.99 per game for the "Next Gen Experience" Thats how they justified the price increase at one time. If the graphics are crap and story good then your not getting a next gen experience. The fact that it has the name HALO in it will guarantee good reviews, but i would stop supporting the developers and start demanding quality for the higher priced games.
God, reading this is depressing.

I corrected the spelling in the title of this thread. Seeing it every day in my "subscribed threads" folder was starting to get to me.

9.5 from ign, 9.5 from gamespot, 10 from 1up, man this game SUCKS!

i diddnt say it sucks i said its ana verage game. this game is noway better then bioshock for example yet it scored higher than it.

i dont have to play every single game out there for me tom comment on it. i have played the beta and it wasnt that great. people say this game is similar to halo 1 and 2 and if thats true then this game is average at best.

just because review sites praise the game dont mean its realy that good. you do know that most of these review sites where most likely paid by MS to rate the game so high OR the reviewers are halo lovers with a very biased opinion. let someone who has play PC fpsg games to death and you will see a PROPER review of the game.

check back in a week or two on hexus.net has you will see a unbiased review of the game.

its realy ironic that there are sufficient amount of people claiming this game as average yet when bioshock was released hardly ANYONE complained that the game sucked. i think there was only 1 thread critisising bioshock which was a very small thread. now here in this forum there are a couple of halo threads aimed at critsising the halo series all spamming over 4 pages long LOL.

CAN YOU HALO LOVERS ACTUALY RATE THIS GAME BETTER THAN BIOSHOCK in terms of storymode and gameplay?

The game is gonna be good, I doubt MS would have released it otherwise.

To comment on reviews, they are usually pretty close but you must realize that most reviews are written by say 1 to 3 people? So its just like getting the opinion of a friend really. Just because they write for one of the gaming websites doesn't make their opinion any more or less relevant than someone elses IMO. And they are surely not paid off by the companies, that would be a giant NO NO in the publishing world...and said company would be eaten alive if that were actually true.

I am looking forward to Halo 3, but it is a game so I feel no need to wait in line or play it on the first day. I will get around to it when I get around to it :)

First of all:
i diddnt say it sucks i said its ana verage game.

jonneymendoza said:
why are people surpried that this game sucks?

Second,
jonneymendoza said:
CAN YOU HALO LOVERS ACTUALY RATE THIS GAME BETTER THAN BIOSHOCK in terms of storymode and gameplay?

Guess what? I'm gonna play it myself and find out. I'm certainly not going on the internet and talking shit about a game that I haven't played and that I have no intention whatsoever of playing in the future.

Some people seriously amaze me.

im just going to ignore jonny from here on. spewing venom on a game that you haven't played is ignorant and reckless.

im just going to ignore jonny from here on. spewing venom on a game that you haven't played is ignorant and reckless.

Jonney did give me the motivation to find that feature on these boards. I never had a reason to use it before.

like i said i dont have to play the game to know its going to be averge. halo 3 is overated. is it better than bioshock in your honest opinion? if so please state your reasons

I played it on a friends 360 and its a good game.
You dont feel like putting the controller down and it isnt a bad spectator sport too.
Its not a 10 though, it would at least need better graphics.

I will be getting it for PC.

like i said i dont have to play the game to know its going to be averge. halo 3 is overated. is it better than bioshock in your honest opinion? if so please state your reasons

You had a chance to redeem yourself, now I wont take anything you say seriously.

Back