Halo 2 gamers face Vista upgrade...

meatfestival said:
Perhaps they're porting Halo 2 to use Halo 3's engine.
Not likely. If you remember, all the did with the halo pc port was goose it up to dx9 and release it. No significant engine changes otherwise. same game, same look, same play. Thats what you can expect with halo 2 pc. Not that it'll be a bad thing, just don't expect mass innovation.

Vagamus said:
Not likely. If you remember, all the did with the halo pc port was goose it up to dx9 and release it. No significant engine changes otherwise. same game, same look, same play. Thats what you can expect with halo 2 pc. Not that it'll be a bad thing, just don't expect mass innovation.
I kinda agree. Yes, it will not use the engine that Halo 3 will run on. But no, this could be very, very close. The Xbox 360 has alot of upper-DX9 and new-DX10 stuff that Bungie could use for Halo 3. Vista will support DX10 too. So could we see alot of new talent learning how to wrangle DX10 for Halo 2 PC and then switch over and help out the Halo 3 crew? Quite possibly. At the least, Halo 2 PC will be a learning experiance for Bungie and whoever's helping them and a showcase for Vista's possibilities.

I do not think Halo 2 PC will be a straight port.

sethmo said:
So what can Vista do for gaming that XP and 64bit XP cant? What will Vista gaming enhance for Microsoft besides a larger pocketbook?

I read somewhere that when you launch an application that uses lots of recources (i.e. a game) it closes other backround tasks automaticly. If thats true then damn, I've been waiting for them to think of that forever.

devman said:
I read somewhere that when you launch an application that uses lots of recources (i.e. a game) it closes other backround tasks automaticly. If thats true then damn, I've been waiting for them to think of that forever.
I've heard about that too. I hope it's true.

Also, Vista is a "true" 64-bit OS. XP64-bit is a "pseudo" 64-bit OS in that it actually runs over a 32-bit XP emulator! :eek:

M4rk said:
I kinda agree. Yes, it will not use the engine that Halo 3 will run on. But no, this could be very, very close. The Xbox 360 has alot of upper-DX9 and new-DX10 stuff that Bungie could use for Halo 3. Vista will support DX10 too. So could we see alot of new talent learning how to wrangle DX10 for Halo 2 PC and then switch over and help out the Halo 3 crew? Quite possibly. At the least, Halo 2 PC will be a learning experiance for Bungie and whoever's helping them and a showcase for Vista's possibilities.

I do not think Halo 2 PC will be a straight port.
Last Halo to PC incarnation wasnt done by bungie, and it was, for all the sum of its parts, a direct port. A few mp tweaks, a few dx9 additions to the engine, and a ton of bugs.

The Halo 3 crew is not going to work on the halo 2 port, that would be a misuse of resources, which is exactly why gearhead was opted to do it last time. MS doesn't like side projects in-house, as many ex-ms devs will tell you.

MS has a rash of dumb ideas to sell hundreds of dollars worth of crap to us, this is just another. I am not holding my breath for Halo 2 as I did with Halo, nor am i holding my breath for Vista. You won't want to use Vista for its first year out anyways, if XP was any indication.

Same strategy they hope to use that they used with the x-box; Halo + X-Box = Money. Replace the X-Box with a new os that won't run many of the older games us PC types like to play. It might work, i've been surprised by the stupidity of the market before.

Vagamus said:
Last Halo to PC incarnation wasnt done by bungie, and it was, for all the sum of its parts, a direct port. A few mp tweaks, a few dx9 additions to the engine, and a ton of bugs.

The Halo 3 crew is not going to work on the halo 2 port, that would be a misuse of resources, which is exactly why gearhead was opted to do it last time. MS doesn't like side projects in-house, as many ex-ms devs will tell you.

MS has a rash of dumb ideas to sell hundreds of dollars worth of crap to us, this is just another. I am not holding my breath for Halo 2 as I did with Halo, nor am i holding my breath for Vista. You won't want to use Vista for its first year out anyways, if XP was any indication.

Same strategy they hope to use that they used with the x-box; Halo + X-Box = Money. Replace the X-Box with a new os that won't run many of the older games us PC types like to play. It might work, i've been surprised by the stupidity of the market before.
Right. Gearbox ported Halo PC. That's why they got pissed off that no updates were coming out for it and went ahead and made Halo CE: Custom Edition. I know the Halo 3 crew won't work on Halo 2 PC, but the Halo 2 PC crew might work on Halo 3. Think for a moment and take the time to read what Bungie posted on their own site, Bungie.net. It's enlightening.

meh, already tired of halo 2 anyway (and i never really did like it much to begin with)

making a PC port would mean it would essentially compete against other games in a 13-year old mostly PC-native platform. to me, the halo series just doesnt have the innovation of other FPS games -- compared to other FPS games on the PC, halo 1 and 2 seem very generic and bland

Well, MS isn't dumb. Surely they realize that a half-way improved port of a generic shooter that came out on the Xbox 3 years ago, won't make the intense gamers with 600$ video cards rush out to buy the thing.

M4rk said:
Right. Gearbox ported Halo PC. That's why they got pissed off that no updates were coming out for it and went ahead and made Halo CE: Custom Edition. I know the Halo 3 crew won't work on Halo 2 PC, but the Halo 2 PC crew might work on Halo 3. Think for a moment and take the time to read what Bungie posted on their own site, Bungie.net. It's enlightening.
Yeah, I am right. Glad you admitted it. If you recall, bungie said it was going to do the Halo PC port themselves, and look what happend there. Also said they'd release Halo for both platforms at the same time when they got acquired, and look where that went. I take anything they say now with a grain of salt.

Not tryin to smear em too much, but a trend has evolved since their acquisition.

M4rk said:
I've heard about that too. I hope it's true.

Also, Vista is a "true" 64-bit OS. XP64-bit is a "pseudo" 64-bit OS in that it actually runs over a 32-bit XP emulator! :eek:

wrong.. XP64 is 64bit, just 32bit appz run over an emulator

Back