Which was the better FPS?

• Halo 1

Votes: 29 18.7%
  • UT99

Votes: 126 81.3%

• Total voters

CodeX

2[H]4U
Which was the better FPS? I vote UT99, Halo was really repetitive and boring, UT I could play online for hours and hours on end... and still can.

I'm an Unreal addict, and while Halo is an impressive console FPS, compared across the entire FPS spectrum, it really is mediocre at best.

What? There is a comparison? UT99 blows the doors off Halo, no comparison at all. UT99 was amazing at its time, still is tons of fun to play today :)

Halo was boring after the second day I played it.

ut all the way. using vehicles was fun once in awhile in halo...thats why i played it mostly. and the fact i could play it online instead of the xbox version. but i think they did a shitty job with the port. it could have been so much better.

but ut was soooooo much fun. i should pick it up again. we used to play it along with q3 in our comp lab at school. great lan games.

I wasn't a huge fan of Unreal Tournament until about 2003/2004. For it's time, Halo was huge, and I got a lot of play time out of it with buds, so I'm siding with that - but just by a smidgen.

Halo. It was just fun to play, especially with a lot of people over, no matter how the game turned out. When I played UT, I found myself getting too competitive and high strung at times.

FoxhoundOp said:
Halo. It was just fun to play, especially with a lot of people over, no matter how the game turned out. When I played UT, I found myself getting too competitive and high strung at times.

ah but thats the fun of it. i used to get pissed all the time playin wolf:et but i played it for a LONG time. worth every minute

Tough choice, but I'd go with Halo. The first half of Halo's SP ( second half was just a copy & paste of the first half :mad: ) was some of most fun I've had in a FPS, the MP was great too.

I went with UT, but keep in mind that it's more or less just multiplayer and bots. Halo was a great overall game using co-op AND multiplayer. I think the various modes for UT and how revolutionary it was make it better...but only slightly.

Is this a joke?

UT 99 would be in my top 10 best games of all time.

I don't think Halo could make my top 100. It would be probably in my top 20 worst games of all time.

s_s256 said:
Is this a joke?

QFMFT, it isn't even remotely close.

UT99 was one of the best PC games ever! The only reason halo had any popularity on the PC was because of the huge hype on the xbox. I couldn't bring myself to finish the single player due to the extreme repetative nature of it. Anybody who picks halo must really hate the UT series, have never played it, or are 15 years old or less

Comparing UT99 to Halo 1 is like comparing apples to oranges. UT99 is a lot more multiplayer based while Halo 1 is a lot more SP based. Of course UT99 is going to be better

Halo. I played through the game countless times, and the split screen multiplayer was great when having people over. Halo also had a good plot. I found UT to be bland, and uninspiring.

Both games excel at different things, solo vs muliplayer, so this comparisson is a little suspect, as is the fact it was placed in PC gaming & Hardware and not console gaming. ;)

ScreamingBroccoli said:
QFMFT, it isn't even remotely close.

UT99 was one of the best PC games ever! The only reason halo had any popularity on the PC was because of the huge hype on the xbox. I couldn't bring myself to finish the single player due to the extreme repetative nature of it. Anybody who picks halo must really hate the UT series, have never played it, or are 15 years old or less
I picked Halo. I loved both series. I'm 19 years old.

I think we might be discovering that not everyone out there in the world has the same opinion as you. How cute.

FoxhoundOp said:
I picked Halo. I loved both series. I'm 19 years old.

I think we might be discovering that not everyone out there in the world has the same opinion as you. How cute.

So do you want a cookie because your oppinion is different than mine? Welcome to the internets...

ScreamingBroccoli said:
So do you want a cookie because your oppinion is different than mine?

I think what he said was, opinions are like assholes ....

There needs to be an option: They both suck.

I voted HALO because it didn't make me want to tear my eyes out from the godawful look of my surroundings.

Mark_Warner said:
There needs to be an option: They both suck.

I voted HALO because it didn't make me want to tear my eyes out from the godawful look of my surroundings.

How many YEARS seperarted these two titles? 4-5? Of course Halo will graphically look better. Hell the Xbox was faster then all the computers back then.

UT99 all the way

and for the record..... pointless poll.

UT99. It's the game that got me into PC gaming and my favorite game of all time. :D

UT was epic. I think the grahics are still pretty good, at a good resolution with AA and AF. I actually prefer many of it's weapon effects, especially that of the shock rifle, over UT 2004. If UT 2007 is like UT was I will be an exceedingly happy person.

That_Sound_Guy said:
How many YEARS seperarted these two titles? 4-5? Of course Halo will graphically look better. Hell the Xbox was faster then all the computers back then.

UT99 all the way

and for the record..... pointless poll.

I thought UT99 looked like crap even when it came out. The weapons looked nice, but the player meshes and the levels were horrible. It takes more than pretty weapons to make a game good.

Gameplay is what counts, and the original Unreal Tournament is king. And for the record, I think the game looks great graphically, even today.

Mark_Warner said:
I thought UT99 looked like crap even when it came out. The weapons looked nice, but the player meshes and the levels were horrible. It takes more than pretty weapons to make a game good.
UT99 was amazing graphically and gameplay wise imo. And like the Nintendo f anboys say, it's not all about graphics.

ScreamingBroccoli said:
Then wtf is the point of this thread?

Nothing wrong with sharing your opinion, but one of the guys earlier in the thread had to be an elitist dick by calling everyone who voted for Halo either never played both games or is 15 years old.

dj_2004 said:
UT99 was amazing graphically and gameplay wise imo. And like the Nintendo f anboys say, it's not all about graphics.

I preferred Q3 at the time. The weapons weren't as elaborate, but the level design was superior, in my opinion, as well as the gameplay.

aznpxdd said:
Nothing wrong with sharing your opinion, but one of the guys earlier in the thread had to be an elitist dick by calling everyone who voted for Halo either never played both games or is 15 years old.

It was the same guy you just quoted.

I dont even understand how Halo can compare!?!?!

UT99 forever!

*can you tell I am a die hard UT fan? ;)

aznpxdd said:

May be true, but the poll seems to agree w/ me

how can we even compared those 2... UT99 vs halo 1...

wow... just .. wow

im sick of hearing about how halo is the best game of all time from nearly everyone in my school. it was good for a while. but after playing it and nothing but it for three years after it came out, it has gotten really stale and boring. people over here need to get introduced to real fpses, like cs or ut. hell, i'll take daikatana at this point :(.

Back