HALFLIFE 2 and BFG 6800GT

carblow12

Limp Gawd
When i play halflife 2 and halflife 2 deatchmatch the game pauses for like 4-8 secs then goes back to normal and does it again like 10 secs later. My video doesn't go beyond 80C what could the problem be? Could it be something else besides my video card? If anyone had the same problem and it got fixed please help me. I am running NO AA/AF b/c on steampowered.com they said turn it down and add this code in lauch options fixes the problem, but the samething happens. Thanks for the input.

It is a well known bug in Half-Life 2. It has nothing to do with your graphics card. Go to the steampowered.com forums and you will see a topic in the Half-Life 2 section with about 500,000 (not exaggerating) views about this problem.

What quality textures do you have? I found at High quality, my sound stuttered a lot, but with it on Medium.. it went away.

mashie said:
Enable sound prefetch.

With all due respect I have tried everything mentioned in that thread with regards to tweaking the game to run smoothly, but NONE OF IT WORKS. I get the same stutteting that thousands of other players are getting. Not acceptable when other game releases (D3) play flawlessly right out of the box.

Update me if you can but I don't think Valve are pushing a fix out quick enough considering the size of that thread at steampowered.

:)

Bradster said:
Not acceptable when other game releases (D3) play flawlessly right out of the box.

:)

For me, D3 didn't work flawlessly out of the box. I had to tweak it a lot before I got it to play consistently. Didn't matter much though, only got to Delta Labs and stopped playing because it was boring.

HL2 didn't work properly out of the box either. Thankfull, one of the updates made the mad hitching go away. The only tweak I had to do was turn off the auto save...if that even counts.

Killdozer said:
For me, D3 didn't work flawlessly out of the box. I had to tweak it a lot before I got it to play consistently. Didn't matter much though, only got to Delta Labs and stopped playing because it was boring.

HL2 didn't work properly out of the box either. Thankfull, one of the updates made the mad hitching go away. The only tweak I had to do was turn off the auto save...if that even counts.

Well, I am happy that someone had a good result! But myself and countless others have not. D3 worked out of the box, as do the majority of the other games I have bought. Sorry, I am just a little disappointed with the release of HL2 - beautiful game, let down by a few problems that do not seem to be getting addressed.

I have patience though - HL2 is not the only game tp play at the moment. I am hoping they will bring a fix out to cure these problems for everyone.

The game hitching unfortunately affects a wide spectrum of hardware of all brands and there is no patch that completely fixes it at this point. Not really sure what to tell you, because Valve does not answer the tech support requests at their site (I've had 3 open for over a week) and they have not provided an adequate fix for this bug.

Valve really need to get off there arses with this pretty quik as i get hitching currently in both my X800XTPE and my BFG6800GT :eek: wheres the patch valve :mad:

Bradster said:
tranCendenZ, does it hitch on your rig?

yep, it seemed to get worse as the game went on. Either that or the first patch that they attempted to fix it with made it worse. One fix is apparently setting the HL2.EXE process to low priority, though I haven't gotten the opportunity to try that one.

tranCendenZ said:
yep, it seemed to get worse as the game went on. Either that or the first patch that they attempted to fix it with made it worse. One fix is apparently setting the HL2.EXE process to low priority, though I haven't gotten the opportunity to try that one.

Yeah, I read about that but Im at work so have to wait. I would be surprised if this works for everyone though

Since I don't get hitching anymore, I guess I should post my rig:
Athlon @2.2Ghz
9800Pro Overclocked
2x80Gb WesternDigital HDD
2x512 PC3200 Ram
Everything high/full, 4xAA 8xAF

Before, it would hitch like mad. After one of the updates, it stopped hitching.
I also turned off autosave.

I enbaled sound prefetch and some of the sounds in the game are no longer playing and when ppl talk they start to talk over each other so the words are hard to keep up with. Although it did smooth the game play some.

Back