Halflife 2 uses SM 3.0 Read it and Weap

why should we be weeping, isn't it a good thing? although both 3dc and sm 3.0 won't come out of the box but added shortly later. still not sure if HDR comes out of the box or not.

rcf1987 said:
yes im talking about for people owning a x800

they really shouldn't be worried as valve is going to add 3dc for some nice performance boosts and possible IQ gains.

rcf1987 said:
Maybe it'll make a big difference, maybe it won't. Chances are SM 2.0b will have excellent IQ and there might be some small difference when SM 3.0 is used. There's the chance that the 6800U might be faster than the X800 XT in SM 3.0... or maybe it won't be We will really have to wait and see, everything now is PURE speculation.

yea thats all we need is an ATI vs Nvidia flame war when half life 2 comes out and gets benchmarked. but it inevitable. it will happen. you can almost guarrentee the wat will come :rolleyes:

2.0b is also where 3.0 is. Which so far, nets the same performance gains. The only example we have of this is Farcry, with the recalled 1.2 patch.

Good try on starting a flame thread though?

lol look at the games list....Lord of the rings: Battle for the middle earth, Stalker: Shadows of Chernobyl, Splinter Cell 3, Tiger Woods 2005, Vampire: Bloodlines, Tiger Woods 2005, Madden 2005, Driver 3.0, Grafan, Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault, Patched Painkiller and patched Far cry.

crap. that really makes me wonder what to do. i was waiting until hl2 went gold to get a new video card and i was wanting to go ati...but...

So stupid who would weep for it having shader model 3 support. You can bet it has shader model 2.0b support too ;). It´s great they having shader model 3 support there is no drawback whatsoever.

You don´t have to weep anyway. It doesn´t mean the game will run less good in PS 2.0 mode than it did before ;)

yeah but when the new ati 512 cards are out youll all be wishing you had an ati card already since its way easier to interchange ati cards, then to switch for nvidia to ati (I have to erase what? all the drivers and anything associated with them i might as well format)

Gwaaa Haaaaaaa HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

well, technically Nvidia already has a 512mb card out, its a quadro though. also I expect that both companies will come out with 512mb cards about the same time

Slacker6000 said:
yeah but when the new ati 512 cards are out youll all be wishing you had an ati card already since its way easier to interchange ati cards, then to switch for nvidia to ati (I have to erase what? all the drivers and anything associated with them i might as well format)

Gwaaa Haaaaaaa HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

And it takes a whole of 2 minutes and a reboot to uninstall the drivers...damn, I should have gotten an ATi card... :rolleyes:

I expect that Hl-2 will run faster on ATi cards because its ATi's game. Although I do believe that my Ultra will be able to handle it a lot better then my old 9700pro could.

has it occured to anybody else the fact that one card may be better than the other but that they both should be playable enough for the enjoyment of the user?

it's sort of like how a ferrari may be faster than a porsche, but anybody would still take a porsche.

HRslammR said:
has it occured to anybody else the fact that one card may be better than the other but that they both should be playable enough for the enjoyment of the user?

it's sort of like how a ferrari may be faster than a porsche, but anybody would still take a porsche.

exactly.

HRslammR said:

that's a mute point well for the hardcore fps'ers out there. ask any serious fps player they can never get enough of FPS. if you can get higher fps you can get higher iq in general. even if the difference is 5fps between the two cards. the fact is this is a small percentage of players out there and the people who turn off all iq to have to best frames, no joke.

what can be an acceptable avg fps of 60 to most can be a complete joke to the hardcore; people who actually play competitively online. i'm one of these players.

Just guess i am not hardcore or serious enough to have high FPS's in games
maybe becasue i don't want to play the latest games at 640x480 Preformance 0xAA 0xAF :rolleyes:

HRslammR said:
I'd take the Ferrari, so don't generalize,
on topic, I don't think either side has reason to weep, as both companies latest cards seem to run the engine just fine with decent speed. any further speed increases are just icing on the cake

TrueRush said:
that's a mute point well for the hardcore fps'ers out there. ask any serious fps player they can never get enough of FPS. if you can get higher fps you can get higher iq in general. even if the difference is 5fps between the two cards. the fact is this is a small percentage of players out there and the people who turn off all iq to have to best frames, no joke.

what can be an acceptable avg fps of 60 to most can be a complete joke to the hardcore; people who actually play competitively online. i'm one of these players.

And you make up 1% of the total gaming community. If you need the fastest card buy it, most of us don't play games will all quality setting off and low resolution so that we can have uber FPS. And most of us would have a hard time telling an Ultra from an XT if we weren't told what was inside the box.

HRslammR said:

Not if the porsche costs the same as the ferrari.

Merlin45 said:
I'd take the Ferrari, so don't generalize,
on topic, I don't think either side has reason to weep, as both companies latest cards seem to run the engine just fine with decent speed. any further speed increases are just icing on the cake

So your saying if someone offered you a porsche you would say "no."

rcf1987 said:

Judging from your little attempts at instigation, I'd assume you're pretty happy about running SM3.0 while all those ATI nurbs are stuck back in the dark ages, eh?

Good luck running SM3.0 on that DX8 video card. :rolleyes:

finalgt said:
Judging from your little attempts at instigation, I'd assume you're pretty happy about running SM3.0 while all those ATI nurbs are stuck back in the dark ages, eh?

Good luck running SM3.0 on that DX8 video card. :rolleyes:

lol!

SuX0rz said:
So your saying if someone offered you a porsche you would say "no."

What kind of screwed up analogy is that? Is anyone offering you an X800Pro or a 6800GT? NO? You're paying for it? GASP!

So you're saying if a porsche and ferrari cost the same you would go with the "porsche."

And no, a true mod-enthusiast would choose a 1982 Trans Am and get the Knight Industries Two Thousand body kit. ;)

The Batman said:
What kind of fucked up analogy is that? Is anyone offering you an X800Pro or a 6800GT? NO? You're paying for it? GASP!

So you're saying if a porsche and ferrari cost the same you would go with the 'porsche'.

in that analogy, i'd take the porsche... Something about a twin-turbo'd rear engine, rear wheel drive capable of producing 700+hp and still have german engineering.....

mmm.... something that Italians cannot do.

Back